Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Opinions: Can I use my old Nikon lenses on a new Nikon digitalcamera?

Opinions: Can I use my old Nikon lenses on a new Nikon digitalcamera?

Jürgen Exner

Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>If the lens won't meter on the camera, that means you can't even look at
>the meter & adjust, you'll just have to guess. That's doable with trial
>& error looking at the LCD on back but pretty crummy.

Or check the exposure histogram. You need to learn how to read them and
they don't help with snap shots, but it won't get more precise than
that.

BTW: what on earth is that |GG| in the subject line for?

jue

nospam

In article <230120091042388234%(E-Mail Removed)>, Scott Schuckert
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> As a former camera store operator, I'll come in with some slight
> defense of the salesmen: they may not necessarily be trying to sell
> lenses (though that's certainly a possibility)

what else would they want to do? their job title is *sales*man and
they're there to sell. how else does the store make money? certainly
not from talking about the weather. this is particularly true if they
are on commission.

> If a question of compatibility is at all complex, or involves the
> possibility of equipment damage, I'd definitely have instructed my
> staff to be VERY stingy with "yes, that will work."

that's fine.

> Just because the customer says he has an AI 105mm Nikkor, doesn't mean
> it IS AI; just because he says he has a D60 doesn't mean it's not a
> D70.

you can only go by what they say. if they say it's a d60, it's a d60.
if they're incapable of reading 3 characters on the front of the
camera, then they are probably inept enough to end up damaging the
equipment no matter what you do.

> So unless he actually brought in the two pieces in question ("Will
> these work together?") I'd rather give out misinformation than face
> accusations that my advice caused damage.

deliberately giving out misinformation is not exactly the best way to
gain respect of customers.

Twibil

On Jan 23, 7:42*am, Scott Schuckert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> As a former camera store operator, I'll come in with some slight
> defense of the salesmen: they may not necessarily be trying to sell
> lenses (though that's certainly a possibility)
>
> If a question of compatibility is at all complex, or involves the
> possibility of equipment damage, I'd definitely have instructed my
> staff to be VERY stingy with "yes, that will work."
>
> Just because the customer says he has an AI 105mm Nikkor, doesn't mean
> it IS AI; just because he says he has a D60 doesn't mean it's not a
> D70.
>
> So unless he actually brought in the two pieces in question ("Will
> these work together?") I'd rather give out misinformation than face
> accusations that my advice caused damage.

Not to seem like a trouble-maker here, but I've been your shoes re the
misinformation issue in retail sales, and what I always told my sales
force was "If you don't have an easy yes-or-no answer to a customer's
question about system compatibility, tell them you don't *know* the
answer, explain *why* you don't know, and offer to research the
question and get back to them with what you've learned in short
order!"

There's no crime in being honest, but saying "yes" or "no" when the
answer is complex or unclear can come back to bite you in the ass
either way, and that's how you lose potentially good customers.

~Pete

nospam

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
Twibil <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Not to seem like a trouble-maker here, but I've been your shoes re the
> misinformation issue in retail sales, and what I always told my sales
> force was "If you don't have an easy yes-or-no answer to a customer's
> question about system compatibility, tell them you don't *know* the
> answer, explain *why* you don't know, and offer to research the
> question and get back to them with what you've learned in short
> order!"
>
> There's no crime in being honest, but saying "yes" or "no" when the
> answer is complex or unclear can come back to bite you in the ass
> either way, and that's how you lose potentially good customers.

exactly.

Paul Furman

Jürgen Exner wrote:
> Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> If the lens won't meter on the camera, that means you can't even look at
>> the meter & adjust, you'll just have to guess. That's doable with trial
>> & error looking at the LCD on back but pretty crummy.

> Or check the exposure histogram. You need to learn how to read them and
> they don't help with snap shots, but it won't get more precise than
> that.

After a while of using an in-camera meter, it gets tedious to go back.
But I never used an 'external' light meter so what do I know <g>.

> BTW: what on earth is that |GG| in the subject line for?

Sorry, that's my google groups filter. It marks messages as read in
thunderbird but I can see them in the thread if someone replies. A lot
of discount tennis shoe spam goes away with that. I try to remember to
delete in the title.

Blinky the Shark

Paul Furman wrote:

> Jürgen Exner wrote:
>> Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> If the lens won't meter on the camera, that means you can't even look
>>> at the meter & adjust, you'll just have to guess. That's doable with
>>> trial & error looking at the LCD on back but pretty crummy.

>> Or check the exposure histogram. You need to learn how to read them and
>> they don't help with snap shots, but it won't get more precise than
>> that.

> After a while of using an in-camera meter, it gets tedious to go back. But
> I never used an 'external' light meter so what do I know <g>.
>

>> BTW: what on earth is that |GG| in the subject line for?

> Sorry, that's my google groups filter. It marks messages as read in
> thunderbird but I can see them in the thread if someone replies. A lot of
> discount tennis shoe spam goes away with that. I try to remember to delete
> in the title.

Filter on string googlegroups in the Message-ID header, and that kind of
make-work isn't nececssary.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups -

ASAAR

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 21:07:04 -0800, Paul Furman wrote:

>> BTW: what on earth is that |GG| in the subject line for?

> Sorry, that's my google groups filter. It marks messages as read in
> thunderbird but I can see them in the thread if someone replies. A lot
> of discount tennis shoe spam goes away with that. I try to remember to
> delete in the title.

It does more than just mark messages. It splits threads, making
it more difficult to review previous replies in what should have
been the same thread. Are you saying that you occasionally forget
to remove the "|GG|" before posting your replies?