Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Dimdows Autorun Stupidity

Dimdows Autorun Stupidity

Enkidu

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bobs wrote:
>
>> [Autorun] can be disabled in about 5 seconds.

> Not reliably, it appears <http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2410>.

Sigh!

"Microsoft has provided support document KB953252, which describes how
to correct the problem of NoDriveTypeAutoRun registry value enforcement.
After the update is installed, Windows will obey the NoDriveTypeAutorun
registry value. Note that this fix has been released via Microsoft
Update to Windows Vista and Server 2008 systems as part of the MS08-038
Security Bulletin."

and:

"Our testing has shown that installing this update and setting the
NoDriveTypeAutoRun registry value to 0xFF will disable AutoRun as well
as the workaround described above."

http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/techalerts/TA09-020A.html

Cheers,

Cliff

--

Linux is theft.

Peter M

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 17:02:29 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>Or, why turning off autorun doesn't actually turn off autorun:
><http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2410>.

Yes you can with XP Antispy..

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Peter M wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 17:02:29 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>>Or, why turning off autorun doesn't actually turn off autorun:
>><http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2410>.

> Yes you can with XP Antispy..

Something else to find. download, install and configure? Something that 99%
of your typical clueless Dimdows newbies won't be able to manage? Whatever
happened to the idea that Dimdows "just works"?

Don Hills

In article <497b8dca$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Sigh!

He achieved his aim, which was to get you to keep posting on the subject.
(The subject itself is irrelevant.)

preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

EMB

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <glc8s5$2ll$(E-Mail Removed)>, Scrant wrote:
>
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>> Or, why turning off autorun doesn't actually turn off autorun:
>>> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2410>.

>> You really ought to see somebody about this obsession you have with
>> discrediting something you don't like.

> Selective memory strikes again. If you read this newsgroup, you'll see that
> I post on a great variety of things. Yet it seems to be primarily the
> Microsoft comments that attract the trolls and retards. Is that my fault?

Labelling yourself a trolling retard is a good start Larry. It's also a
pity as quite a bit of the stuff you post is worth reading and sometimes
quite insightful. Laying off the ad hom Windows abuse (ie the trolling
retard stuff) would do a world of good for your credibility and probably
lead to more people reading your worthwhile postings.

OT: Thursday Stupidity Briscobar MCSE 11 06-30-2005 10:28 PM
Rare Beavis and Butthead VIRTUAL STUPIDITY Rare Old Things DVD Video 1 01-28-2005 01:17 AM
in the valley of spam stupidity on spam removing nota chance Computer Support 4 08-08-2004 10:44 PM
grasping a Usenet stupidity anthonyberet Computer Support 3 05-28-2004 06:30 AM
FINALLY FIXED (That's to the stupidity on my part) MatGyver Cisco 0 10-29-2003 09:48 PM

Advertisments