Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > blurred text on monitor

blurred text on monitor

Fastmoggy

Hi,
got a CTX 17" monitor which has got blurred text.
The desktop icon names are blurred as are the task bar and start menu text
but on other applications the text is pin sharp! ie note pad/word and msm.
Is this a CTX thing or some settings problem with window desk enviroment?
Ive not ever seen this before and sure i havn't heard of it so slightly
confused. I will try putting another monitor on it to see if problems
persist.
The only other thing could be the graphics card and as the computer is used
by my teenaged son who 'knows what hes doing!' may have done something.
the card in question is an ATI sapphre with the words ati catalyst on the
disk.
Thanks in advance for any help on this problem

Helpful guy

"Fastmoggy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:QQodl.11465$P%(E-Mail Removed)2...
> Hi,
> got a CTX 17" monitor which has got blurred text.
> The desktop icon names are blurred as are the task bar and start menu text
> but on other applications the text is pin sharp! ie note pad/word and msm.
> Is this a CTX thing or some settings problem with window desk enviroment?

CRT or LCD monitor?
If CRT then one possibility is a monitor with a dynamic focusing issue.

> Ive not ever seen this before and sure i havn't heard of it so slightly
> confused. I will try putting another monitor on it to see if problems
> persist.

Try moving the notepad window around the screen and look to see whether the
text becomes blurred when you move it to the edges and corners of the
screen. If it does then replace the monitor. If it stays sharp then you have
some other problem.

> The only other thing could be the graphics card and as the computer is
> used by my teenaged son who 'knows what hes doing!' may have done
> something.
> the card in question is an ATI sapphre with the words ati catalyst on the
> disk.
> Thanks in advance for any help on this problem

Fastmoggy

"Helpful guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gl57k4$ne2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Fastmoggy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:QQodl.11465$P%(E-Mail Removed)2...
>> Hi,
>> got a CTX 17" monitor which has got blurred text.
>> The desktop icon names are blurred as are the task bar and start menu
>> text but on other applications the text is pin sharp! ie note pad/word
>> and msm.
>> Is this a CTX thing or some settings problem with window desk enviroment?

> CRT or LCD monitor?
> If CRT then one possibility is a monitor with a dynamic focusing issue.
>
>> Ive not ever seen this before and sure i havn't heard of it so slightly
>> confused. I will try putting another monitor on it to see if problems
>> persist.

> Try moving the notepad window around the screen and look to see whether
> the text becomes blurred when you move it to the edges and corners of the
> screen. If it does then replace the monitor. If it stays sharp then you
> have some other problem.
>
>> The only other thing could be the graphics card and as the computer is
>> used by my teenaged son who 'knows what hes doing!' may have done
>> something.
>> the card in question is an ATI sapphre with the words ati catalyst on the
>> disk.
>> Thanks in advance for any help on this problem

Sorry forgot to say but CRT
text from notepad is fine in all corners of screen

Shel-hed

Drivers.
A common problem with older ATI stuff.

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 18:36:32 -0000, "Fastmoggy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>got a CTX 17" monitor which has got blurred text.
>The desktop icon names are blurred as are the task bar and start menu text
>but on other applications the text is pin sharp! ie note pad/word and msm.
>Is this a CTX thing or some settings problem with window desk enviroment?
>Ive not ever seen this before and sure i havn't heard of it so slightly
>confused. I will try putting another monitor on it to see if problems
>persist.
>The only other thing could be the graphics card and as the computer is used
>by my teenaged son who 'knows what hes doing!' may have done something.
>the card in question is an ATI sapphre with the words ati catalyst on the
>disk.
>Thanks in advance for any help on this problem

ian field

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> As the other poster suggested it may be a focus problem.
> If you're comfortable opening the monitor and know what the flyback
> transformer is there are two controls on it, one is for screen brightness,
> the other for focus and adjusting this may cure it.
> My advice woul be to take it to a TV engineer, it's a 5 minute job but
> working inside monitors can be dangerous if you don't know what you're
> doing.

Bear in mind that the monitor will have to be powered while the main PCB is
exposed to carry out this procedure and there will be lethal voltage on at
least one heatsink in the SMPSU section.

The EHT supply to the CRT is about 25kV and the coatings on the inside and
outside of the CRT bowl form a large capacitor which can remain charged
after the monitor is switched off - having said that, it is at least very
well insulated.

Its not uncommon for dodgy repair shops to say "the tubes gone!" and try to
sell you the most expensive replacement they have, although in the case of a
focus fault there's a slim chance they might be telling the truth, so there
might be some benefit to trying a slight adjustment to the focus pot on the
line scan transformer, but focus can also be affected by worn out
electrolytics in the power supply.

When messing with a live chassis keep one hand in your pocket that way you
can't touch something earthed with your left hand while touching something
live with your right (passing current across the chest is often fatal) and
wear rubber soled shoes so you aren't earthed if you do touch something
live.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Fastmoggy wrote:

> got a CTX 17" monitor which has got blurred text. The desktop icon
> names are blurred as are the task bar and start menu text but on
> other applications the text is pin sharp! ie note pad/word and msm.

Your desktop is blurry. Your applications are "pin sharp." Does anyone
really think that this is a hardware problem? Wouldn't the apps also be
blurry if it was?

Aside from the below, the only other thing that makes sense is some kind
of corrupt "theme" was installed. <shrug>

> The only other thing could be the graphics card and as the computer is
> used by my teenaged son who 'knows what hes doing!' may have done
> something.

Heh. "teenaged son who 'knows what hes doing!'" Did he install any new
game, or video program, just before your desktop went blurry?

Try reinstalling your video drivers. Give your son his own limited login
account.

--
-bts

Fastmoggy

"VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gl5h8v$6mi$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Fastmoggy wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> got a CTX 17" monitor which has got blurred text.
>> The desktop icon names are blurred as are the task bar and start menu
>> text
>> but on other applications the text is pin sharp! ie note pad/word and
>> msm.
>> Is this a CTX thing or some settings problem with window desk enviroment?
>> Ive not ever seen this before and sure i havn't heard of it so slightly
>> confused. I will try putting another monitor on it to see if problems
>> persist.
>> The only other thing could be the graphics card and as the computer is
>> used
>> by my teenaged son who 'knows what hes doing!' may have done something.
>> the card in question is an ATI sapphre with the words ati catalyst on the
>> disk.
>> Thanks in advance for any help on this problem

> In Windows, check the DPI setting (Control Panel -> Display -> Settings
> tab, Advanced button). Reset back to the default and check the screen
> again.
>
> Disable ClearType or set it to Standard (if your unidentified version of
> Windows supports ClearType): Control Panel, Display applet, Appearance
> tab, Effects button. Disable the "Smooth edges of screen fonts" option:
> (in Windows XP) Control Panel, System applet, Advanced tab, performance
> Settings button, Visual Effects tab.
>
> Has someone been tweaking the display settings (in Windows, not for the
> video card)? Maybe someone went into the Display applet (Control
> Panel), Appearance tab, Advanced button, and went changing the text
> sizes for various components. I believe you can reset these changes by
> changing the Font size selection back in the Appearance tab: change to a
> different size and then back to what it was. If that doesn't work,
> change the "Windows and buttons" selection to a different theme, click
> Apply, and change back to the prior selection and click Apply.
>
> Has someone changed the video resolution? Tried other resolutions?
>
> Just in case someone has been playing around with the monitor's settings
> (but won't admit it), see if there is a [factory] reset selection in the
> OSD (onscreen display) menu in the monitor. Rather than trying to
> adjust convergence (vertical or horizontal), focus, or other alignment
> settings on the monitor, make sure the monitor is back to its default
> setup.

Thanks for that, clear type rings a few bells so i'll bear that in mind.
I will try another monitor first to see if problems persists, if not ive
just aquired a new doorstop!

Helpful guy

"Fastmoggy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gxpdl.26592$(E-Mail Removed)2...

> "Helpful guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gl57k4$ne2$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Fastmoggy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:QQodl.11465$P%(E-Mail Removed)2...
>>> Hi,

snip
> Sorry forgot to say but CRT
> text from notepad is fine in all corners of screen

In that case the monitor is fine and you have some other issue.
It may be related to the fonts Windows uses for icons and other things.
This is not something I change often so I'll leave it to other people to
help you with that.

I know it's not what you're asking but a thorough check for malware might be
in order if your teenage son browses the web on a broadband connection in an
administrator account, particularly if the computer is directly connected to
a broadband modem. Malware doesn't usually cause this type of issue though.

chuckcar

"Fastmoggy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:QQodl.11465$P%(E-Mail Removed)2:

> Hi,
> got a CTX 17" monitor which has got blurred text.
> The desktop icon names are blurred as are the task bar and start menu
> text but on other applications the text is pin sharp! ie note pad/word
> and msm. Is this a CTX thing or some settings problem with window desk
> enviroment? Ive not ever seen this before and sure i havn't heard of it
> so slightly confused. I will try putting another monitor on it to see if
> problems persist.
> The only other thing could be the graphics card and as the computer is
> used by my teenaged son who 'knows what hes doing!' may have done
> something. the card in question is an ATI sapphre with the words ati
> catalyst on the disk.
> Thanks in advance for any help on this problem

Try cleaning the screen with a soapy damp cloth (*not* wet: you don't want
drips) and then wiping with a plain damp one until all the streaks go
away. Do this while the monitor is *on* with a bright one colour
background optimally.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Buffalo

Fastmoggy wrote:
> Hi,
> got a CTX 17" monitor which has got blurred text.
> The desktop icon names are blurred as are the task bar and start menu
> text but on other applications the text is pin sharp! ie note
> pad/word and msm. Is this a CTX thing or some settings problem with
> window desk enviroment? Ive not ever seen this before and sure i
> havn't heard of it so slightly confused. I will try putting another
> monitor on it to see if problems persist.
> The only other thing could be the graphics card and as the computer
> is used by my teenaged son who 'knows what hes doing!' may have done
> something. the card in question is an ATI sapphre with the words ati
> catalyst on the disk.
> Thanks in advance for any help on this problem

Don't follow the advice of some to get inside the monitor.
Strange problem with just the Desktop being out of focus.
State what OS you are using 98,ME,2000,XP,Vista?.

Do a search for shelliconcache and delete it.
Then reboot and see if that helps. (This just causes Windows to rebuild the
icons and create a new shelliconcache file).
Hopefully someone will come along to give the proper answer.

You could also try rt clicking on a blank space of the taskbar and select
Properties and then check or uncheck the box that says something like
'show small icons in Start Menu' or similar and click OK. Then you can go
back and do the opposite to get back to where you were.

Another one to try is to rt click on a blank area of the Desktop and choose
Properties.
Then select Effects and you should see an option Use Large Icons
either check it or uncheck it (the opposite of what it is)
and select OK.

Then just do the same thing and put it back to what it was or to what you
prefer.\

You can always reinstall (or update) the video card drivers as soon as you
identify the correct model number of your vid card.
Everest is a free program (I think) and also Belarc Advisor that should be
able to identify your vid card.
Hopefully one of these ideas will do the trick.
Buffalo