Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > New External Hard Drive

Reply
Thread Tools

New External Hard Drive

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?QW15IEpvaG5zb24=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2005
I just installed a new external hard drive on my one desk top. I have another
desk top and a laptop on my net work. The hard drive works fine on the
computer it is installed. However, the other computers on network can not
access the new hard drive. The other computers can access all the other
drives and folders I have set up with file sharing. This is the second
external hard drive that I have installed on my desk top. The first one works
fine with the laptop and other desk top. The message I get is:

\\Amyscomputer\i is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out
if you have access permissions.

Not enough server storage is availbe to process this command.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Amy =)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?TWFyeQ==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2005
You have to set up the drive for sharing. Right click on it in My Computer
and choose Sharing and Security to set it up. Then you can add the drive to
My Network Places on the other computers.

"Amy Johnson" wrote:

> I just installed a new external hard drive on my one desk top. I have another
> desk top and a laptop on my net work. The hard drive works fine on the
> computer it is installed. However, the other computers on network can not
> access the new hard drive. The other computers can access all the other
> drives and folders I have set up with file sharing. This is the second
> external hard drive that I have installed on my desk top. The first one works
> fine with the laptop and other desk top. The message I get is:
>
> \\Amyscomputer\i is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
> this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out
> if you have access permissions.
>
> Not enough server storage is availbe to process this command.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
>
> Thanks
> Amy =)

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?QW15IEpvaG5zb24=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-09-2005
I have set up the new drive for sharing. I can see it on the lap top but can
not get access. Anything that you or anyone else thing of would be great!!

Thanks Again!!

"Mary" wrote:

> You have to set up the drive for sharing. Right click on it in My Computer
> and choose Sharing and Security to set it up. Then you can add the drive to
> My Network Places on the other computers.
>
> "Amy Johnson" wrote:
>
> > I just installed a new external hard drive on my one desk top. I have another
> > desk top and a laptop on my net work. The hard drive works fine on the
> > computer it is installed. However, the other computers on network can not
> > access the new hard drive. The other computers can access all the other
> > drives and folders I have set up with file sharing. This is the second
> > external hard drive that I have installed on my desk top. The first one works
> > fine with the laptop and other desk top. The message I get is:
> >
> > \\Amyscomputer\i is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
> > this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out
> > if you have access permissions.
> >
> > Not enough server storage is availbe to process this command.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
> >
> > Thanks
> > Amy =)

 
Reply With Quote
 
Malke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-09-2005
Amy Johnson wrote:

> I have set up the new drive for sharing. I can see it on the lap top
> but can not get access. Anything that you or anyone else thing of
> would be great!!
>
> Thanks Again!!
>
> "Mary" wrote:
>
>> You have to set up the drive for sharing. Right click on it in My
>> Computer and choose Sharing and Security to set it up. Then you can
>> add the drive to My Network Places on the other computers.
>>
>> "Amy Johnson" wrote:
>>
>> > I just installed a new external hard drive on my one desk top. I
>> > have another desk top and a laptop on my net work. The hard drive
>> > works fine on the computer it is installed. However, the other
>> > computers on network can not access the new hard drive. The other
>> > computers can access all the other drives and folders I have set up
>> > with file sharing. This is the second external hard drive that I
>> > have installed on my desk top. The first one works fine with the
>> > laptop and other desk top. The message I get is:
>> >
>> > \\Amyscomputer\i is not accessible. You might not have permission
>> > to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this
>> > server to find out if you have access permissions.
>> >
>> > Not enough server storage is availbe to process this command.
>> >
>> > Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Amy =)


Here is information on your error message, credit to MVP Hans-Georg
Michna. Read through all the information before leaping into the
Registry. Got Norton? So here you go:

This error indicates that you are falling foul of the IRPStackSize bug.
The problem is on the machine you are attempting to connect to, not the
machine where you see the error message. On the computer you are
attempting to connect to, check the event viewer for an event ID 2011.

Usual fix : You need to fix a parameter called IRPStackSize

On the computer you are attempting to connect to, Set the IRPStackSize
back to the default (15 ). Perform the following steps:

1. Start regedit.
2. Navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\lanmanserver\parameters.
3. Double-click IRPStackSize (or if this registry setting doesn't
exist, create it with type DWORD and ensure the case is correct).
4. Change the base to decimal, set the value to 15, and click OK.
5. Reboot the computer.

Norton AV is usual suspect for breaking it. There's a KB article about
this, too:

Antivirus Software May Cause Event ID 2011 (Q17707
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;177078

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
files on external hard drive listed under DVD-RW Drive john hamilton Computer Support 2 11-08-2010 07:46 PM
XP Install Issues. Install on old hard drive & new hard drive keepson looping. Hated Computer Support 8 10-08-2010 05:34 PM
making a new drive the boot drive in a 2 hard drive system hi2u Computer Support 3 07-30-2007 08:45 PM
Moving Mozilla files from old hard drive to new hard drive Nate Firefox 1 02-21-2004 09:09 PM



Advertisments