Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > MS MAil can't copact messages

Reply
Thread Tools

MS MAil can't copact messages

 
 
D. Arlington
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2009
MS mail and News can't compact messages because I get an error saying some
other program was using it. How can that be? Nothing else was running but
ZoneAlarm and AVG anti-virus software. How do I get MS Mail to compact
messages? The OS is Vista Home Premium.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Evan Platt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2009
On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 22:38:00 -0600, "D. Arlington" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>MS mail and News can't compact messages because I get an error saying some
>other program was using it.


What was the exact error?

>How can that be? Nothing else was running but ZoneAlarm and AVG anti-virus software. How do I get MS Mail to compact
>messages? The OS is Vista Home Premium.


Likely, something other than ZoneAlarm and AVG was running.

Unless of course, you hit control-alt-delete, and in the Processes
there is ONLY Zone Alarm and AVG running, which I really doubt.

Reboot into safe mode and try.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
VanguardLH
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2009
D. Arlington wrote:

> MS mail and News can't compact messages because I get an error saying some
> other program was using it. How can that be? Nothing else was running but
> ZoneAlarm and AVG anti-virus software. How do I get MS Mail to compact
> messages? The OS is Vista Home Premium.


And your version of Windows is WHAT?

Got any file indexers installed (MS Search, Google Desktop, Copernic)?
 
Reply With Quote
 
D. Arlington
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2009

"Evan Platt" <evan@*******************************> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 22:38:00 -0600, "D. Arlington" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>MS mail and News can't compact messages because I get an error saying some
>>other program was using it.

>
> What was the exact error?


It said MS Mail was being used by another program. I can't bring up the
error again since I don't know how to get it to compact the messages.

>
>>How can that be? Nothing else was running but ZoneAlarm and AVG
>>anti-virus software. How do I get MS Mail to compact
>>messages? The OS is Vista Home Premium.

>
> Likely, something other than ZoneAlarm and AVG was running.


Like what? What uses MS Mail?

>
> Unless of course, you hit control-alt-delete, and in the Processes
> there is ONLY Zone Alarm and AVG running, which I really doubt.
>
> Reboot into safe mode and try.


How do I find the "compact massages" thing since it comes up automatically?
Where is it located?


 
Reply With Quote
 
D. Arlington
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2009

"VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gksfrl$98f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> D. Arlington wrote:
>
>> MS mail and News can't compact messages because I get an error saying
>> some
>> other program was using it. How can that be? Nothing else was running
>> but
>> ZoneAlarm and AVG anti-virus software. How do I get MS Mail to compact
>> messages? *** The OS is Vista Home Premium. ***

>
> And your version of Windows is WHAT?


The OS is Vista Home Premium as stated above.

> Got any file indexers installed (MS Search, Google Desktop, Copernic)?


MS search came with Vista. I don't have the other two.

 
Reply With Quote
 
VanguardLH
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2009
D. Arlington wrote:

> "VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gksfrl$98f$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> D. Arlington wrote:
>>
>>> MS mail and News can't compact messages because I get an error saying
>>> some
>>> other program was using it. How can that be? Nothing else was running
>>> but
>>> ZoneAlarm and AVG anti-virus software. How do I get MS Mail to compact
>>> messages? *** The OS is Vista Home Premium. ***

>>
>> And your version of Windows is WHAT?

>
> The OS is Vista Home Premium as stated above.
>
>> Got any file indexers installed (MS Search, Google Desktop, Copernic)?

>
> MS search came with Vista. I don't have the other two.


Configure MS Search to exclude the folder where Mail saves its files. A
newsgroup that discusses Vista's Mail can tell you where are those
files, like microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail. A Vista group might
also be able to tell you how to keep that folder but control priority
over it so indexing doesn't occur if the files are open for read or
write.
 
Reply With Quote
 
D. Arlington
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-18-2009

"VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gktfsd$cg1$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Configure MS Search to exclude the folder where Mail saves its files. A
> newsgroup that discusses Vista's Mail can tell you where are those
> files, like microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail. A Vista group might
> also be able to tell you how to keep that folder but control priority
> over it so indexing doesn't occur if the files are open for read or
> write.


Thanks.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
There are no more messages on this topic. All messages in this topic may have expired or been deleted Coach 02 Computer Support 1 03-12-2007 03:44 PM
absence of router advertisment messages in reponse to roiuter solicitation messages sonia sainani Software 0 10-20-2006 09:20 AM
i sent 2 messages about double messages monique Computer Support 0 11-27-2004 07:18 PM
will all these messages cause a problem . I am a new subscriber and my computer is downloading 100,000 messages. Will this cause any kind of a problem with my ability to store other items?? Camille White Camille White Computer Support 9 11-08-2004 01:13 AM
Smart media / Copact flash Typ 1 2 3 ? Jim S Digital Photography 1 07-21-2003 05:10 AM



Advertisments