Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Laptop HDD

Laptop HDD

Jeff Strickland

I posted a few weeks ago about a failed HDD in a laptop. I pulled the HDD,
researched the part number and found that I could go from 60G to 80G without
changing anything that could lead to instability or anything like that.

Now I have a 60G drive that I'd like to pull data out of, if possible.

The drive was not erased, so recovery strategies (software apps) are not
what I need, I think. I believe the drive itself is having a hardware
problem.

My question to the group is, how much should I expect to pay to have the
drive tested?

If the drive was in my desktop and had the same problem, my strategy would
have been to install a new drive, set the defective one as a Slave, then
attempt to see what is on it. My thinking is a mechanical failure, which
would mean the data is gone. But, if the problem is only a boot sector
issue, then the data should be discoverable since in a slave environment,
booting is not necessary.

Since the drive is in a laptop, I don't know anything about making slaves,
and I know the box that the drive came out of cannot support a slave, so I'm
at the whim of the guy at the repair shop and I want to get an idea of what
the price might be to take up his time. My data has value, but perhaps not
as much value as the shop time will cost.

Baron

Jeff Strickland wrote:

> I posted a few weeks ago about a failed HDD in a laptop. I pulled the
> HDD, researched the part number and found that I could go from 60G to
> 80G without changing anything that could lead to instability or
> anything like that.
>
> Now I have a 60G drive that I'd like to pull data out of, if possible.
>
> The drive was not erased, so recovery strategies (software apps) are
> not what I need, I think. I believe the drive itself is having a
> hardware problem.
>
> My question to the group is, how much should I expect to pay to have
> the drive tested?
>
> If the drive was in my desktop and had the same problem, my strategy
> would have been to install a new drive, set the defective one as a
> Slave, then attempt to see what is on it. My thinking is a mechanical
> failure, which would mean the data is gone. But, if the problem is
> only a boot sector issue, then the data should be discoverable since
> in a slave environment, booting is not necessary.
>
> Since the drive is in a laptop, I don't know anything about making
> slaves, and I know the box that the drive came out of cannot support a
> slave, so I'm at the whim of the guy at the repair shop and I want to
> get an idea of what the price might be to take up his time. My data
> has value, but perhaps not as much value as the shop time will cost.

Assuming its not sata then just buy a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adaptor and put
it into your desktop as a slave. My adaptor cost me a couple of
minutes work.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Jeff Strickland

"Baron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:glaj5k$eod$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>
>> I posted a few weeks ago about a failed HDD in a laptop. I pulled the
>> HDD, researched the part number and found that I could go from 60G to
>> 80G without changing anything that could lead to instability or
>> anything like that.
>>
>> Now I have a 60G drive that I'd like to pull data out of, if possible.
>>
>> The drive was not erased, so recovery strategies (software apps) are
>> not what I need, I think. I believe the drive itself is having a
>> hardware problem.
>>
>> My question to the group is, how much should I expect to pay to have
>> the drive tested?
>>
>> If the drive was in my desktop and had the same problem, my strategy
>> would have been to install a new drive, set the defective one as a
>> Slave, then attempt to see what is on it. My thinking is a mechanical
>> failure, which would mean the data is gone. But, if the problem is
>> only a boot sector issue, then the data should be discoverable since
>> in a slave environment, booting is not necessary.
>>
>> Since the drive is in a laptop, I don't know anything about making
>> slaves, and I know the box that the drive came out of cannot support a
>> slave, so I'm at the whim of the guy at the repair shop and I want to
>> get an idea of what the price might be to take up his time. My data
>> has value, but perhaps not as much value as the shop time will cost.

> Assuming its not sata then just buy a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adaptor and put
> it into your desktop as a slave. My adaptor cost me a couple of
> minutes work.

Talk to me!

It's an IDE drive (ATA-100) built by Toshiba, P/N MK6026GAX.

I have several ribbon cables, but the pin spacing is not compatible with the
drive. Is that the adaptor I need? By your descriptioin, I read the adaptor
as hardware that fits the small drive into the large drive bay. I can do
that, but if the cables do not fit, then the problem simply moves from one
place to another.

The connector on the drive has 44 pins on the data side and 4 more pins on
what I assume is the power side. All pins are physically on the same
connector, the arrangement is 4 pins, a space, then 44 pins with Pin 1
indicated. I assume Pin 1 is the first pin for the data connector. There is
a missing pin at the Pin 19 location, and four more pins beyond the Pin 40
location.

The pitch of these pins does not match the pitch of the holes in the ribbon
cable.

- Bobb -

Jeff ,

go here:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...tebook+adapter
for vendors - pick one like :
http://www.shop4tech.com/user.htm?go...&id=6763&r=183

for $6.99 they make a small adapter that basically bends/aligns the pins

I've got a few - WELL worth the money

With that you hook up your laptop drive to your desktop cabling.
I leave cover off my PC and rest the laptop drive/adapter/cable on a book
externally and copy data to desktop drive.

"Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:glakd0$unb$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Baron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:glaj5k$eod$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>>
>>> I posted a few weeks ago about a failed HDD in a laptop. I pulled the
>>> HDD, researched the part number and found that I could go from 60G to
>>> 80G without changing anything that could lead to instability or
>>> anything like that.
>>>
>>> Now I have a 60G drive that I'd like to pull data out of, if possible.
>>>
>>> The drive was not erased, so recovery strategies (software apps) are
>>> not what I need, I think. I believe the drive itself is having a
>>> hardware problem.
>>>
>>> My question to the group is, how much should I expect to pay to have
>>> the drive tested?
>>>
>>> If the drive was in my desktop and had the same problem, my strategy
>>> would have been to install a new drive, set the defective one as a
>>> Slave, then attempt to see what is on it. My thinking is a mechanical
>>> failure, which would mean the data is gone. But, if the problem is
>>> only a boot sector issue, then the data should be discoverable since
>>> in a slave environment, booting is not necessary.
>>>
>>> Since the drive is in a laptop, I don't know anything about making
>>> slaves, and I know the box that the drive came out of cannot support a
>>> slave, so I'm at the whim of the guy at the repair shop and I want to
>>> get an idea of what the price might be to take up his time. My data
>>> has value, but perhaps not as much value as the shop time will cost.

>> Assuming its not sata then just buy a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adaptor and put
>> it into your desktop as a slave. My adaptor cost me a couple of
>> minutes work.
>>

> Talk to me!
>
> It's an IDE drive (ATA-100) built by Toshiba, P/N MK6026GAX.
>
> I have several ribbon cables, but the pin spacing is not compatible with
> the drive. Is that the adaptor I need? By your descriptioin, I read the
> adaptor as hardware that fits the small drive into the large drive bay. I
> can do that, but if the cables do not fit, then the problem simply moves
> from one place to another.
>
> The connector on the drive has 44 pins on the data side and 4 more pins on
> what I assume is the power side. All pins are physically on the same
> connector, the arrangement is 4 pins, a space, then 44 pins with Pin 1
> indicated. I assume Pin 1 is the first pin for the data connector. There
> is a missing pin at the Pin 19 location, and four more pins beyond the Pin
> 40 location.
>
> The pitch of these pins does not match the pitch of the holes in the
> ribbon cable.

Baron

Jeff Strickland wrote:

> "Baron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:glaj5k$eod$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>>
>>> I posted a few weeks ago about a failed HDD in a laptop. I pulled
>>> the HDD, researched the part number and found that I could go from
>>> 60G to 80G without changing anything that could lead to instability
>>> or anything like that.
>>>
>>> Now I have a 60G drive that I'd like to pull data out of, if
>>> possible.
>>>
>>> The drive was not erased, so recovery strategies (software apps) are
>>> not what I need, I think. I believe the drive itself is having a
>>> hardware problem.
>>>
>>> My question to the group is, how much should I expect to pay to have
>>> the drive tested?
>>>
>>> If the drive was in my desktop and had the same problem, my strategy
>>> would have been to install a new drive, set the defective one as a
>>> Slave, then attempt to see what is on it. My thinking is a
>>> mechanical failure, which would mean the data is gone. But, if the
>>> problem is only a boot sector issue, then the data should be
>>> discoverable since in a slave environment, booting is not necessary.
>>>
>>> Since the drive is in a laptop, I don't know anything about making
>>> slaves, and I know the box that the drive came out of cannot support
>>> a slave, so I'm at the whim of the guy at the repair shop and I want
>>> to get an idea of what the price might be to take up his time. My
>>> data has value, but perhaps not as much value as the shop time will
>>> cost.

>> Assuming its not sata then just buy a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adaptor and
>> put
>> it into your desktop as a slave. My adaptor cost me a couple of
>> minutes work.
>>

> Talk to me!
>
> It's an IDE drive (ATA-100) built by Toshiba, P/N MK6026GAX.
>
> I have several ribbon cables, but the pin spacing is not compatible
> with the drive. Is that the adaptor I need? By your descriptioin, I
> read the adaptor as hardware that fits the small drive into the large
> drive bay. I can do that, but if the cables do not fit, then the
> problem simply moves from one place to another.
>
> The connector on the drive has 44 pins on the data side and 4 more
> pins on what I assume is the power side. All pins are physically on
> the same connector, the arrangement is 4 pins, a space, then 44 pins
> with Pin 1 indicated. I assume Pin 1 is the first pin for the data
> connector. There is a missing pin at the Pin 19 location, and four
> more pins beyond the Pin 40 location.
>
> The pitch of these pins does not match the pitch of the holes in the
> ribbon cable.

Looks like Bob done the work for me !

I salvaged a connector from an old Laptop and wired it manually to a 40
pin Ide header. The 4 spare pins are power +5v & gnd.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Jeff Strickland

Thanks Bobb, that's the connector I need.

How do I teach the drive that it's a slave instead of a master? If I don't
have this set, won't the computer try to boot from both of my drives?

news:glamm0$oh3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jeff ,
>
> go here:
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...tebook+adapter
> for vendors - pick one like :
> http://www.shop4tech.com/user.htm?go...&id=6763&r=183
>
> for $6.99 they make a small adapter that basically bends/aligns the pins
>
> I've got a few - WELL worth the money
>
> With that you hook up your laptop drive to your desktop cabling.
> I leave cover off my PC and rest the laptop drive/adapter/cable on a book
> externally and copy data to desktop drive.
>

> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:glakd0$unb$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Baron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:glaj5k$eod$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Assuming its not sata then just buy a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adaptor and put
>>> it into your desktop as a slave. My adaptor cost me a couple of
>>> minutes work.
>>>

>> Talk to me!
>>
>> It's an IDE drive (ATA-100) built by Toshiba, P/N MK6026GAX.
>>
>> I have several ribbon cables, but the pin spacing is not compatible with
>> the drive. Is that the adaptor I need? By your descriptioin, I read the
>> adaptor as hardware that fits the small drive into the large drive bay. I
>> can do that, but if the cables do not fit, then the problem simply moves
>> from one place to another.
>>
>> The connector on the drive has 44 pins on the data side and 4 more pins
>> on what I assume is the power side. All pins are physically on the same
>> connector, the arrangement is 4 pins, a space, then 44 pins with Pin 1
>> indicated. I assume Pin 1 is the first pin for the data connector. There
>> is a missing pin at the Pin 19 location, and four more pins beyond the
>> Pin 40 location.
>>
>> The pitch of these pins does not match the pitch of the holes in the
>> ribbon cable.

- Bobb -

On the 2.5 in drives I've seen - there are two pins that designate
primary/secondary
Usually no jumper = master, so put a jumper on those pins for slave , or set
channel for cable select
UltraATA cables with the 3 colored (ie, blue, black, and grey) connectors
support cable select

http://www.toshibastorage.com/techdo...XUserGuide.pdf
See page 2 - Master/Slave Settings

** DO pay attention to pin 1 /cable orientation **
Usually a 3.5" disk cable has a "plug" in one of the pinholes and the 3.5"
IDE disk drive connector has a pin missing so can "only put the cable on the
correct way."

Often this aftermarket connector has no pin missing for key and you have to
cut/ bend the correct pin over to allow the cable to go onto the adapter.
Why? Just because they want to bother with it I guess.

So look at the toshiba picture and the IDE cable to be sure pin 1 on the
2.5" drive ( in the picture above ) stays pin 1 on IDE cable (red stripe =
pin 1).

Bobb

"Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:glapug$tbk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Bobb, that's the connector I need.
>
> How do I teach the drive that it's a slave instead of a master? If I don't
> have this set, won't the computer try to boot from both of my drives?

> news:glamm0$oh3$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Jeff ,
>>
>> go here:
>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...tebook+adapter
>> for vendors - pick one like :
>> http://www.shop4tech.com/user.htm?go...&id=6763&r=183
>>
>> for $6.99 they make a small adapter that basically bends/aligns the pins
>>
>> I've got a few - WELL worth the money
>>
>> With that you hook up your laptop drive to your desktop cabling.
>> I leave cover off my PC and rest the laptop drive/adapter/cable on a
>> book externally and copy data to desktop drive.
>>

>> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:glakd0$unb$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "Baron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:glaj5k$eod$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Talk to me!
>>>
>>> It's an IDE drive (ATA-100) built by Toshiba, P/N MK6026GAX.
>>>
>>> I have several ribbon cables, but the pin spacing is not compatible with
>>> the drive. Is that the adaptor I need? By your descriptioin, I read the
>>> adaptor as hardware that fits the small drive into the large drive bay.
>>> I can do that, but if the cables do not fit, then the problem simply
>>> moves from one place to another.
>>>
>>> The connector on the drive has 44 pins on the data side and 4 more pins
>>> on what I assume is the power side. All pins are physically on the same
>>> connector, the arrangement is 4 pins, a space, then 44 pins with Pin 1
>>> indicated. I assume Pin 1 is the first pin for the data connector. There
>>> is a missing pin at the Pin 19 location, and four more pins beyond the
>>> Pin 40 location.
>>>
>>> The pitch of these pins does not match the pitch of the holes in the
>>> ribbon cable.

Baron

- Bobb - wrote:

> On the 2.5 in drives I've seen - there are two pins that designate
> primary/secondary
> Usually no jumper = master, so put a jumper on those pins for slave ,
> or set channel for cable select.

All the IDE drives in laptops I've come across are usually set for cable
select.

> UltraATA cables with the 3 colored (ie, blue, black, and grey)
> connectors support cable select
>
> http://www.toshibastorage.com/techdo...XUserGuide.pdf
> See page 2 - Master/Slave Settings
>
> ** DO pay attention to pin 1 /cable orientation **
> Usually a 3.5" disk cable has a "plug" in one of the pinholes and the
> 3.5" IDE disk drive connector has a pin missing so can "only put the
> cable on the correct way."
>
> Often this aftermarket connector has no pin missing for key and you
> have to cut/ bend the correct pin over to allow the cable to go onto
> the adapter.
> Why? Just because they want to bother with it I guess.

I just heat a spare pin, so its hot enough to melt the plastic, and push
it into the connector to make a hole so that the connector fits without
damaging the male plug.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.