Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > OT: Blue-ray on component cables

OT: Blue-ray on component cables

Head Hunter

Has anyone out there hooked up a blue-ray player using component instead of
HDMI? My TV is HD, but is older, and has several sets on component video
inputs, and one DVI input (like PCs have), but not HDMI. I have heard that,
when blue-ray first came out, SONY made it so it could/would down-convert a
blue-ray DVD to std DVD resolution if it didn't have a compliant HDMI
connection.

However, I have also heard that, while that is allowed in the blue-ray spec,
no one has actually implemented it. But, if you try to go through a
converter from HDMI to DVI, you can get "handshaking" problems that could
give a black screen, which would cause the same end result. Now, component
will go up to 1080p, so, assuming the down-convert doesn't happen, I should
be able to get full, higher resolution. I am thinking about getting a
blue-ray player, but don't want to if my TV won't show it properly. I am
even thinking about going to a Rent-a-center and getting a PS3 for a weekend
to see how it does.

Has anyone tried this? If so, how well does it work?

Also, on a side note, will a blue-ray player actually tell you what
resolution it is outputting at? My TV (a Sony 36" WEGA) will show what
input it is set to (video 1, video 2, etc), and my COX HD-DVR receiver shows
what resolution it is receiving at, but I can't tell what my TV is actually
displaying at. I am running through an HDMI-DVI converter cable, with
separate audio cables (HDMI cable passes audio, DVI does not) and sometimes
the DVR thinks I am trying to copy the video and says it is disabling the
HD, but the picture still shows widescreen, and clear, and the DVR still
shows HD signal, so I don't know if it is kidding or not.

Anyway, thanks for any assistance.

Archimedes' Lever

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 00:07:07 GMT, "Head Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Has anyone out there hooked up a blue-ray player using component instead of
>HDMI? My TV is HD, but is older, and has several sets on component video
>inputs, and one DVI input (like PCs have), but not HDMI. I have heard that,
>when blue-ray first came out, SONY made it so it could/would down-convert a
>blue-ray DVD to std DVD resolution if it didn't have a compliant HDMI
>connection.
>
>However, I have also heard that, while that is allowed in the blue-ray spec,
>no one has actually implemented it. But, if you try to go through a
>converter from HDMI to DVI, you can get "handshaking" problems that could
>give a black screen, which would cause the same end result. Now, component
>will go up to 1080p, so, assuming the down-convert doesn't happen, I should
>be able to get full, higher resolution. I am thinking about getting a
>blue-ray player, but don't want to if my TV won't show it properly. I am
>even thinking about going to a Rent-a-center and getting a PS3 for a weekend
>to see how it does.
>
>Has anyone tried this? If so, how well does it work?
>
>Also, on a side note, will a blue-ray player actually tell you what
>resolution it is outputting at? My TV (a Sony 36" WEGA) will show what
>input it is set to (video 1, video 2, etc), and my COX HD-DVR receiver shows
>what resolution it is receiving at, but I can't tell what my TV is actually
>displaying at. I am running through an HDMI-DVI converter cable, with
>separate audio cables (HDMI cable passes audio, DVI does not) and sometimes
>the DVR thinks I am trying to copy the video and says it is disabling the
>HD, but the picture still shows widescreen, and clear, and the DVR still
>shows HD signal, so I don't know if it is kidding or not.
>
>Anyway, thanks for any assistance.

The PS3 will put out to the component out, but will be at 480p.

I have an old Toshiba glass CRT combo display that only has component
in (or less), that I haven't tried yet.

Essentially, if it is not HDCP compliant, it will get resolution
handcuffed.

However, my Toshiba 46" runs both BD and HD DVD titles via the computer,
and is only able to do that because the software, my graphics card (DVI
only), and my display are all HDCP compliant. So I pump it via the HDMI
in with a DVI to HDMI cable. I have used a DVI to HDMI converter
connector as well on a regular DVI to DVI cable.

My Xbox (1st gen) pumped my HDTV at 720p via component hooks. Need to
try the PS3 to see what it does. I may get 720p out of the component
cables, but it will dress back to 480p on Blu Ray DVD playback. I'd
almost bet.

The dog from that film you saw

"Head Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LYsel.311007$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has anyone out there hooked up a blue-ray player using component instead
> of HDMI? My TV is HD, but is older, and has several sets on component
> video inputs, and one DVI input (like PCs have), but not HDMI. I have
> heard that, when blue-ray first came out, SONY made it so it could/would
> down-convert a blue-ray DVD to std DVD resolution if it didn't have a
> compliant HDMI connection.
>
> However, I have also heard that, while that is allowed in the blue-ray
> spec, no one has actually implemented it. But, if you try to go through a
> converter from HDMI to DVI, you can get "handshaking" problems that could
> give a black screen,

no converter needed - just a cable thats HDMI at one end and DVI at the
other - plus a set of audio cables.

--
Gareth.

that fly...... is your magic wand....

anthony

On Jan 25, 8:13*am, "The dog from that film you saw"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Head Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:LYsel.311007$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Has anyone out there hooked up a blue-ray player using component instead
> > of HDMI? *My TV is HD, but is older, and has several sets on component
> > video inputs, and one DVI input (like PCs have), but not HDMI. *I have
> > heard that, when blue-ray first came out, SONY made it so it could/would
> > down-convert a blue-ray DVD to std DVD resolution if it didn't have a
> > compliant HDMI connection.

> > However, I have also heard that, while that is allowed in the blue-ray
> > spec, no one has actually implemented it. *But, if you try to go through a
> > converter from HDMI to DVI, you can get "handshaking" problems that could
> > give a black screen,

> no converter needed - just a cable thats HDMI at one end and DVI at the
> other - plus a set of audio cables.
>
> --
> Gareth.
>
> that fly...... is your magic wand....

That's right. Just google for an HDMI to DVI lead. It's basically the
same thing minus the audio segment.

Archimedes' Lever

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 01:48:49 -0800 (PST), anthony
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Jan 25, 8:13*am, "The dog from that film you saw"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Head Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:LYsel.311007$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> > Has anyone out there hooked up a blue-ray player using component instead
>> > of HDMI? *My TV is HD, but is older, and has several sets on component
>> > video inputs, and one DVI input (like PCs have), but not HDMI. *I have
>> > heard that, when blue-ray first came out, SONY made it so it could/would
>> > down-convert a blue-ray DVD to std DVD resolution if it didn't have a
>> > compliant HDMI connection.

>> > However, I have also heard that, while that is allowed in the blue-ray
>> > spec, no one has actually implemented it. *But, if you try to go through a
>> > converter from HDMI to DVI, you can get "handshaking" problems that could
>> > give a black screen,

>> no converter needed - just a cable thats HDMI at one end and DVI at the
>> other - plus a set of audio cables.
>>
>> --
>> Gareth.
>>
>> that fly...... is your magic wand....

> That's right. Just google for an HDMI to DVI lead. It's basically the
>same thing minus the audio segment.

If his display is not HDCP compliant, the PS3 will only feed 480p to
it. Regardless of the cabling used.

Archimedes' Lever

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 07:41:52 -0800, Kuskokwim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 00:07:07 GMT, Head Hunter wrote:
>
>> Has anyone out there hooked up a blue-ray player using component instead of
>> HDMI? My TV is HD, but is older, and has several sets on component video
>> inputs, and one DVI input (like PCs have), but not HDMI.

snipped stupid links

Lame

Head Hunter

>> That's right. Just google for an HDMI to DVI lead. It's basically the
>>same thing minus the audio segment.

> If his display is not HDCP compliant, the PS3 will only feed 480p to
> it. Regardless of the cabling used.

Since the TV only has the DVI, I doubt it is HDCP compliant. Bummer. I
have the HDMI to DVI cable already. OK, the concensus is, the PS3 will
downshift. Will a standalone Blue-Ray player also? Or is it a matter of,
maybe yes, maybe no, try it see? And, if it does downshift, will it tell
you it is doing it?

Head Hunter

"Archimedes' Lever" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>>
>>Anyway, thanks for any assistance.
>>

> The PS3 will put out to the component out, but will be at 480p.
>
> I have an old Toshiba glass CRT combo display that only has component
> in (or less), that I haven't tried yet.
>
> Essentially, if it is not HDCP compliant, it will get resolution
> handcuffed.
>
> However, my Toshiba 46" runs both BD and HD DVD titles via the computer,
> and is only able to do that because the software, my graphics card (DVI
> only), and my display are all HDCP compliant. So I pump it via the HDMI
> in with a DVI to HDMI cable. I have used a DVI to HDMI converter
> connector as well on a regular DVI to DVI cable.
>
> My Xbox (1st gen) pumped my HDTV at 720p via component hooks. Need to
> try the PS3 to see what it does. I may get 720p out of the component
> cables, but it will dress back to 480p on Blu Ray DVD playback. I'd

You are probably right. Although, I have a PC with a graphics cards that
says it is fully HDCP compliant. I tried hooking it up to my Sony once via
DVI. It was interesting. The PC saw the Sony, but I guess the PCs
widescreen wasn't tha same as the TV, because the TV seemed to zoom the
picture to full screen, then cuts off top and bottom with black bars for DVI
widescreen. No matter what resolution I set the PC to, it always got the
top and bottom cut off. If I set to a std resolution for 4:3 like 640x480,
I lost top and bottom. If I set to a wide screen, I would still lose top
and bottom, but not as much, but enough so I couldn't see the START button
or my taskbar.

The dog from that film you saw

"Head Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5Fqfl.318055$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> That's right. Just google for an HDMI to DVI lead. It's basically the
>>>same thing minus the audio segment.

>> If his display is not HDCP compliant, the PS3 will only feed 480p to
>> it. Regardless of the cabling used.

> Since the TV only has the DVI, I doubt it is HDCP compliant. Bummer. I
> have the HDMI to DVI cable already. OK, the concensus is, the PS3 will
> downshift. Will a standalone Blue-Ray player also? Or is it a matter of,
> maybe yes, maybe no, try it see? And, if it does downshift, will it tell
> you it is doing it?

my sharp tv with dvi input only is HDMI compliant - if you already have the
cable why not try?

--
Gareth.

that fly...... is your magic wand....

Archimedes' Lever

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 22:18:41 GMT, "Head Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>>> That's right. Just google for an HDMI to DVI lead. It's basically the
>>>same thing minus the audio segment.

>> If his display is not HDCP compliant, the PS3 will only feed 480p to
>> it. Regardless of the cabling used.

>Since the TV only has the DVI, I doubt it is HDCP compliant. Bummer. I
>have the HDMI to DVI cable already. OK, the concensus is, the PS3 will
>downshift. Will a standalone Blue-Ray player also? Or is it a matter of,
>maybe yes, maybe no, try it see? And, if it does downshift, will it tell
>you it is doing it?

Yes, both BD and HD DVD require HDCP compliance for full resolution
output.

Your display should tell you what resolution is being fed to it.

are all 350mhz cables cat6 cables? yawnmoth Computer Information 0 08-10-2006 04:46 PM
Expensive Component Cables actaully work for me. Alyssa DVD Video 1 01-04-2006 04:43 PM
Component Cables teem DVD Video 14 01-03-2006 06:18 AM
Can RCA Composite Cables be used for Component Video? needin4mation@gmail.com DVD Video 1 12-02-2005 07:57 PM
component and composite cables Andrew NZ Computing 10 05-16-2005 11:08 PM

Advertisments