Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > PC industry cutting back...

PC industry cutting back...

Matty F

On Jan 24, 8:31 am, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Today Microsoft announced they were dropping 5,000 jobs, the first time in
> it's 34-year history that it's 'downscaled'.

What on earth were 100,000 people doing at Microsoft?

EMB

Matty F wrote:
> On Jan 24, 8:31 am, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Today Microsoft announced they were dropping 5,000 jobs, the first time in
>> it's 34-year history that it's 'downscaled'.

> What on earth were 100,000 people doing at Microsoft?

Debugging Windows (badly).

impossible

"Matty F" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Jan 24, 8:31 am, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Today Microsoft announced they were dropping 5,000 jobs, the first time
>> in
>> it's 34-year history that it's 'downscaled'.

> What on earth were 100,000 people doing at Microsoft?

Earning a small fortune.

~misfit~

Today Microsoft announced they were dropping 5,000 jobs, the first time in
it's 34-year history that it's 'downscaled'. Yesterday Intel said they were
closing four plants and cutting back on 6,000 jobs. Even Google are cutting
back apparently.

Steve Balmer said: "We're certainly in the midst of a once-in-a-lifetime set
of economic conditions. The perspective I would bring is not one of
recession. Rather, the economy is resetting to lower level of business and
consumer spending based largely on the reduced leverage in economy."

Ironically both Intel and Microsoft are laying part of the blame on the
increased uptake of 'netbooks'. Intel saying that, with more Atom chips per
wafer than Core2 chips, less plants are needed, Microsoft saying that
netbooks are running XP which has a lower profit margin. MS shares dropped
11% in US morning trading.

(Yet I would have thought that any revenue from XP would be *all* profit as
several times MS have tried to kill it off and there's no ongoing
development cost. Netbooks certainly aren't going to run Vista so it's
pretty much XP or Linux.)
--
Shaun.