Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineOnly' beyond machine.config

error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineOnly' beyond machine.config

AAaron123

I've been trying to create the capability of changing a users password
without knowing the old password nor the answer to the password question
without success!

I thought I had the answer. I would insert a web.config file into a
subfolder so that I could set
requiresQuestionAndAnswer to false in that folder and so be able to reset
the hashed password.

As you probable know I got the error:

Error 2 It is an error to use a section registered as
allowDefinition='MachineOnly' beyond machine.config.

I need this badly so I want to be sure I can't get around this some how.

Is there a way around this?

Do you agree that this approach is not going to work?

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Answer = custom membership provider.

If I get a chance tonight, I will see if I can dig up the custom membership
provider I coded a while back and publish the details on my blog.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, Se, SD, DBA

blog: http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com

| Think outside the box! |
"AAaron123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been trying to create the capability of changing a users password
> without knowing the old password nor the answer to the password question
> without success!
>
> I thought I had the answer. I would insert a web.config file into a
> subfolder so that I could set
> requiresQuestionAndAnswer to false in that folder and so be able to reset
> the hashed password.
>
> As you probable know I got the error:
>
> Error 2 It is an error to use a section registered as
> allowDefinition='MachineOnly' beyond machine.config.
>

> I need this badly so I want to be sure I can't get around this some how.
>
> Is there a way around this?
>
> Do you agree that this approach is not going to work?
>
> Any advice?
>
> Thanks in advance

AAaron123

I found it!
Public Function GetPasswordWithoutAnswer(ByVal i_Username As String) As
String

Return
Membership.Providers("AdminMembershipProvider").Re setPassword(i_Username,
String.Empty)

End Function

The thing I needed was the way to provide a custom provider when using
ResetPassword.

Took too long for such a simple answer!

Thanks

"Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Answer = custom membership provider.
>
> If I get a chance tonight, I will see if I can dig up the custom
> membership provider I coded a while back and publish the details on my
> blog.
>
> --
> Gregory A. Beamer
> MVP; MCP: +I, Se, SD, DBA
>
> blog: http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com

> | Think outside the box! |
> "AAaron123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've been trying to create the capability of changing a users password
>> without knowing the old password nor the answer to the password question
>> without success!
>>
>> I thought I had the answer. I would insert a web.config file into a
>> subfolder so that I could set
>> requiresQuestionAndAnswer to false in that folder and so be able to reset
>> the hashed password.
>>
>> As you probable know I got the error:
>>
>> Error 2 It is an error to use a section registered as
>> allowDefinition='MachineOnly' beyond machine.config.
>>

>> I need this badly so I want to be sure I can't get around this some how.
>>
>> Is there a way around this?
>>
>> Do you agree that this approach is not going to work?
>>
>> Any advice?
>>
>> Thanks in advance

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Everything takes too long until you know how to do it. Then, it is all
simple.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, Se, SD, DBA

Blog:

| Think outside the box! |
"AAaron123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Oe$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I found it!
> Public Function GetPasswordWithoutAnswer(ByVal i_Username As String) As
> String
>
> Return
> Membership.Providers("AdminMembershipProvider").Re setPassword(i_Username,
> String.Empty)
>
> End Function
>

> The thing I needed was the way to provide a custom provider when using
> ResetPassword.
>

> Took too long for such a simple answer!
>

> Thanks
>

> "Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Answer = custom membership provider.
>>
>> If I get a chance tonight, I will see if I can dig up the custom
>> membership provider I coded a while back and publish the details on my
>> blog.
>>
>> --
>> Gregory A. Beamer
>> MVP; MCP: +I, Se, SD, DBA
>>
>> blog: http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com

>> | Think outside the box! |
>> "AAaron123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I've been trying to create the capability of changing a users password
>>> without knowing the old password nor the answer to the password question
>>> without success!
>>>
>>> I thought I had the answer. I would insert a web.config file into a
>>> subfolder so that I could set
>>> requiresQuestionAndAnswer to false in that folder and so be able to
>>> reset the hashed password.
>>>
>>> As you probable know I got the error:
>>>
>>> Error 2 It is an error to use a section registered as
>>> allowDefinition='MachineOnly' beyond machine.config.
>>>

>>> I need this badly so I want to be sure I can't get around this some how.
>>>
>>> Is there a way around this?
>>>
>>> Do you agree that this approach is not going to work?
>>>
>>> Any advice?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance

AAaron123

Thanks for the offer to help