Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Zombie ram?

Zombie ram?

Rob S

I have a 1gig stick of Adata 400 DDR ram which I tried installing in a
Asrock 4CoreDX90-VSTA (Intel) m/b but refused to boot. Memtest86
confirmed it as dead. Yesterday I was doing my quarterly cleanup of my
niece's pc (she insists on using Limewire and for some reason her
anti-virus and anti-spyware defs are never up to date, no matter how I
setup auto downloads or give her written instructions). Anyway, her pc
is based on a MSI K7N2 (AMD) m/b.

She only has 256Mb DDR266 ram, so I had a search among my bits & pieces
and came across the Adata stick. Having forgotten that it was dead, I
plugged it in and it booted and ran perfectly. Remembering then that I
previously thought it was dead, I tried running it in the Asrock board,
but again it wouldn't run. I tried both slots as well as every
combination of ram, 1 stick, 2 sticks, alternate slots etc., but it
still wouldn't boot and Memtest86 still confirmed it as dead. The ram
I'm currently running in the Asrock is the same brand, size and speed as
the dead stick.

At this stage my niece arrived to pick up her pc, so I gave it back with
just the original ram plus another 256Mb stick I had lying around. I
hadn't tried running Memtest86 with the dead? stick in her pc.

Has anyone else run across anything like this? A stick that tests out
dead in one m/b but runs perfectly in another? The only other thing I
haven't tried (only now thought of it) is downsizing the ram speed in
the bios.

--
Rob
discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..."' - Isaac Asimov

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <gl8bga$9mg$(E-Mail Removed)>, Rob S wrote:

> ... for some reason her anti-virus and anti-spyware defs are never up to
> date, no matter how I setup auto downloads ...

Seems to be a common Dimdows complaint.

Peter

Rob S wrote:
> Has anyone else run across anything like this? A stick that tests out
> dead in one m/b but runs perfectly in another? The only other thing I
> haven't tried (only now thought of it) is downsizing the ram speed in
> the bios.

Check your version of MemTest is up to date.
Otherwise, it can incorrectly report memory errors.

PeeCee

"Rob S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gl8bga$9mg$(E-Mail Removed)...
snip
.. Yesterday I was doing my quarterly cleanup of my
> niece's pc (she insists on using Limewire and for some reason her
> anti-virus and anti-spyware defs are never up to date, no matter how I
> setup auto downloads or give her written instructions).

snip
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Rob

May I respectfully suggest you make it quite plain to your Niece that if she
continues to use Limewire (and any other P2P music download software) then
she is going to have to pay someone 'else' to fix her PC.

It is well known that a significant portion of P2P downloaded music contains
malware and virus's, fully 30% in Limewires case.
Current nasties are programed to specifically disable Anti Virus and Anti
Spyware products and no amount of auto downloads and written instruction
will beat them.
i.e you are in a no win situation ( I'll bet you do it for nothing too)

Sure we all give family help and asssistance and I have no problem with
that.
But if your Niece is not learning the consequences of her actions then the
kindest thing you can do is to educate her with the realities of her
actions.
I appreciate I am nor privy to your personal relationship to your Niece but
I would draw you attention to the fact that your Niece is aiding in the
disemination of these infected files by having Limewire loaded and music in
her shared folder particularly if she is on broadband.

Are you happy she is helping to perpetuate the problems caused by infected
music downloads?

Best
Paul.

Rob S

Peter wrote:
> Rob S wrote:
>> Has anyone else run across anything like this? A stick that tests out
>> dead in one m/b but runs perfectly in another? The only other thing I
>> haven't tried (only now thought of it) is downsizing the ram speed in
>> the bios.

> Check your version of MemTest is up to date.
> Otherwise, it can incorrectly report memory errors.

Tried 2 versions, one that came with Ubuntu 8.10, which should be up to
date, and an older version on a UBCD download. Both produce lovely
scrolling lines in a bright red font.

--
Rob
Little Johnny was a scientist. Little Johnny is no more. For what he

Rob S

PeeCee wrote:
> "Rob S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gl8bga$9mg$(E-Mail Removed)...
> snip
> . Yesterday I was doing my quarterly cleanup of my
>> niece's pc (she insists on using Limewire and for some reason her
>> anti-virus and anti-spyware defs are never up to date, no matter how I
>> setup auto downloads or give her written instructions).

> snip
>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

> Rob
>
> May I respectfully suggest you make it quite plain to your Niece that if
> she continues to use Limewire (and any other P2P music download
> software) then she is going to have to pay someone 'else' to fix her PC.

I gave her the message when she picked up her pc that I would not look
at it again if she re-installed limewire. Three times with the same
problems and cause stretched even my patience too far. With the new
copyright law taking effect soon I impressed on her the illegality of
her actions again as well.

> It is well known that a significant portion of P2P downloaded music
> contains malware and virus's, fully 30% in Limewires case.

I didn't know the ratio was that high, but even 5% is way too much,
making chances of picking up nasties nearly inevitable.

> Current nasties are programed to specifically disable Anti Virus and
> Anti Spyware products and no amount of auto downloads and written
> instruction will beat them.

Thought something like that might be the cause.

> i.e you are in a no win situation ( I'll bet you do it for nothing too)

Yup. Normal family situation. I might get a home cooked meal or a lotto
lucky dip occasionally.

> Sure we all give family help and asssistance and I have no problem with
> that.
> But if your Niece is not learning the consequences of her actions then
> the kindest thing you can do is to educate her with the realities of her
> actions.
> I appreciate I am nor privy to your personal relationship to your Niece
> but I would draw you attention to the fact that your Niece is aiding in
> the disemination of these infected files by having Limewire loaded and
> music in her shared folder particularly if she is on broadband.
>
> Are you happy she is helping to perpetuate the problems caused by
> infected music downloads?

See above. Horses and water come to mind. Thanks for your views. They
correspond with mine in all respects.

--
Rob
Fine, fine, everything is fine. But using your GUI's breaking my mind!

Rob S

geoff wrote:
> Rob S wrote:
>> Has anyone else run across anything like this? A stick that tests out
>> dead in one m/b but runs perfectly in another? The only other thing I
>> haven't tried (only now thought of it) is downsizing the ram speed in
>> the bios.

> Yep - it's quite common for a particular mobo to have trouble with different
> manufacturers' ostensibly-identical spec RAM. Sometimes a BIOS update fixes
> things. Sometimes fiddling the R
> parasmeters can overcome it, if those adjustments are available in BIOS.
>
> geoff

Updated my bios about 3 weeks ago. I'll have a play around with the ram
and bios when I can be bothered with crawling around in tight spaces
again, which I doubt will be in the immediate future. I took the
opportunity to remove dust build-up in the box and tidied wiring
involving 3 boxes and attendant keyboards, mice etc. at the time. Not
something I want to do again in a hurry with a fused spine. My pain
clinic doctor is already worried about the amount of a particular
painkiller I take just to get through an ordinary day when I try not to
stress my back.

--
Rob
BTW, FWIW, IMHO, AFAIK, yes. OTOH, AAMOF, maybe not. YMMV.

Rob S

~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Rob S wrote:
>> I have a 1gig stick of Adata 400 DDR ram which I tried installing in a
>> Asrock 4CoreDX90-VSTA (Intel) m/b but refused to boot. Memtest86
>> confirmed it as dead. Yesterday I was doing my quarterly cleanup of my
>> niece's pc (she insists on using Limewire and for some reason her
>> anti-virus and anti-spyware defs are never up to date, no matter how I
>> setup auto downloads or give her written instructions). Anyway, her pc
>> is based on a MSI K7N2 (AMD) m/b.
>>
>> She only has 256Mb DDR266 ram, so I had a search among my bits &
>> pieces and came across the Adata stick. Having forgotten that it was
>> dead, I plugged it in and it booted and ran perfectly. Remembering
>> then that I previously thought it was dead, I tried running it in the
>> Asrock board, but again it wouldn't run. I tried both slots as well
>> as every combination of ram, 1 stick, 2 sticks, alternate slots etc.,
>> but it still wouldn't boot and Memtest86 still confirmed it as dead.
>> The ram I'm currently running in the Asrock is the same brand, size
>> and speed as the dead stick.
>>
>> At this stage my niece arrived to pick up her pc, so I gave it back
>> with just the original ram plus another 256Mb stick I had lying
>> around. I hadn't tried running Memtest86 with the dead? stick in her
>> pc.
>> Has anyone else run across anything like this? A stick that tests out
>> dead in one m/b but runs perfectly in another? The only other thing I
>> haven't tried (only now thought of it) is downsizing the ram speed in
>> the bios.

> This seems pretty obvious to me, maybe I'm missing something?
>
> It seems that the module won't run at it's rated speed in your mobo (you
> said it was 400) but will run at a reduced speed (266) in her mobo. Other
> factors could of course come into play such as your mobo might have a bit of
> voltage droop from running more / bigger modules but it sems to me most
> likely to be the speed issue.
>
> Cheers,

You're probably right Shaun. I think what I'll end up doing is giving my
niece the stick and get a new one for myself. That of course depends on
finances, being a state funded invalid. I just hope that when I do get
another stick I don't have the same problem which would point to voltage
stability issues. I really don't want to have to get a new m/b. I'm
currently running just 1 gig with Ubuntu 8.10. Runs that fine, but a
couple of virtual machines (XP & Solaris) and Boinc with 4 projects
slows it to a crawl at times.

Cheers.

--
Rob
Excuse me for butting in, but I'm interrupt-driven...

~misfit~

~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Rob S wrote:
>> ~misfit~ wrote:

>>> This seems pretty obvious to me, maybe I'm missing something?
>>>
>>> It seems that the module won't run at it's rated speed in your mobo
>>> (you said it was 400) but will run at a reduced speed (266) in her
>>> mobo. Other factors could of course come into play such as your mobo
>>> might have a bit of voltage droop from running more / bigger modules
>>> but it sems to me most likely to be the speed issue.

>> You're probably right Shaun. I think what I'll end up doing is giving
>> my niece the stick and get a new one for myself. That of course
>> depends on finances, being a state funded invalid.

Would you believe she rang last night with problems? Pc rebooting itself
at irregular intervals. First thoughts were power supply or cpu fan, but
after a google I found out that some AMD systems suffer reboots after
installing XP SP3. I had loaded her pc with a slipstreamed SP3 disk.
Looks like I'll have to re-install with SP2, boot in safe mode, rename a
problem file, reboot and apply a patch then install SP3, which I'm very
tempted not to do, as aside from virii etc, SP2 hummed along nicely for
the last couple of years.

Here's the procedure, if anyone else has this problem.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c01457284
or http://tinyurl.com/5b9xkh

I hope this fixes her problem, otherwise it's probably hardware, and
I'll have to pull a power supply out of my web server to try in her pc.
Ah well. At least she doesn't use limewire any more. With my luck
she'll find out about torrents and get bugs that way instead.

> Snap.
>
>> I just hope that
>> when I do get another stick I don't have the same problem which would
>> point to voltage stability issues. I really don't want to have to get
>> a new m/b.

> Why would you need a new mobo? You do have an Asus right? <g> Both Asus'
> mobos and graphics cards have a three year warranty.

When I bought this board it was only ever intended as a short term deal
(finances). Sure I could get a replacement on warranty, but I was hoping
the next time I had to fiddle around with teeny wires (power blocks,
front usb etc.) it would be with a better board. I have problems with
fiddly things after a tumor strangling my spinal cord. But if the mobo
does clap out I'll face that hurdle blah blah.

I'm waiting on a

Zombie Honeymoon Fran DVD Video 0 07-29-2005 05:04 AM
How to kill a zombie ssh session on a router. AM Cisco 2 01-12-2005 03:17 PM
DVD Verdict reviews: ZOMBIE PLANET, STATESIDE, BROKEN WINGS, and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 11-11-2004 10:10 AM
Look UK eBayers, going dirt cheap, Zombie (aka Zombie Flesh Eaters) R1 Peter Row DVD Video 0 08-27-2004 03:02 PM
plouk zombie plouk zombie serge.john.swilting Perl Misc 1 08-20-2003 06:43 AM

Advertisments