Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > OT: Blue-ray on component cables

OT: Blue-ray on component cables

Archimedes' Lever

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 22:25:41 GMT, "Head Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> [...]
>>>converter from HDMI to DVI, you can get "handshaking" problems that could
>>>give a black screen, which would cause the same end result. Now,
>>>component
>>>will go up to 1080p, so, assuming the down-convert doesn't happen, I
>>>should
>>>be able to get full, higher resolution. I am thinking about getting a
>>>blue-ray player, but don't want to if my TV won't show it properly. I am
>>>even thinking about going to a Rent-a-center and getting a PS3 for a
>>>weekend
>>>to see how it does.
>>>
>>>Has anyone tried this? If so, how well does it work?
>>>
>>>Also, on a side note, will a blue-ray player actually tell you what
>>>resolution it is outputting at? My TV (a Sony 36" WEGA) will show what
>>>input it is set to (video 1, video 2, etc), and my COX HD-DVR receiver
>>>shows
>>>what resolution it is receiving at, but I can't tell what my TV is
>>>actually
>>>displaying at. I am running through an HDMI-DVI converter cable, with
>>>separate audio cables (HDMI cable passes audio, DVI does not) and
>>>sometimes
>>>the DVR thinks I am trying to copy the video and says it is disabling the
>>>HD, but the picture still shows widescreen, and clear, and the DVR still
>>>shows HD signal, so I don't know if it is kidding or not.
>>>
>>>Anyway, thanks for any assistance.
>>>

>> The PS3 will put out to the component out, but will be at 480p.
>>
>> I have an old Toshiba glass CRT combo display that only has component
>> in (or less), that I haven't tried yet.
>>
>> Essentially, if it is not HDCP compliant, it will get resolution
>> handcuffed.
>>
>> However, my Toshiba 46" runs both BD and HD DVD titles via the computer,
>> and is only able to do that because the software, my graphics card (DVI
>> only), and my display are all HDCP compliant. So I pump it via the HDMI
>> in with a DVI to HDMI cable. I have used a DVI to HDMI converter
>> connector as well on a regular DVI to DVI cable.
>>
>> My Xbox (1st gen) pumped my HDTV at 720p via component hooks. Need to
>> try the PS3 to see what it does. I may get 720p out of the component
>> cables, but it will dress back to 480p on Blu Ray DVD playback. I'd
>> almost bet.

>You are probably right. Although, I have a PC with a graphics cards that
>says it is fully HDCP compliant. I tried hooking it up to my Sony once via
>DVI. It was interesting. The PC saw the Sony, but I guess the PCs
>widescreen wasn't tha same as the TV, because the TV seemed to zoom the
>picture to full screen, then cuts off top and bottom with black bars for DVI
>widescreen. No matter what resolution I set the PC to, it always got the
>top and bottom cut off. If I set to a std resolution for 4:3 like 640x480,
>I lost top and bottom. If I set to a wide screen, I would still lose top
>and bottom, but not as much, but enough so I couldn't see the START button

Sounds like you have your display set to zoom.

Archimedes' Lever

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 23:13:42 -0000, "The dog from that film you saw"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Head Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:5Fqfl.318055$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> If his display is not HDCP compliant, the PS3 will only feed 480p to
>>> it. Regardless of the cabling used.

>> Since the TV only has the DVI, I doubt it is HDCP compliant. Bummer. I
>> have the HDMI to DVI cable already. OK, the concensus is, the PS3 will
>> downshift. Will a standalone Blue-Ray player also? Or is it a matter of,
>> maybe yes, maybe no, try it see? And, if it does downshift, will it tell
>> you it is doing it?
>>

>my sharp tv with dvi input only is HDMI compliant - if you already have the
>cable why not try?

No, it is not. It MIGHT be and likely is HDCP compliant.

It cannot possibly be HDMI compliant without actually having an HDMI
connector. Think about it.

The dog from that film you saw

"Archimedes' Lever" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

>>my sharp tv with dvi input only is HDMI compliant - if you already have
>>the
>>cable why not try?

> No, it is not. It MIGHT be and likely is HDCP compliant.
>
> It cannot possibly be HDMI compliant without actually having an HDMI
> connector. Think about it.

indeed.
it's HDCP compliant - that's what happens when you try typing coherent
messages at 7am.

--
Gareth.

that fly...... is your magic wand....

are all 350mhz cables cat6 cables? yawnmoth Computer Information 0 08-10-2006 04:46 PM
Expensive Component Cables actaully work for me. Alyssa DVD Video 1 01-04-2006 04:43 PM
Component Cables teem DVD Video 14 01-03-2006 06:18 AM
Can RCA Composite Cables be used for Component Video? needin4mation@gmail.com DVD Video 1 12-02-2005 07:57 PM
component and composite cables Andrew NZ Computing 10 05-16-2005 11:08 PM

Advertisments