Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > multiprocessing vs. distributed processing

multiprocessing vs. distributed processing

James Mills

I've noticed over the past few weeks lots of questions
asked about multi-processing (including myself).

For those of you new to multi-processing, perhaps this
thread may help you. Some things I want to start off
with to point out are:

"multiprocessing will not always help you get things done faster."

"be aware of I/O bound applications vs. CPU bound"

"multiple CPUs (cores) can compute multiple concurrent expressions -
not read 2 files concurrently"

"in some cases, you may be after distributed processing rather than
multi or parallel processing"

cheers
James

--