Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Cannot remove wireless network (assigned by GPO)

Cannot remove wireless network (assigned by GPO)

Erik

So.. a while back I was experimenting with using GPOs to push out my wireless
settings. And it worked quite well.

Unfortunately, the time came to make changes to the wireless settings, and
the GPO (at the time) no longer sufficed... certain options were missing at
the time (such as being able to set a WPA2-PSK network up). So, I removed
the GPO entirely off my domain.

I now have a WinXP Pro laptop which will not get rid of the setting... I
have tried the following (connected via LAN).

1) gpupdate /force
2) gpupdate /boot

I have restarted the computer after each step above.

Upon trying to just use the wizard to delete the connection, it removes
successfully... but then when I add the new wireless network (of the same
SSID) and set it up right, it won't connect. When I go back to look at it,
it shows that it's still the same WEP network.

I then tried to gpedit my way through, and just remove that GP setting...
however the "Wireless Network (IEEE 802.11) Policies" section does not exist.

Any ideas? I've searched and searched, and I can't find anything in the
registry to delete (created a dummy network with a unique ssid so that I
could just search the reg for that name... no results found).

I tried replacing my %systemroot%/inf/sceregvl.inf file to see if I could
get that GP option to show up, but still no go (rebooted after the file
replacement).

Phillip Windell

You may have to recreate the GPO and flip it to reverse what you did.

Some settings done with GPO have to be "undone" with GPO before getting rid
of the GPO.

I have never messed with the wireless settings via GPO so I don't know what
the settings "look like",...so that is the best I can tell you.

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

"Erik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> So.. a while back I was experimenting with using GPOs to push out my
> wireless
> settings. And it worked quite well.
>
> Unfortunately, the time came to make changes to the wireless settings, and
> the GPO (at the time) no longer sufficed... certain options were missing
> at
> the time (such as being able to set a WPA2-PSK network up). So, I removed
> the GPO entirely off my domain.
>
> I now have a WinXP Pro laptop which will not get rid of the setting... I
> have tried the following (connected via LAN).
>
> 1) gpupdate /force
> 2) gpupdate /boot
>
> I have restarted the computer after each step above.
>
> Upon trying to just use the wizard to delete the connection, it removes
> successfully... but then when I add the new wireless network (of the same
> SSID) and set it up right, it won't connect. When I go back to look at
> it,
> it shows that it's still the same WEP network.
>
> I then tried to gpedit my way through, and just remove that GP setting...
> however the "Wireless Network (IEEE 802.11) Policies" section does not
> exist.
>
> Any ideas? I've searched and searched, and I can't find anything in the
> registry to delete (created a dummy network with a unique ssid so that I
> could just search the reg for that name... no results found).
>
> I tried replacing my %systemroot%/inf/sceregvl.inf file to see if I could
> get that GP option to show up, but still no go (rebooted after the file
> replacement).

Erik

Unfortunately, this seems to have not done the trick.. I had high hopes, but
for whatever reason the new wireless GPO seems to not be able to usurp the
settings.

"Phillip Windell" wrote:

> You may have to recreate the GPO and flip it to reverse what you did.
>
> Some settings done with GPO have to be "undone" with GPO before getting rid
> of the GPO.
>
> I have never messed with the wireless settings via GPO so I don't know what
> the settings "look like",...so that is the best I can tell you.
>
> --
> Phillip Windell
> www.wandtv.com
>
> The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or Microsoft,
>

> "Erik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > So.. a while back I was experimenting with using GPOs to push out my
> > wireless
> > settings. And it worked quite well.
> >
> > Unfortunately, the time came to make changes to the wireless settings, and
> > the GPO (at the time) no longer sufficed... certain options were missing
> > at
> > the time (such as being able to set a WPA2-PSK network up). So, I removed
> > the GPO entirely off my domain.
> >
> > I now have a WinXP Pro laptop which will not get rid of the setting... I
> > have tried the following (connected via LAN).
> >
> > 1) gpupdate /force
> > 2) gpupdate /boot
> >
> > I have restarted the computer after each step above.
> >
> > Upon trying to just use the wizard to delete the connection, it removes
> > successfully... but then when I add the new wireless network (of the same
> > SSID) and set it up right, it won't connect. When I go back to look at
> > it,
> > it shows that it's still the same WEP network.
> >
> > I then tried to gpedit my way through, and just remove that GP setting...
> > however the "Wireless Network (IEEE 802.11) Policies" section does not
> > exist.
> >
> > Any ideas? I've searched and searched, and I can't find anything in the
> > registry to delete (created a dummy network with a unique ssid so that I
> > could just search the reg for that name... no results found).
> >
> > I tried replacing my %systemroot%/inf/sceregvl.inf file to see if I could
> > get that GP option to show up, but still no go (rebooted after the file
> > replacement).

Phillip Windell

"Erik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Unfortunately, this seems to have not done the trick.. I had high hopes,
> but
> for whatever reason the new wireless GPO seems to not be able to usurp the
> settings.

Ok,..well I don't know what to do with that. If I think of anything I'll
post back.

For the future,..if you don't think you will need a GPO any longer just
"unlink" it without deleting it because you can always "re-link" if you need
to. Then only delete it when you are certain it will never be needed.

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

Erik

Definitely a good tip, and one that I'll be sure to follow in the future.. in
this case though, I was pretty sure I wouldn't need the GPO.

Other laptops work just fine, it happens to just be this specific laptop.

"Phillip Windell" wrote:

> "Erik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Unfortunately, this seems to have not done the trick.. I had high hopes,
> > but
> > for whatever reason the new wireless GPO seems to not be able to usurp the
> > settings.

> Ok,..well I don't know what to do with that. If I think of anything I'll
> post back.
>
> For the future,..if you don't think you will need a GPO any longer just
> "unlink" it without deleting it because you can always "re-link" if you need
> to. Then only delete it when you are certain it will never be needed.
>
> --
> Phillip Windell
> www.wandtv.com
>
> The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or Microsoft,

Phillip Windell

"Erik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Definitely a good tip, and one that I'll be sure to follow in the future..
> in
> this case though, I was pretty sure I wouldn't need the GPO.
>
> Other laptops work just fine, it happens to just be this specific laptop.

Since it is only one machine....

You could try a Windows Restore Point,...or go "scorched earth" and use the
OEM restore feature to reload the whole thing back to factory specs. You
can save the My Docs, Desktop, and Browser Favorites before you do that.

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com