Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Setting up newsgroups in Outlook Express

Setting up newsgroups in Outlook Express

JohnB

How would I setup this newsgroup, in OE?

I already use Microsoft newsgroups in OE, and that works fine. But
when I try to add a usenet group I get an error.

As the server, in Account setup, for this group, I've tried:
news.alt.com
news.computer.com
news.alt.computer.com
And in every case I get a message saying "Unable to Connect to the
Server"

What am I doing wrong?

- Bobb -

Big Picture is
SOME server has to be your HOST.
Sometimes you need to specify username/password etc.
It MIGHT be your ISP, but maybe not supported ??

What info is in the SERVER field ?
If it shows in OE then right-click on server -properties
If not,

Tools- Accounts - news tab - highlight server - properties.

Browse sites like:
http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/faqs/

for How to newsgroup setup
and check your ISP homepage for specifics

"JohnB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How would I setup this newsgroup, in OE?
>
> I already use Microsoft newsgroups in OE, and that works fine. But
> when I try to add a usenet group I get an error.
>
> As the server, in Account setup, for this group, I've tried:
> news.alt.com
> news.computer.com
> news.alt.computer.com
> And in every case I get a message saying "Unable to Connect to the
> Server"
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Jeff Strickland

"JohnB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How would I setup this newsgroup, in OE?
>
> I already use Microsoft newsgroups in OE, and that works fine. But
> when I try to add a usenet group I get an error.
>
> As the server, in Account setup, for this group, I've tried:
> news.alt.com
> news.computer.com
> news.alt.computer.com
> And in every case I get a message saying "Unable to Connect to the
> Server"
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Asking the question badly.

I'm confused. The groups you listed are not servers.

You said that you already use MSoft groups, that tellsl me that you already
have the news server setup properly, or at least set up. Now, you simply
select teh Newssroups button on the Toolbar and select the additional groups
you want to participate in.

- Bobb -

"Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:glaeh0$ul4$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "JohnB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> How would I setup this newsgroup, in OE?
>>
>> I already use Microsoft newsgroups in OE, and that works fine. But
>> when I try to add a usenet group I get an error.
>>
>> As the server, in Account setup, for this group, I've tried:
>> news.alt.com
>> news.computer.com
>> news.alt.computer.com
>> And in every case I get a message saying "Unable to Connect to the
>> Server"
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?

> You said that you already use MSoft groups, that tellsl me that you
> already have the news server setup properly, or at least set up. Now, you
> simply select teh Newssroups button on the Toolbar and select the
> additional groups you want to participate in.

Jeff,
Mine is setup as his is:

Microsoft appears as its own group - with its own server
'msnews.microsoft.com'. So, in my OE,Microsoft has its own
folder/subfolders.

For THIS group and anything BUT MSFT, I have to have other newsreader
servers.

Jeff Strickland

news:glajms$n2t$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:glaeh0$ul4$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "JohnB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> How would I setup this newsgroup, in OE?
>>>
>>> I already use Microsoft newsgroups in OE, and that works fine. But
>>> when I try to add a usenet group I get an error.
>>>
>>> As the server, in Account setup, for this group, I've tried:
>>> news.alt.com
>>> news.computer.com
>>> news.alt.computer.com
>>> And in every case I get a message saying "Unable to Connect to the
>>> Server"
>>>
>>> What am I doing wrong?

>> You said that you already use MSoft groups, that tellsl me that you
>> already have the news server setup properly, or at least set up. Now, you
>> simply select teh Newssroups button on the Toolbar and select the
>> additional groups you want to participate in.

> Jeff,
> Mine is setup as his is:
>
> Microsoft appears as its own group - with its own server
> 'msnews.microsoft.com'. So, in my OE,Microsoft has its own
> folder/subfolders.

Oh! I get it. The MSoft server won't list the other thousands of groups that
he is trying to get to. I didn't know that MSoft even hosted a server.

Sorry for butting in ...

The OP (original poster, for the new guy) might want to look to Motzarella
for News Service. It's free, and hosts thousands of groups. It discourages
cross posting though -- which is a good thing -- by limiting the poster to
four groups at a time.