Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > URL Shortcut

URL Shortcut

Peter M

Hi can I add logon details to a shortcut URL link.?

Thanks..

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> Hi can I add logon details to a shortcut URL link.?

That depends on the browser of course - but you don't say.

With the browser open - try pressing F1.

It also depends on the "logon" - which again, you don't say - it may not
be supported on the backend.

--
Duncan

Richard

Peter M wrote:

> Hi can I add logon details to a shortcut URL link.?
>

> Thanks..

No, http basic authentication isnt supported via the address, has not
being for quite some time now.

And form based never was.

Enkidu

Peter M wrote:

> Hi can I add logon details to a shortcut URL link.?

Some web server will not pass through the login details in the URL, eg

https://mylogin:(E-Mail Removed)

Reading between the lines you might be running into this, or similar:

Cheers,

Cliff

--

Linux is theft.

Peter M

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:53:58 +1300, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>>

>> Hi can I add logon details to a shortcut URL link.?

>That depends on the browser of course - but you don't say.
>
>With the browser open - try pressing F1.
>
>It also depends on the "logon" - which again, you don't say - it may not
>be supported on the backend.

IE8 RC1 and to log into Clear.net usage meter using a desktop URL link.

Accc No. and Password.

Peter M

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 12:23:50 +1300, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Peter M wrote:
>>
>> Hi can I add logon details to a shortcut URL link.?
>>

>Some web server will not pass through the login details in the URL, eg
>
>https://mylogin:(E-Mail Removed)
>
>Reading between the lines you might be running into this, or similar:
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;834489
>
>Cheers,
>
>Cliff

This is not secure type login as all I want to be able to do is to log in and
read my usage details, from just a click from my desktop..

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Peter M wrote:

> ... all I want to be able to do is to log in
> and read my usage details, from just a click from my desktop..

Try writing a custom web-scraping script.

Enkidu

Peter M wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 12:23:50 +1300, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Peter M wrote:
>>> Hi can I add logon details to a shortcut URL link.?
>>>

>> Some web server will not pass through the login details in the URL, eg
>>
>> http(s)://mylogin:(E-Mail Removed)
>>
>> Reading between the lines you might be running into this, or similar:

> This is not secure type login as all I want to be able to do is to log in and
> read my usage details, from just a click from my desktop..

As far as I know the only way to pass login and password to an
application directly via a URL is as I gave above. It doesn't have to be
https - it can be http.

If the login page is in fact a form, then you *might* be able to connect
with a URL of the form:

http://www.mysite.co.nz?username=cli...ord=mypassword

but, the field names 'username', 'password' may not be as above and
there may be other parameters that are needed. Finally, there may be
Javascript or other routines to obfuscate the username and password so
the URL might be something like:

http://www.mysite.co.nz?session=QW3vcevvf8kksMMkQ

One way to find out what the URL should be is if you use Firefox to
install Live Headers and look at what actually passes between the you
and the site.

When I was using the Telecom JetStream usage page I had to write a
script to login and scrape the details from the usage page.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

Linux is theft.

Enkidu

Enkidu wrote:
> Peter M wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 12:23:50 +1300, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> Some web server will not pass through the login details in the URL, eg
>>>
>>> http(s)://mylogin:(E-Mail Removed)
>>>
>>> Reading between the lines you might be running into this, or similar:
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;834489

>> This is not secure type login as all I want to be able to do is to log
>> in and
>> read my usage details, from just a click from my desktop..
>>

> As far as I know the only way to pass login and password to an
> application directly via a URL is as I gave above. It doesn't have to be
> https - it can be http.
>
> If the login page is in fact a form, then you *might* be able to connect
> with a URL of the form:
>
> http://www.mysite.co.nz?username=cli...ord=mypassword
>
> but, the field names 'username', 'password' may not be as above and
> there may be other parameters that are needed. Finally, there may be
> Javascript or other routines to obfuscate the username and password so
> the URL might be something like:
>
> http://www.mysite.co.nz?session=QW3vcevvf8kksMMkQ
>
> One way to find out what the URL should be is if you use Firefox to
> install Live Headers and look at what actually passes between the you
> and the site.
>
> When I was using the Telecom JetStream usage page I had to write a
> script to login and scrape the details from the usage page.

That last is not true. Someone else wrote the script, and I modified it
to fit my needs.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

Linux is theft.

Peter M

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 15:46:45 +1300, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Peter M wrote:

>>> Some web server will not pass through the login details in the URL, eg
>>>
>>> http(s)://mylogin:(E-Mail Removed)
>>>
>>> Reading between the lines you might be running into this, or similar:
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;834489

>> This is not secure type login as all I want to be able to do is to log in and
>> read my usage details, from just a click from my desktop..
>>

>As far as I know the only way to pass login and password to an
>application directly via a URL is as I gave above. It doesn't have to be
>https - it can be http.
>
>If the login page is in fact a form, then you *might* be able to connect
>with a URL of the form:
>
>http://www.mysite.co.nz?username=cli...ord=mypassword
>
>but, the field names 'username', 'password' may not be as above and
>there may be other parameters that are needed. Finally, there may be
>Javascript or other routines to obfuscate the username and password so
>the URL might be something like:
>
>http://www.mysite.co.nz?session=QW3vcevvf8kksMMkQ
>
>One way to find out what the URL should be is if you use Firefox to
>install Live Headers and look at what actually passes between the you
>and the site.
>
>When I was using the Telecom JetStream usage page I had to write a
>script to login and scrape the details from the usage page.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Cliff

Here is the path to the logon page

https://www.telstraclear.co.nz/tools.../index.cfm?s=c