Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Bloody Xtra !!!!!!

Bloody Xtra !!!!!!

Ernest_the_Sheep@hotmail.com

Well, I turned on my computer this morning as usual, but found that my
usual Xtra home page did not load. Turns out that "xtra.co.nz" no
longer defaults to "nz.yahoo.com". No problem, I just changed the home
page setting in IE. Next, I went to check my email. I started up
Thunderbird which I use as my email program, but got error message
"failed to connect to server pop3.xtra.co.nz". So I checked the Yahoo!
Extra help page, and concluded that I might need to change the server
settings

"pop3.xtra.co.nz" to "pop.mail.yahoo.com.au"

"send.xtra.co.nz" to "smtp.mail.yahoo.com.au"

On doing this is appears to successfully connect to the server, but
when I enter my usual password I get invalid user/password error. Any
ideas what I could be doing wrong?

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, I turned on my computer this morning as usual, but found that my
> usual Xtra home page did not load. Turns out that "xtra.co.nz" no
> longer defaults to "nz.yahoo.com". No problem, I just changed the home
> page setting in IE. Next, I went to check my email. I started up
> Thunderbird which I use as my email program, but got error message
> "failed to connect to server pop3.xtra.co.nz". So I checked the Yahoo!
> Extra help page, and concluded that I might need to change the server
> settings
>
> "pop3.xtra.co.nz" to "pop.mail.yahoo.com.au"
>
> "send.xtra.co.nz" to "smtp.mail.yahoo.com.au"
>
> On doing this is appears to successfully connect to the server, but
> when I enter my usual password I get invalid user/password error. Any
> ideas what I could be doing wrong?

Go to yahoo.com.au and log on.
Open your Inbox, click on Options (top right corner).
Click "POP Access and Forwarding".
Check that the radio button at "Web & POP Access [POP Settings] is checked,
I bet it isn't.
If it isn't checked then check it.
This has happened to me many times, they turn your pop access off whenever
there are significant changes to Yahoo mail.

J&H.

bugalugs

> Well, I turned on my computer this morning as usual, but found that my
> usual Xtra home page did not load. Turns out that "xtra.co.nz" no
> longer defaults to "nz.yahoo.com". No problem, I just changed the home
> page setting in IE. Next, I went to check my email. I started up
> Thunderbird which I use as my email program, but got error message
> "failed to connect to server pop3.xtra.co.nz". So I checked the Yahoo!
> Extra help page, and concluded that I might need to change the server
> settings
>
> "pop3.xtra.co.nz" to "pop.mail.yahoo.com.au"
>
> "send.xtra.co.nz" to "smtp.mail.yahoo.com.au"
>
> On doing this is appears to successfully connect to the server, but
> when I enter my usual password I get invalid user/password error. Any
> ideas what I could be doing wrong?

I couldn't get through to my account from startup at 9.00 til just after
11. Then with no input from me everything works again.

Dave Doe

In article <gldguv$74i$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Well, I turned on my computer this morning as usual, but found that my
> > usual Xtra home page did not load. Turns out that "xtra.co.nz" no
> > longer defaults to "nz.yahoo.com". No problem, I just changed the home
> > page setting in IE. Next, I went to check my email. I started up
> > Thunderbird which I use as my email program, but got error message
> > "failed to connect to server pop3.xtra.co.nz". So I checked the Yahoo!
> > Extra help page, and concluded that I might need to change the server
> > settings
> >
> > "pop3.xtra.co.nz" to "pop.mail.yahoo.com.au"
> >
> > "send.xtra.co.nz" to "smtp.mail.yahoo.com.au"
> >
> > On doing this is appears to successfully connect to the server, but
> > when I enter my usual password I get invalid user/password error. Any
> > ideas what I could be doing wrong?

> I couldn't get through to my account from startup at 9.00 til just after
> 11. Then with no input from me everything works again.

I'd have to agree with Collector

--
Duncan

Hank Scorpio

Nothing personal DaveDoe or Collector, but I wonder whether people, like me,
get fed up of reading these smart-a** replies, which offer no new help or
information. "Yes: here's my advice: you shouldn't be using
Windows/Xtra/Vista". Great contribution. These replies are as predictable as
they are pointless. If you must pat yourselves on the back for being wise
and prescient, can't you do it in private?

Carnations

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 12:59:41 +1300, Hank Scorpio wrote:

> "Yes: here's my advice: you shouldn't be using Windows/Xtra/Vista".
> Greatb contribution.

Indeed it is. Xtra clearly is not letting you know in advance of anything
that it proposes to do with the service that you've contracted to them.

Microsoft Windows (including the "Vista" version) is inferior software.
You truly should not be using it if you want the best.

--
Dilger: "Microsoft is first and foremost a marketing
company that flogs third rate technology products."

Enkidu

Hank Scorpio wrote:

> Nothing personal DaveDoe or Collector, but I wonder whether people,
> like me, get fed up of reading these smart-a** replies, which offer
> no new help or information. "Yes: here's my advice: you shouldn't be
> using Windows/Xtra/Vista".

Did it ever occur to you that the reason you see so many requests for
help with Xtra is because Xtra is rubbish? And the help that they
provide is rubbish? You don't see nearly as many people asking for help
for other ISPs.

> Great contribution. These replies are as predictable as they are
> pointless. If you must pat yourselves on the back for being wise and
> prescient, can't you do it in private?

The point is that you can do something about it. Move to a different
ISP. I think that the only reason people don't move is fear of the unknown.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

Linux is theft.

Dave Doe

In article <gldllc$rj$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> Nothing personal DaveDoe or Collector, but I wonder whether people, like me,
> get fed up of reading these smart-a** replies, which offer no new help or
> information. "Yes: here's my advice: you shouldn't be using
> Windows/Xtra/Vista". Great contribution. These replies are as predictable as
> they are pointless. If you must pat yourselves on the back for being wise
> and prescient, can't you do it in private?

Nothing personal taken. But hey my advice is serious - you're just *not*
gonna get good service from Xtra.

One sorta wonders indeed, why the OP posted here, given the problem was
with Xtra - a simple phone call (not that simple when you phone Xtra
though) is all it takes - in short, if you have an ISP problem, you talk
to the ISP.

I've been doing IT support for more than 15 years and I've helped do
ISP's helpdesk jobs for lots of 'em, including Xtra. But no more. If I
client has Xtra, the client deals with Xtra (I don't). I provide them
my advice, switch ISP's - that's all they'll get from me re Xtra support
thesedays. And I fervently stand by that advice.

Thesedays I continue to get phone calls from clients, "I can't get my
email, please help". Xtra? Yep. Change ISP's, meantime phone Xtra.

Ditch Xtra, they're just not worth the money or hassle.

Do you believe me? Do you believe the Consumer Mag? Other NZ IT mags?
Xtra rate a distant bottom of the list and have done for a couple of
years or so.

--
Duncan

"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hank Scorpio wrote:
>>
>> Nothing personal DaveDoe or Collector, but I wonder whether people,
>> like me, get fed up of reading these smart-a** replies, which offer
>> no new help or information. "Yes: here's my advice: you shouldn't be
>> using Windows/Xtra/Vista".
>>

> Did it ever occur to you that the reason you see so many requests for
> help with Xtra is because Xtra is rubbish? And the help that they
> provide is rubbish? You don't see nearly as many people asking for help
> for other ISPs.

Anyone with an ounce of fairness would actually correctly conclude that
since they're the biggest ISP, more users asking for help will be with them.
Furthermore whether or not you run Xp, Vista, or Linux won't matter a damn
if your mail server has issues.

>> Great contribution. These replies are as predictable as they are
>> pointless. If you must pat yourselves on the back for being wise and
>> prescient, can't you do it in private?
>>

> The point is that you can do something about it. Move to a different ISP.
> I think that the only reason people don't move is fear of the unknown.

Personally I dropped Xtra as soon as my contract was up and have been with
others for years now.
Their helpdesk is just absolutely terrible.

> Cheers,
>
> Cliff
>
> --
>
> Linux is theft.

"bugalugs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gldguv$74i$(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Well, I turned on my computer this morning as usual, but found that my
>> usual Xtra home page did not load. Turns out that "xtra.co.nz" no
>> longer defaults to "nz.yahoo.com". No problem, I just changed the home
>> page setting in IE. Next, I went to check my email. I started up
>> Thunderbird which I use as my email program, but got error message
>> "failed to connect to server pop3.xtra.co.nz". So I checked the Yahoo!
>> Extra help page, and concluded that I might need to change the server
>> settings
>>
>> "pop3.xtra.co.nz" to "pop.mail.yahoo.com.au"
>>
>> "send.xtra.co.nz" to "smtp.mail.yahoo.com.au"
>>
>> On doing this is appears to successfully connect to the server, but
>> when I enter my usual password I get invalid user/password error. Any
>> ideas what I could be doing wrong?

> I couldn't get through to my account from startup at 9.00 til just after
> 11. Then with no input from me everything works again.

This happens periodically with Yahoo accounts. I have three that are checked
when I send/receive and about once a fortnight one of them will keep failing
for an hour or so. I guess the account is disabled for backup or something?
Or possibly syncing to the I7 servers (or whatever they call their caching
servers)?

J&H.