Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > No new newsgroups in Thunderbird

No new newsgroups in Thunderbird

fatsteve

I've been wondering about this for a while. I used to use Outlook
Express and every now and then I'd get a message saying there are new
newsgroups on the server would you like to view them, pressing ok would
pop up a list of new newsgroups on the server. Since I've been using
Thunderbird which has been probably a couple of years now I have not had
any similar message. Does Thunderbird not have this function or is it
just that my news server really has had no new newsgroups in that time?

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

fatsteve wrote:
> I've been wondering about this for a while. I used to use Outlook
> Express and every now and then I'd get a message saying there are new
> newsgroups on the server would you like to view them, pressing ok would
> pop up a list of new newsgroups on the server. Since I've been using
> Thunderbird which has been probably a couple of years now I have not had
> any similar message. Does Thunderbird not have this function or is it
> just that my news server really has had no new newsgroups in that time?

I've never heard of anything like that, so no, TB
doesn't do that. If you want to see whats there, then
click on File, Subscribe, and hit the refresh button.

help!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

fatsteve

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> fatsteve wrote:
>> I've been wondering about this for a while. I used to use Outlook
>> Express and every now and then I'd get a message saying there are new
>> newsgroups on the server would you like to view them, pressing ok
>> would pop up a list of new newsgroups on the server. Since I've been
>> using Thunderbird which has been probably a couple of years now I have
>> not had any similar message. Does Thunderbird not have this function
>> or is it just that my news server really has had no new newsgroups in
>> that time?

> I've never heard of anything like that, so no, TB doesn't do that. If
> you want to see whats there, then click on File, Subscribe, and hit the
> refresh button.

Yeah that just refreshes the list without any information on which if
any groups are new. That's ok though as it's not really important, I've
just been wondering about it that's all.

Justin

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote on [Mon, 19 Jan 2009 23:15:10 -0800]:
> fatsteve wrote:
>> I've been wondering about this for a while. I used to use Outlook
>> Express and every now and then I'd get a message saying there are new
>> newsgroups on the server would you like to view them, pressing ok would
>> pop up a list of new newsgroups on the server. Since I've been using
>> Thunderbird which has been probably a couple of years now I have not had
>> any similar message. Does Thunderbird not have this function or is it
>> just that my news server really has had no new newsgroups in that time?

> I've never heard of anything like that, so no, TB
> doesn't do that. If you want to see whats there, then
> click on File, Subscribe, and hit the refresh button.

Really, TB doesn't tell you what new groups there are?

Justin wrote:
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote on [Mon, 19 Jan 2009 23:15:10 -0800]:
>> fatsteve wrote:
>>> I've been wondering about this for a while. I used to use Outlook
>>> Express and every now and then I'd get a message saying there are new
>>> newsgroups on the server would you like to view them, pressing ok would
>>> pop up a list of new newsgroups on the server. Since I've been using
>>> Thunderbird which has been probably a couple of years now I have not had
>>> any similar message. Does Thunderbird not have this function or is it
>>> just that my news server really has had no new newsgroups in that time?

>> I've never heard of anything like that, so no, TB
>> doesn't do that. If you want to see whats there, then
>> click on File, Subscribe, and hit the refresh button.

> Really, TB doesn't tell you what new groups there are?

does yours?

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote on [Tue, 20 Jan 2009 10:47:44 -0800]:
> Justin wrote:
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote on [Mon, 19 Jan 2009 23:15:10 -0800]:
>>> I've never heard of anything like that, so no, TB
>>> doesn't do that. If you want to see whats there, then
>>> click on File, Subscribe, and hit the refresh button.

>> Really, TB doesn't tell you what new groups there are?

> does yours?

My newsreader? Yes. But it's not Thunderbird. It's SLRN.

Every other read I have used notified me though.

Justin wrote:
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote on [Tue, 20 Jan 2009 10:47:44 -0800]:
>> Justin wrote:
>>> Really, TB doesn't tell you what new groups there are?

>> does yours?

> My newsreader? Yes. But it's not Thunderbird. It's SLRN.
>
> Every other read I have used notified me though.

well, TB isn't every other reader

Ed Mullen wrote on [Tue, 20 Jan 2009 19:34:24 -0500]:
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> Justin wrote:
>>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote on [Tue, 20 Jan 2009 10:47:44
>>> -0800]:
>>>
>>> My newsreader? Yes. But it's not Thunderbird. It's SLRN.
>>>
>>> Every other read I have used notified me though.

>> well, TB isn't every other reader
>>

> And it is lacking in this respect.
>
> It's a comparative database function. Not all that difficult. And, the
> much maligned Outlook Express, on whose shortcoming TB has based its
> ascendancy, has it.

It's not even that. There's a command in the NNTP specification called
NEWGROUPS and it accepts a date as an argument. So the server will tell
you the new groups since whatever date.

Sven Svenson

Justin skrev:
> Ed Mullen wrote on [Tue, 20 Jan 2009 19:34:24 -0500]:
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>>> well, TB isn't every other reader
>>>

>> And it is lacking in this respect.
>>
>> It's a comparative database function. Not all that difficult. And, the
>> much maligned Outlook Express, on whose shortcoming TB has based its
>> ascendancy, has it.

> It's not even that. There's a command in the NNTP specification called
> NEWGROUPS and it accepts a date as an argument. So the server will tell
> you the new groups since whatever date.

Very few servers implement that command due to to much stree on the
server. In OE it might work for some servers and not for others.