Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: motherboard

Re: motherboard

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

philo wrote:

> "mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> now will my xp operating bootup as normal,or will i have to formatt
>> my hardrive and start again.

> Neither
>
> you will need to perform a repair installation

...and then get Microsoft to authorize it for you. Your XP will see this
as a new installation on a new computer, something that is not allowed
by their EULA. There's a phone number somewhere you'll need to call.

--
-bts

John Holmes

Beauregard T. Shagnasty "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> philo wrote:
>
>> "mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> now will my xp operating bootup as normal,or will i have to formatt
>>> my hardrive and start again.

>> Neither
>>
>> you will need to perform a repair installation

> ..and then get Microsoft to authorize it for you. Your XP will see this
> as a new installation on a new computer, something that is not allowed
> by their EULA. There's a phone number somewhere you'll need to call.

Not neccesarily true. I have done numerous repair installations on new
mainboards without any problems.

--
<snip>

walter

John Holmes wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
>> philo wrote:

>>> Neither
>>>
>>> you will need to perform a repair installation

>> ..and then get Microsoft to authorize it for you. Your XP will see
>> this as a new installation on a new computer, something that is not
>> allowed by their EULA. There's a phone number somewhere you'll need
>> to call.
>>

> Not neccesarily true. I have done numerous repair installations on new
> mainboards without any problems.

As have I. And not just MBs. Decent info here
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php as to what hardware changes will trigger
(re)activation. The page is slightly outdated [11/07] and the author has
since passed away, but I find it still holds true in most cases.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

walter wrote:

> John Holmes wrote:
>> Beauregard T. Shagnasty "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

>>> ..and then get Microsoft to authorize it for you. Your XP will see
>>> this as a new installation on a new computer, something that is not
>>> allowed by their EULA. There's a phone number somewhere you'll need
>>> to call.

>> Not neccesarily true. I have done numerous repair installations on
>> new mainboards without any problems.

Perhaps you didn't wait around for the owners to receive the shutdown
notice 120 days later?

> As have I. And not just MBs. Decent info here
> http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php as to what hardware changes will
> trigger (re)activation. The page is slightly outdated [11/07] and
> the author has since passed away, but I find it still holds true in
> most cases.

The section "Changing the motherboard" seems to cover it. Re-activation
will be required in some cases. Thanks for the confirmation.

--
-bts

walter

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> walter wrote:
>
>> John Holmes wrote:
>>> Beauregard T. Shagnasty "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

>>> Not neccesarily true. I have done numerous repair installations on
>>> new mainboards without any problems.

> Perhaps you didn't wait around for the owners to receive the shutdown
> notice 120 days later?

The activation window pops up on boot after a major repair, and I always
make sure it's activated either via the Internet or by phone before I leave
the scene of the crime. .

>> As have I. And not just MBs. Decent info here
>> http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php as to what hardware changes will
>> trigger (re)activation. The page is slightly outdated [11/07] and
>> the author has since passed away, but I find it still holds true in
>> most cases.

> The section "Changing the motherboard" seems to cover it.
> Re-activation will be required in some cases.

Some, but not all.

> Thanks for the confirmation.

Welcome.