Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Recycle Bin

Recycle Bin

TheStoneCrusher

When I try to empty my recycle bin I receive a msg that there is a folder
there that is not empty and it can't empty. It indicates that there are
80 items in there. I open it and it is empty!!! I did the same thing in
safe mode with the same results. The properties does not show how much is
in the bin. Can someone help me?
Luke

Evan Platt

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 12:26:02 -0500, "TheStoneCrusher"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>When I try to empty my recycle bin I receive a msg that there is a folder
>there that is not empty and it can't empty. It indicates that there are
>80 items in there. I open it and it is empty!!! I did the same thing in
>safe mode with the same results. The properties does not show how much is
>in the bin. Can someone help me?

Assuming you're using Windows... A google search shows a few hints:

Go to: Start/Run/CMD and type in: rd /s /q c:\recycled [reboot].
And/or run this edit: Restore recycle bin
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs...recyclebin.reg

Or try crap cleaner (ccleaner).

VanguardLH

TheStoneCrusher wrote:

> When I try to empty my recycle bin I receive a msg that there is a folder
> there that is not empty and it can't empty. It indicates that there are
> 80 items in there. I open it and it is empty!!! I did the same thing in
> safe mode with the same results. The properties does not show how much is
> in the bin. Can someone help me?
> Luke

Ccleaner
http://www.ccleaner.com/

Useful for more than cleaning out the Recycle Bin.

Just be leery of using it (or any other registry cleaner) to clean out
the registry. While it can save backups before committing its proposed
changes, that requires Windows is still bootable for you to get back in
so you can restore from its registry backups. Review the registry
cleanup changes BEFORE you commit them. If YOU don't understand them,
don't do the cleanup. YOU are the final authority regarding the
registry cleanup. If you don't understand the registry, you have no
business in cleaning it.

TheStoneCrusher

Did that with a large file. It deleted the large file and is still the
same.

Thanx
Luke
"Buffalo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gknsee$94i$(E-Mail Removed)...

> TheStoneCrusher wrote:
>> When I try to empty my recycle bin I receive a msg that there is a
>> folder there that is not empty and it can't empty. It indicates
>> that there are 80 items in there. I open it and it is empty!!! I
>> did the same thing in safe mode with the same results. The
>> properties does not show how much is in the bin. Can someone help me?
>> Luke

> Try making a small txt file and then delete it to the Recycled Bin.
> Now try to empty the Recycled Bin again. Sometimes this works.

TheStoneCrusher

"SJP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "TheStoneCrusher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:496f71ae$0$20294$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> When I try to empty my recycle bin I receive a msg that there is a folder
>> there that is not empty and it can't empty. It indicates that there
>> are 80 items in there. I open it and it is empty!!! I did the same
>> thing in safe mode with the same results. The properties does not show
>> how much is in the bin. Can someone help me?
>> Luke
>>

> What Operating system?

TheStoneCrusher

Sorry! XP Pro SP2

"SJP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "TheStoneCrusher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:496f71ae$0$20294$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> When I try to empty my recycle bin I receive a msg that there is a folder
>> there that is not empty and it can't empty. It indicates that there
>> are 80 items in there. I open it and it is empty!!! I did the same
>> thing in safe mode with the same results. The properties does not show
>> how much is in the bin. Can someone help me?
>> Luke
>>

> What Operating system?

Buffalo

TheStoneCrusher wrote:
> Did that with a large file. It deleted the large file and is still
> the same.
>
> Thanx
> Luke
> "Buffalo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gknsee$94i$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> TheStoneCrusher wrote:
>>> When I try to empty my recycle bin I receive a msg that there is a
>>> folder there that is not empty and it can't empty. It indicates
>>> that there are 80 items in there. I open it and it is empty!!! I
>>> did the same thing in safe mode with the same results. The
>>> properties does not show how much is in the bin. Can someone help
>>> me? Luke

>> Try making a small txt file and then delete it to the Recycled Bin.
>> Now try to empty the Recycled Bin again. Sometimes this works.

Thought it was worth a try. It sometimes works and it is so easy to do.
Thanks for trying. Hopfully you can use some of the other suggestions.
Have you tried rebooting yet?

TheStoneCrusher

Thank you Evan,

After man permutations I still receive a msg saying that the file is
missing.

I am not sure what I should do with the other suggestion. I saw the
registry file but am not sure what to do.

Luke

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 12:26:02 -0500, "TheStoneCrusher"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>When I try to empty my recycle bin I receive a msg that there is a folder
>>there that is not empty and it can't empty. It indicates that there
>>are
>>80 items in there. I open it and it is empty!!! I did the same thing in
>>safe mode with the same results. The properties does not show how much is
>>in the bin. Can someone help me?

> Assuming you're using Windows... A google search shows a few hints:
>
> Go to: Start/Run/CMD and type in: rd /s /q c:\recycled [reboot].
> And/or run this edit: Restore recycle bin
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs...recyclebin.reg
>
> Or try crap cleaner (ccleaner).

TheStoneCrusher

Thanks, tried the file and it cleaned everything, err.... almost everything
except the file that is screwing up the recycle bin. It said there was a
corrupt folder and to run chkdsk. I will shortly.
Luke

"VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gko598$ar4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> TheStoneCrusher wrote:
>
>> When I try to empty my recycle bin I receive a msg that there is a folder
>> there that is not empty and it can't empty. It indicates that there
>> are
>> 80 items in there. I open it and it is empty!!! I did the same thing in
>> safe mode with the same results. The properties does not show how much
>> is
>> in the bin. Can someone help me?
>> Luke

> Ccleaner
> http://www.ccleaner.com/
>
> Useful for more than cleaning out the Recycle Bin.
>
> Just be leery of using it (or any other registry cleaner) to clean out
> the registry. While it can save backups before committing its proposed
> changes, that requires Windows is still bootable for you to get back in
> so you can restore from its registry backups. Review the registry
> cleanup changes BEFORE you commit them. If YOU don't understand them,
> don't do the cleanup. YOU are the final authority regarding the
> registry cleanup. If you don't understand the registry, you have no
> business in cleaning it.

chuckcar

"TheStoneCrusher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:496f71ae$0$20294$(E-Mail Removed):

> When I try to empty my recycle bin I receive a msg that there is a
> folder there that is not empty and it can't empty. It indicates
> that there are 80 items in there. I open it and it is empty!!! I did
> the same thing in safe mode with the same results. The properties does
> not show how much is in the bin. Can someone help me?
> Luke

Run scandisk and automatically fix errors. A scanreg/fix in a command
prompt might do it to (it *will* reboot afterwards, possibly without any
warning - safely though). Most likely the cause is a corrupted ini file
for the bin.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Where do i find the recycle bin? XP PRO with norton protected bin Quiz Time Computer Support 6 06-27-2004 11:13 AM
Folder stuck in Recycle Bin Ivan MCSE 2 08-02-2003 03:08 AM
Re: nortons recycle bin? °Mike° Computer Support 0 06-24-2003 05:39 PM
Re: nortons recycle bin? Šaz ©. Computer Support 0 06-24-2003 04:34 PM

Advertisments