Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > PC help

PC help

belto

Thanks for all your comments & suggestions
I have now replaced the Power supply with an old one I salvaged from a PC.
Sucess

How ever on boot up there is a statement

Disk boot failure
Insert System disk & press enter

Entered set up and changed first bootdevice from CD Rom
Changed to HD startup and saved,
but still same message.

Now at the limits of my knowledge

Any more suggestions again most welcome

news:497a9627$0$19499$(E-Mail Removed)4all.s e...

wisdomkiller @ pain

belto wrote:

> Thanks for all your comments & suggestions
> I have now replaced the Power supply with an old one I salvaged from a
> PC. Sucess
>
> How ever on boot up there is a statement
>
> Disk boot failure
> Insert System disk & press enter
>
> Entered set up and changed first bootdevice from CD Rom
> Changed to HD startup and saved,
> but still same message.
>
> Now at the limits of my knowledge

When replacing other parts, it often happens that harddrive and floppy
cables get dislocated, either at the mainboard or at the drive side.
Make sure the cable sits firmly.
Also, make sure the connector from the powersupply to the drive is
attached correctly.

There may be a coincidence of a failing harddrive as well. That's when
you'd have to exchange it and reinstall from whatever install media you
got - and hopefully there is a backup for personal data on anoter
drive/cd or wherever.

Helpful guy

"wisdomkiller @ pain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Helpful guy wrote:
>
>> "G. Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> 2. Make *sure* the main power cord is plugged it all the way (at
>>> both ends)
>>>
>>> 3. Try a different power cord if you have one.

>> Ok but how often does a power cord fail? Possible I suppose.
>>

> They do. Wires do break, or simply the plugs are not inserted tightly
> enough, or there are loose contacts. Often enough ...

Ok they can fail but it's rare.
In my experience the biggest problem with power connectors is that they are
not inserted properly or stray feet under the desk knock them out. The owner
doesn't notice and calls expert help when they only needed to push a power
connector back in.

>> I replaced a power supply last week. I wasn't surprised that the owner
>> didn't know what a power supply was, or even a screwdriver. I just did
>> the job.
>>

> These days even 80yr old people use a computer. They do know
> screwdrivers, but appear to have no clue about handling them
> (anymore) ;-/.

catchme

Helpful guy wrote:
> "G. Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) alid...
>> belto wrote:
>>
>>> My grand daughter has asked for my unskilled help
>>> Her PC will not start, no lights etc .
>>> I have checked all power supplies
>>> What happens now , Is there a Fuse inside the PC
>>> help /suggestions would be most welcome

>> There is no replaceable fuse.
>>
>> What I would double check:
>>

>> 1. Make *sure* the outlet your plugging into works (test it with a light
>> or
>> appliance)
>>
>> 2. Make *sure* the main power cord is plugged it all the way (at both
>> ends)
>>
>> 3. Try a different power cord if you have one.

> Ok but how often does a power cord fail? Possible I suppose.

actually i have a few power cords that have given out. One day when I go
to gran's house, I will pull them all out of her closet and test them-
if for no other reason than to help her get rid of some junk.
On a side note-
does this unskilled user know where the power switch is located?

catchme

G. Morgan wrote:

>> job.

> Yeah, some people just don't want to mess with it. I'd say it's pretty easy
> to do for someone who's never looked in a case. There must be millions of
> "how to's" on the Google's.

the user's manual might be a better start, assuming the person wants to
be beside the inoperative computer while finding a solution.

Helpful guy

"belto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news0Del.149786$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> Thanks for all your comments & suggestions
> I have now replaced the Power supply with an old one I salvaged from a PC.
> Sucess
>
> How ever on boot up there is a statement
>
> Disk boot failure
> Insert System disk & press enter
>
> Entered set up and changed first bootdevice from CD Rom
> Changed to HD startup and saved,
> but still same message.

Use a voltmeter to make sure that the boot device has power.
Is the boot device detected by the BIOS?

> Now at the limits of my knowledge
>
> Any more suggestions again most welcome
>

> "Sven Svensson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:497a9627$0$19499$(E-Mail Removed)4all.s e...
>> On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 23:05:40 -0000
>> "belto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> My grand daughter has asked for my unskilled help
>>> Her PC will not start, no lights etc .
>>> I have checked all power supplies
>>> What happens now , Is there a Fuse inside the PC

>> No. the fuse(es) is inside the powersupply.
>>

>> --
>> Yow! Is my fallout shelter termite proof?

Belto

Thanks guys for all your help

Just to update
I have replaced the power supply
but I have a statement from monitor
Insert system disk and press enter

I do not have asystem disk

Where do I go from here

"Helpful guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:glfpb2$psn$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "belto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news0Del.149786$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>> Thanks for all your comments & suggestions
>> I have now replaced the Power supply with an old one I salvaged from a
>> PC.
>> Sucess
>>
>> How ever on boot up there is a statement
>>
>> Disk boot failure
>> Insert System disk & press enter
>>
>> Entered set up and changed first bootdevice from CD Rom
>> Changed to HD startup and saved,
>> but still same message.

> Use a voltmeter to make sure that the boot device has power.
> Is the boot device detected by the BIOS?
>

>> Now at the limits of my knowledge
>>
>> Any more suggestions again most welcome
>>

>> "Sven Svensson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:497a9627$0$19499$(E-Mail Removed)4all.s e...

>>> No. the fuse(es) is inside the powersupply.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Yow! Is my fallout shelter termite proof?

thanatoid

"Belto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
newstKel.52$(E-Mail Removed)2:

www.bootdisk.com

--
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are."
Anais Nin

hwf

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, "wisdomkiller @
pain" wrote:
> belto wrote:
>
> > Thanks for all your comments & suggestions
> > I have now replaced the Power supply with an old one I salvaged from a
> > PC. Sucess
> >
> > How ever on boot up there is a statement
> >
> > Disk boot failure
> > Insert System disk & press enter
> >
> > Entered set up and changed first bootdevice from CD Rom
> > Changed to HD startup and saved,
> > but still same message.
> >
> > Now at the limits of my knowledge
> >

> When replacing other parts, it often happens that harddrive and floppy
> cables get dislocated, either at the mainboard or at the drive side.
> Make sure the cable sits firmly.
> Also, make sure the connector from the powersupply to the drive is
> attached correctly.
>
> There may be a coincidence of a failing harddrive as well. That's when
> you'd have to exchange it and reinstall from whatever install media you
> got - and hopefully there is a backup for personal data on anoter
> drive/cd or wherever.

Right O, mate. Look to see if the little LED drive light blinks when it (trys)
boots up to see if theres any activity.

^_^

-James Madison

G. Morgan

wisdomkiller @ pain wrote:

>When replacing other parts, it often happens that harddrive and floppy
>cables get dislocated, either at the mainboard or at the drive side.
>Make sure the cable sits firmly.
>Also, make sure the connector from the powersupply to the drive is
>attached correctly.

Ditto.

>There may be a coincidence of a failing harddrive as well. That's when
>you'd have to exchange it and reinstall from whatever install media you
>got - and hopefully there is a backup for personal data on anoter
>drive/cd or wherever.

That's possible.

I would also make sure as another poster suggested that the BIOS sees the
drive.

--
Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that,
I'll be over here, looking through your stuff. -Jack Handey