Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > question about rtl

question about rtl

nakisa

Hi.
I want to write English and Farsi(persian) in the same page ,when I
use
the code changes direction of total page, including english text !
I use this command exactly before the Farsi 's part,but it changes
everything!
is there any way to correct it ?
best,nakisa

Helpful person

On Jan 22, 1:58*pm, nakisa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi.
> I want to write English and Farsi(persian) in the same page ,when I
> use
> *<p dir="rtl"> *,
> the code changes direction of total page, including english text !
> I use this command exactly before the Farsi 's part,but it changes
> everything!
> is there any way to correct it ?
> best,nakisa

I believe you need to use embed. See

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.h...pdef-direction

Perhaps others with more experience than me can give a better answer.

Jukka K. Korpela

Ben C wrote:

> On 2009-01-22, nakisa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi.
>> I want to write English and Farsi(persian) in the same page ,when I
>> use
>> the code changes direction of total page, including english text !

> It shouldn't do. You should only get rtl for that paragraph, and ltr
> again for the next one.

Right, but I wonder what people expect dir="rtl" to mean. It should set the
writing direction and the directionality of directionally neutral text, but
it should not affect the direction within text in Latin letters (since they
have inherent left to right directionality) or within text in Arabic letters
(which have right to left directionality).

>> I use this command exactly before the Farsi 's part,but it changes
>> everything!
>> is there any way to correct it ?

Well, there are no commands in HTML.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

nakisa

hi .
The problem is fixed with using <p dir="rtl"> before persian(Farsi )
paragraphs and ‪<p dir="ltr"> before English parts .

but now I don't know how can I control the <li > ( I mean
numerating ) it writes from left !
best,nakisa

Jukka K. Korpela

nakisa wrote:

> The problem is fixed with using <p dir="rtl"> before persian(Farsi )
> paragraphs and ‪<p dir="ltr"> before English parts .

Do you actually read answers posted here? If you do, why don't you quote or
paraphrase them, and why don't you follow the advice of posting a URL?

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/