Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > OT - Win 7 wish list

OT - Win 7 wish list

Carlos

- Show activity in network icon (systray, same as in Vista)
- Show "internet connected" globe in newtork icon (systray, same as in Vista)
- Allow choosing which OS to restart to in multiboot configurations (click
Orb, Restart and OS selection)
- Allow me to choose the burning speed for ISO files. It is a nice new
feature in Win 7 its ability of burning ISO images to disc but there is no
option for choosing the burning speed. I, and others, like to burn at low
speed in order to ensure that the disc will be read in all drives/players.
- Let me choose which video/audio codecs to use. Win 7 has taken a step
further and now has embedded decoders for Divx/Xvid thus disabling third
party ones that, of course, offer better options (post-processing, subtitling
with external files, etc.). This goes for both WMP12 and Media Center. It is
the same concept as the one for choosing default programs options. If I were
to choose what I DO dislike of Win 7, this would be #1, by and large.
Just my 2 cents.

Carlos

XS11E

Carlos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If I were to choose what I DO dislike of Win 7, this would be #1,
> by and large.

My number one is to get the classic start menu back.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org

R. C. White

Hi, Carlos.

> - Allow choosing which OS to restart to in multiboot configurations (click
> Orb, Restart and OS selection)

YES!!

Now we have to press Restart and then sit here like a trained monkey waiting
for the exact moment to press the down arrow to select the other OS. And if
we miss that moment by a second or two, we have to reboot and start over.
:>(

It has always been this way, of course, but you would think they would have
figured out this simple (it seems to me) procedure by now.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> - Show activity in network icon (systray, same as in Vista)
> - Show "internet connected" globe in newtork icon (systray, same as in
> Vista)
> - Allow choosing which OS to restart to in multiboot configurations (click
> Orb, Restart and OS selection)
> - Allow me to choose the burning speed for ISO files. It is a nice new
> feature in Win 7 its ability of burning ISO images to disc but there is no
> option for choosing the burning speed. I, and others, like to burn at low
> speed in order to ensure that the disc will be read in all drives/players.
> - Let me choose which video/audio codecs to use. Win 7 has taken a step
> further and now has embedded decoders for Divx/Xvid thus disabling third
> party ones that, of course, offer better options (post-processing,
> subtitling
> with external files, etc.). This goes for both WMP12 and Media Center. It
> is
> the same concept as the one for choosing default programs options. If I
> were
> to choose what I DO dislike of Win 7, this would be #1, by and large.
> Just my 2 cents.
>
> Carlos

XS11E

"philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "XS11E" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Carlos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> If I were to choose what I DO dislike of Win 7, this would be
>>> #1, by and large.

>> My number one is to get the classic start menu back.

> Don't know what's planned for Win7 but Vista can be turned back to
> classic fairly easily

Win7 can't, maybe in a later beta....

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org

Carlos

R.C.,
I see you got the picture.
After re-reading my post I noticed that this item was not quite clear.
I just want three clicks within Vista (Orb, Restart, selected OS) so that
the next reboot will take me to the chosen OS, with no text menu during
restart.
That should be a single session valid choice, I mean, on next reboot you
would be presented with the classical OS choice text menu.
A very simple idea, not many lines of code to add, and would make many of us
quite happy.

Carlos

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Carlos.
>
> > - Allow choosing which OS to restart to in multiboot configurations (click
> > Orb, Restart and OS selection)

> YES!!
>
> Now we have to press Restart and then sit here like a trained monkey waiting
> for the exact moment to press the down arrow to select the other OS. And if
> we miss that moment by a second or two, we have to reboot and start over.
> :>(
>
> It has always been this way, of course, but you would think they would have
> figured out this simple (it seems to me) procedure by now.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail 2009 in Win7 Ultimate x64 7000)

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > - Show activity in network icon (systray, same as in Vista)
> > - Show "internet connected" globe in newtork icon (systray, same as in
> > Vista)
> > - Allow choosing which OS to restart to in multiboot configurations (click
> > Orb, Restart and OS selection)
> > - Allow me to choose the burning speed for ISO files. It is a nice new
> > feature in Win 7 its ability of burning ISO images to disc but there is no
> > option for choosing the burning speed. I, and others, like to burn at low
> > speed in order to ensure that the disc will be read in all drives/players.
> > - Let me choose which video/audio codecs to use. Win 7 has taken a step
> > further and now has embedded decoders for Divx/Xvid thus disabling third
> > party ones that, of course, offer better options (post-processing,
> > subtitling
> > with external files, etc.). This goes for both WMP12 and Media Center. It
> > is
> > the same concept as the one for choosing default programs options. If I
> > were
> > to choose what I DO dislike of Win 7, this would be #1, by and large.
> > Just my 2 cents.
> >
> > Carlos

R. C. White

Hi, Carlos.

Most users never multi-boot, so this option would be meaningless or, even
worse, confusing to them. So the "OS menu" should not appear unless the
Administrator specifically asks for it to be offered. The prime audience
probably is us beta testers.

Of course, we can change the default now from the System Properties page,
but it involves far too many clicks to use routinely. And the choice is
(semi-)permanent, until we come back to this page and change it again.
MSConfig also offers a choice of which OS to "set as default", but this is a
bit clumsy, too.

I've often thought of trying to write a batch file to present a menu and
update via BCDEdit, but I haven't yet got A Round Tuit, and I'm not sure I
know how to write it, anyhow.

RC
--
> [...]

>> > no
>> > option for choosing the burning speed. I, and others, like to burn at
>> > low
>> > speed in order to ensure that the disc will be read in all
>> > drives/players.
>> > - Let me choose which video/audio codecs to use. Win 7 has taken a step
>> > further and now has embedded decoders for Divx/Xvid thus disabling
>> > third
>> > party ones that, of course, offer better options (post-processing,
>> > subtitling
>> > with external files, etc.). This goes for both WMP12 and Media Center.
>> > It
>> > is
>> > the same concept as the one for choosing default programs options. If I
>> > were
>> > to choose what I DO dislike of Win 7, this would be #1, by and large.

Juergen Kluth

Hi,
a central tool, which tells me which version is installed for some common
components like

the installer itself
..Net
DX
MDAC
etc.

the system update function modified to store optionally the downloaded files
localy
and poinable to this storage in case of a reinstallment, updated CDs
modified to be compatible like that way

jk

Juergen Kluth

Hi,

a "freeing memory" function,
that frees memory such way, that it faster hibernates, or hibernates at all
on large memory machines

jk