Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can't recieve email

Can't recieve email

Kyle

I can send but can't recieve. I use Outlook Express 6. It says recieving
mail 1 of 56 and just hangs there for hours till the server times out. What
can I do?
TIA for any suggestions.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Kyle wrote:

> I can send but can't recieve. I use Outlook Express 6. It says
> recieving mail 1 of 56 and just hangs there for hours till the
> server times out. What can I do? TIA for any suggestions.

I'd start by logging in to your webmail access page, and see if there is
some malformed message waiting in the cue. If so, delete it. OE is known
for not being able to handle messages with messed-up headers.

Other possibilities, of course, are borked server settings in Outhouse
Distress.

--
-bts

Evan Platt

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 20:36:56 -0800, "Kyle"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I can send but can't recieve. I use Outlook Express 6. It says recieving
>mail 1 of 56 and just hangs there for hours till the server times out. What
>can I do?
>TIA for any suggestions.

Log into the webmail for your mail provider, find the message that's
maybe spam or too large, and delete it.

Evan Platt

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 00:33:35 -0500, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>OE is known for not being able to handle messages

Yep. Ain't that the truth.

VanguardLH

Evan Platt wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 00:33:35 -0500, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>OE is known for not being able to handle messages

> Yep. Ain't that the truth.

Actually I've found more often that the server can't handle the
malformed record for the item in the mailbox. OE might not be able to
retrieve but even using a shell account to use 'mail' (a command-line
e-mail client) won't work because it is the server that cannot access or
proffer the item - but you can delete it to get your mailbox working
again with e-mail clients. Tis why the suggestion to use the webmail
interface to the account to delete the corrupted item gets e-mail
working again regardless of which e-mail client is used.

Using the webmail interface, sometimes you can simply look at each item
in your Inbox folder to see when an error occurs to point at which item
is corrupted and the server cannot proffer it even in the webmail
interface. If the webmail interface won't let you look at your Inbox
items, maybe you can still manipulate them. If using POP, and because
POP only has the concept of a mailbox and not of any folders within it,
and rather than deleting all e-mails to get e-mail working again, use
the webmail interface to create a user folder and move all items in the
Inbox folder to the user folder. The Inbox folder in the webmail
interface is the mailbox that the POP client will see. Add one or a
couple items at a time back from the user folder back into the Inbox
folder using the webmail interface. Retry polling using your e-mail
client, whatever it is. Eventually you'll hit the bad item and can
simply delete that one without losing the rest. You could do similar if
using IMAP but the folder where you move the items must not be
subscribed by your e-mail client (i.e., you're trying to hide the items
and then bring them back into view to your e-mail client at one or a
couple at a time until the mail poll fails to know which one was the
corrupted one).

Everytime I've had a problem with the server not being able to proffer
an e-mail (after establishing a successful mail session with the client)
whether using OE, Tbird, Outlook, Windows Live Mail, etc., got fixed by
using the webmail interface to move the items out of the Inbox (deleting
them all if unimportant or moving elsewhere and bring back one at a
time) got the e-mail working again. Not many users now have access to
shell accounts. After moving to a national ISP and now with the
monopolistic broadband cable provider in my current area, I don't get
shell accounts to use a command-line mail client; however, so far, the
webmail agent has been sufficient in nearly most cases and only a couple
times over many years have I needed to get the ISP to reset my account
(by deleting all mailbox/Inbox items).

Recieve email in rails Pragash Mr. Ruby 1 07-23-2008 04:50 AM
recieve email bufferOverflow Java 7 07-25-2007 04:54 PM
can't recieve email angela cogswell Computer Support 3 02-25-2006 10:52 PM
Can't recieve email obo Computer Support 3 09-21-2004 03:42 AM
Using SMTP/server-side email capabilities to recieve, process, and return user's materials? Ken Fine ASP General 1 01-26-2004 08:11 PM

Advertisments