Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Having a new computer built.

Having a new computer built.

Seth

I am looking into have a computer built. Will Windows XP Professional x64
Edition work with Microsoft Office and the Adobe Suites? Thanks.

Dominic Payer

Yes, but you will find that drivers for hardware are scarce and may not be
available for the devices you want to use. You would be better advised to go
for x64 Vista in whichever edition best suited you needs.

"Seth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am looking into have a computer built. Will Windows XP Professional x64
> Edition work with Microsoft Office and the Adobe Suites? Thanks.

David B.

My opinion, if you want to stay with XP, use 32 bit, if you want 64 bit go
with Vista.

miso@sushi.com

On Jan 21, 1:21*am, "Dominic Payer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Yes, but you will find that drivers for hardware are scarce and may not be
> available for the devices you want to use. You would be better advised to go
> for x64 Vista in whichever edition best suited you needs.
>
> "Seth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> >I am looking into have a computer built. *Will Windows XP Professional x64
> > Edition work with Microsoft Office and the Adobe Suites? *Thanks.

I'm running X64 and agree it is a dead end, but drivers may not be all
that big of an issue. I'm running one box that in theory doesn't have
64 bit drivers, but it uses the FTDI chipset. I just ignore the
drivers that came with the device and used the one provided by FTDI.
I have a USB to serial converter than has X64 drivers. My old printers
had drivers on X64, which I run through an axis print server. I've
used two different Sony burners, though on firewire. I even run a film
scanner using Vuescan.

My point is you can find X64 on the net pretty cheap. In fact, IIRC,
it was only sold as OEM. So run X64 until windows 7 is out would be a
plan to consider. If money is no option, then go vista and dump it
later for Windows 7.

krakr

"Seth" wrote:

> I am looking into have a computer built. Will Windows XP Professional x64
> Edition work with Microsoft Office and the Adobe Suites? Thanks.

The original responders must be MS employees, cuz I've run XP x64 for mare
than 2 years and drivers ceased to be an issue over a year ago. I run
high-end games on my sys & no issues. Wordperfect works fine a well, so I
imagine MS Office should. (My clients are mainly lawyers & they still use it,
yes). You should be ashamed of yourselves in shamelessly promoting the newer,
more expensive, and YES more bug-ridden OS

krakr

"krakr" wrote:

> "Seth" wrote:
>
> > I am looking into have a computer built. Will Windows XP Professional x64
> > Edition work with Microsoft Office and the Adobe Suites? Thanks.

> The original responders must be MS employees, cuz I've run XP x64 for more
> than 2 years and drivers ceased to be an issue over a year ago. I run
> high-end games on my sys & no issues. Wordperfect works fine a well, so I
> imagine MS Office should. (My clients are mainly lawyers & they still use it,
> yes). You should be ashamed of yourselves in shamelessly promoting the newer,
> more expensive, and YES more bug-ridden OS

as for other apps I've run that are seemless, Avast AV, which is free for
home use, Comodo fiorewall, also free these are true 64-bit progs. Don't
forget vista 64 is going to use 32-bit emu for all yer 32 bit software as
well.

The fact that they're working on Windows 7 rather than patching Vista should
tell you all you need to know. At least XP x64 is based on Windows Server
2003 and has 2 service packs.

If the shelf life of future MS OS's lasts as long as Vista, I imagine I'll
branch out, because I don't recommend any MS product until after testing the
second patch. I expect XP will last as long as NT 4 did in the corporate
world as well.