Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to clean a child's soft toy?

How to clean a child's soft toy?

Old Gringo

On Or About This Time And Date In History, John Holmes Stumbled Over
To The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::
> T "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
>> I would like to ask for advice on how to clean a child's soft toy. It
>> is a toy sheep very similar to the one in the centre of this picture.
>>
>> http://flickr.com/photos/52298892@N00/35907612
>>
>> As well a being a little dirty the fur or wool is flattened where it
>> has been played with. I would like to give the woolly coat an as new
>> look. The label says dry clean only however I don't want to dry clean
>> it as the process can leave a small residue that can irritate, not
>> good for a child's toy! Usually I wash the children's toys with
>> bubble bath which is intended to come into contact with skin anyway
>> but I an concerned this will make the red run.
>> Has anyone had any success cleaning something like this?
>> Thanks in advance for all advice.
>>

> Trow the ****er away and buy a new one. (The toy, not the kid)
> HTH

Amen! The ****ing thing is probably laden with life threatening
bacteria from China anyway.

--
Old Gringo
Just West Of Nowhere

Scribner

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 21:52:31 -0000, "T" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I would like to ask for advice on how to clean a child's soft toy. It is a
>toy sheep very similar to the one in the centre of this picture.
>
>http://flickr.com/photos/52298892@N00/35907612
>
>As well a being a little dirty the fur or wool is flattened where it has
>been played with. I would like to give the woolly coat an as new look. The
>label says dry clean only however I don't want to dry clean it as the
>process can leave a small residue that can irritate, not good for a child's
>toy! Usually I wash the children's toys with bubble bath which is intended
>to come into contact with skin anyway but I an concerned this will make the
>red run.
>Has anyone had any success cleaning something like this?
>Thanks in advance for all advice.

http://www.kidsmartliving.com/tebeclalclby.html

Centre Parting

Why not have it dry cleaned and if it actually does irritate, wash it in a
colour-protecting detergent.
I doubt very much that your kids will be allergic to any DC residue.
I think you're being hypochondriacally paranoid - like a lot of
scientifically-ignorant dupes these days.
Get a grip, you woose.
It's not agent orange FGS !
I'm sure if there were actual grounds for fears over DC fluids, people like
you would have made sure that the thing was banned on the slightest of
evidence, by now.
To my knowledge such as it is, there are no studies showing that dry-cleaned
toys are responsible for Autism or mental retardation.

T wrote:
> I would like to ask for advice on how to clean a child's soft toy. It is a
> toy sheep very similar to the one in the centre of this
> picture.
> http://flickr.com/photos/52298892@N00/35907612
>
> As well a being a little dirty the fur or wool is flattened where it
> has been played with. I would like to give the woolly coat an as new
> look. The label says dry clean only however I don't want to dry
> clean it as the process can leave a small residue that can irritate,
> not good for a child's toy! Usually I wash the children's toys with
> bubble bath which is intended to come into contact with skin anyway
> but I an concerned this will make the red run.
> Has anyone had any success cleaning something like this?
> Thanks in advance for all advice.

Keyser Söze

John Holmes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Keyser Söze "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
>> John Holmes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> Keyser Söze "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

>>> A perfect device to clean kids in!

>> I love kids, but I couldn't eat a whole one.
>>

> Depends on how big the kid is.
> http://z.about.com/d/urbanlegends/1/...ng_babies2.jpg

It obviously a young goat <FBG>

--
In individuals, insanity is rare; but in froups, parties,

Esta Bayliss

philo illumined:

> "T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I would like to ask for advice on how to clean a child's soft toy. It is
>> a toy sheep very similar to the one in the centre of this
>> picture. http://flickr.com/photos/52298892@N00/35907612
>>
>> As well a being a little dirty the fur or wool is flattened where it
>> has been played with. I would like to give the woolly coat an as
>> new look. The label says dry clean only however I don't want to dry
>> clean it as the process can leave a small residue that can irritate,
>> not good for a child's toy! Usually I wash the children's toys with
>> bubble bath which is intended to come into contact with skin anyway
>> but I an concerned this will make the red run.
>> Has anyone had any success cleaning something like this?
>> Thanks in advance for all advice.
>>

> Yes,
>
> white bread.
>
> Wipe away the dirt with a piece of white bread.
>
> Just use a piece of some cheap bread such as Wonder bread
> and an old, stale piece will do.
>
> Of course you will want to do it outside or over the kitchen sink,
> then brush off the toy afterwards

What... no butter?

wisdomkiller & pain

Neville Poole wrote:

>> The child doesn't care if it is dirty. The child's immune system
>> doesn't care if it is 'germy' with some good ole germs.

> What, like disease-causing bacteria such as Campylobacter? Perhaps,
> the most common type of food poisoning contracted from Salmonella
> often due to undercooked foods Listeria? What about E Coli 0157 from
> poor hand washing from raw meat and often passed on from not washing
> hands after the toilet - Bacterial spores? Bacteria in a dormant
> (non-active) state - Candida the fungus thrush in babies?
>
> Mmm.

The toy isn't used in a isolation ward where the concentration of
possible harmful bacteria is expected to be high enough.
Of course, not washing hands after touching raw bloody matter or coming
from the loo, is another source of infection - but that misbehavior
should be handled by good upbringing.

Moderate exposure to common, ubiquitous bacteria and other germs, indeed
is said to help prevent later allergies and autoimmune diseases.

Renell Walls

philo enjoined:

> "Esta Bayliss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gksk6k$a78$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> philo illumined:
>>
>>> "T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Yes,
>>>
>>> white bread.
>>>
>>> Wipe away the dirt with a piece of white bread.
>>>
>>> Just use a piece of some cheap bread such as Wonder bread
>>> and an old, stale piece will do.
>>>
>>> Of course you will want to do it outside or over the kitchen sink,
>>> then brush off the toy afterwards

>> What... no butter?

> Nah,
> that would make the toy greasy.
>
> Anyway, the bread method was what my grandmother did
> when she cleaned my teddy bear back in 1953.
>
> It worked !

At least the bear didn't go hungry