Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > question connecting to LAN

question connecting to LAN

Linea Recta

I have a network configuration briefly as follows:

PC, wired to modem router, which is connected to ADSL.
Laptop, wifi connected to LAN and internet.
Pocket PC, wifi connected to LAN and internet.

When all devices are on, I have no problems.
Now, when I have the PC switched off, I can still keep surfing on internet
with the pocket PC, but it seems I cannot make LAN connection to the laptop
anymore.

Is this normal, or do I have to modify something?

--
regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

smlunatick

On Jan 23, 6:15*pm, "Linea Recta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a network configuration briefly as follows:
>
> PC, wired to modem router, which is connected to ADSL.
> Laptop, wifi connected to LAN and internet.
> Pocket PC, wifi connected to LAN and internet.
>
> When all devices are on, I have no problems.
> Now, when I have the PC switched off, I can still keep surfing on internet
> with the pocket PC, but it seems I cannot make LAN connection to the laptop
> anymore.
>
> Is this normal, or do I have to modify something?
>
> --
> regards,
>
> |\ */|
> | \/ |@rk
> *\../
> * \/os

So:

ADSL ------- {router} ----------- [PC]
:...................................
[laptop]
:.......[Pocket PC]

(------- = wires, ........ = wireless )

Is the above a sample to your "set ups?"

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
You have to make sure that all the devices are independently connected to
the Wireless Router (both wire and wireless if used), and that there is No
direct AD-Hoc connection between any of the devices. Then set the File
sharing on each computer.
I did not have instructions for pocket PC.
For Vista and XP the following can Help.
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Linea Recta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:497a091c$0$187$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...
>I have a network configuration briefly as follows:
>
> PC, wired to modem router, which is connected to ADSL.
> Laptop, wifi connected to LAN and internet.
> Pocket PC, wifi connected to LAN and internet.
>
> When all devices are on, I have no problems.
> Now, when I have the PC switched off, I can still keep surfing on internet
> with the pocket PC, but it seems I cannot make LAN connection to the
> laptop
> anymore.
>
> Is this normal, or do I have to modify something?
>

> --
> regards,
>
> |\ /|
> | \/ |@rk
> \../
> \/os

Linea Recta

"smlunatick" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Jan 23, 6:15 pm, "Linea Recta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a network configuration briefly as follows:
>
> PC, wired to modem router, which is connected to ADSL.
> Laptop, wifi connected to LAN and internet.
> Pocket PC, wifi connected to LAN and internet.
>
> When all devices are on, I have no problems.
> Now, when I have the PC switched off, I can still keep surfing on internet
> with the pocket PC, but it seems I cannot make LAN connection to the
> laptop
> anymore.
>
> Is this normal, or do I have to modify something?
>
> --
> regards,
>
> |\ /|
> | \/ |@rk
> \../
> \/os

---quote---

So:

ADSL ------- {router} ----------- [PC]
:...................................
[laptop]
:.......[Pocket PC]

(------- = wires, ........ = wireless )

Is the above a sample to your "set ups?"

---quote---

That's correct.
By the way, I noticed something else: with all devices on, I made a LAN
connection from pocket PC to the laptop. After this I shut down the PC only.
Now I still have the pocket PC to laptop connection...

--
regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

Phillip Windell

The PC is probably the Master Browser. When you shut it off you would have
trouble picking up the other machines via the Netbios name or picking them
in Network Places.

Try connecting to the other machines when the PC is off by using the IP# at
the "Run" line like this:

\\192.168.1.103

instead of

\\mymachine

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

"Linea Recta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:497a091c$0$187$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...
>I have a network configuration briefly as follows:
>
> PC, wired to modem router, which is connected to ADSL.
> Laptop, wifi connected to LAN and internet.
> Pocket PC, wifi connected to LAN and internet.
>
> When all devices are on, I have no problems.
> Now, when I have the PC switched off, I can still keep surfing on internet
> with the pocket PC, but it seems I cannot make LAN connection to the
> laptop
> anymore.
>
> Is this normal, or do I have to modify something?
>

> --
> regards,
>
> |\ /|
> | \/ |@rk
> \../
> \/os

Linea Recta

"Phillip Windell" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:OCfar$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The PC is probably the Master Browser. When you shut it off you would
> have trouble picking up the other machines via the Netbios name or picking
> them in Network Places.
>
> Try connecting to the other machines when the PC is off by using the IP#
> at the "Run" line like this:
>
> \\192.168.1.103
>
> instead of
>
> \\mymachine

Today I was just going to try your suggestion. I switched on the router,
laptop and pocket PC, and decided to give it another try the normal way
first. Surprisingly I logged into the laptop without problems!
So my conclusion is that this logging in thing with WM2003SE is just very
unreliable...
(I never have this sort of stagnation between PC and laptop.)

--
regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

Phillip Windell

"Linea Recta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:497afdd1$0$184$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...

> Today I was just going to try your suggestion. I switched on the router,
> laptop and pocket PC, and decided to give it another try the normal way
> first. Surprisingly I logged into the laptop without problems!
> So my conclusion is that this logging in thing with WM2003SE is just very
> unreliable...
> (I never have this sort of stagnation between PC and laptop.)

No. Most likely it just means they were off long enough that when you turned
on the laptop and pocket pc they forced a "browser election" and a Master
Browser was chosen that was not the PC (since it was off) and things worked
like they are normally supposed to.

This can't be proven until the situation repeats itself at a later time and
you do what I suggested.

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

VPN3000 LAN-to-LAN tunnel question. terry_zarelli@yahoo.com Cisco 1 06-11-2005 03:12 PM
Can't connect wired linksys lan to wireless belkin lan Tom D Wireless Networking 4 01-24-2005 02:06 PM
Lan-to-LAN tunnel (IOS - VPN 3000) ICMP problem stretch Cisco 2 01-21-2004 01:49 PM
lan-to-lan vpn over adsl blaj Cisco 0 11-19-2003 08:32 PM
IPSec - Lan to Lan - Nat routers - 1 Static and 1 Dynamic ip Sharqy_5 Cisco 0 07-20-2003 09:35 PM

Advertisments