Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Small PC repair RIPOFF!!!

Small PC repair RIPOFF!!!

Sir To You

A somewhat computer illiterate relative just had their 5 year old dell
PC repaired (celeron, 20 gig hdd , 512mb mem, windows xp). This pc is
not worth much, they would be lucky to get $100 really.

The repair bill came to over $900!! Probably it was mostly for labour.
I just could not believe it when they told me.

I recently spent $800 on an upgrade box (45nm cpu, 1gig mem, 320gb
hdd) which kicks arse. You just have to make sure the components are
good quality which is probably where some amateurs would have probs.

But, for a $900 repair bill they are still stuck with a huffing old
box which will still need replacing soon.

JohnO

On Jan 15, 1:41*pm, Sir To You <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> A somewhat computer illiterate relative just had their 5 year old dell
> PC repaired (celeron, 20 gig hdd , 512mb mem, windows xp). *This pc is
> not worth much, they would be lucky to get $100 really.
>
> The repair bill came to over $900!! Probably it was mostly for labour.
> I just could not believe it when they told me.
>
> I recently spent $800 on an upgrade box (45nm cpu, 1gig mem, 320gb
> hdd) which kicks arse. You just have to make sure the components are
> good quality which is probably where some amateurs would have probs.
>
> But, for a $900 repair bill they are still stuck with a huffing old
> box which will still need replacing soon.

There are laws against this sort of thing.

Who did it?

Richard

Sir To You wrote:
> A somewhat computer illiterate relative just had their 5 year old dell
> PC repaired (celeron, 20 gig hdd , 512mb mem, windows xp). This pc is
> not worth much, they would be lucky to get $100 really.
>
> The repair bill came to over $900!! Probably it was mostly for labour.
> I just could not believe it when they told me.
>
> I recently spent $800 on an upgrade box (45nm cpu, 1gig mem, 320gb
> hdd) which kicks arse. You just have to make sure the components are
> good quality which is probably where some amateurs would have probs.
>
> But, for a $900 repair bill they are still stuck with a huffing old
> box which will still need replacing soon.

Go on, tell us the FULL story..

E. Scrooge

"Sir To You" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>A somewhat computer illiterate relative just had their 5 year old dell
> PC repaired (celeron, 20 gig hdd , 512mb mem, windows xp). This pc is
> not worth much, they would be lucky to get $100 really.
>
> The repair bill came to over $900!! Probably it was mostly for labour.
> I just could not believe it when they told me.
>
> I recently spent $800 on an upgrade box (45nm cpu, 1gig mem, 320gb
> hdd) which kicks arse. You just have to make sure the components are
> good quality which is probably where some amateurs would have probs.
>
> But, for a $900 repair bill they are still stuck with a huffing old
> box which will still need replacing soon.

An outfit like that does themselves no favours at all.
I'd be naming the bastards. That's what I did with a Dunedin outfit that
charged plenty for a so called repair on an old HP PC belonging to somome I
know. The PC was just useless when she got it back. The oufit went out of
business not long after.

The bastards who ripped your relative off should've given a rough price for
fixing the old PC, and what it would be worth in working order (which would
be stuff all). Then offer the price of a new budget PC which wouldn't be
far off the price of fixing the old PC.

The other option would be to get a similar PC that works for a good cheap
deal.

If you were dealing with an Insurance company on your damaged car. They'd
tell you it's a write off as it would cost more to fix than it's worth.
Respectable PC repairers should be doing much the same.

E. Scrooge

Sir To You

> Go on, tell us the FULL story..

That is difficult cos the wife dealt with the pc repair guy, and I
only got this from the husband. They live in a different island to me,
otherwise I would have happily helped them out.

The facts I know..the initial repair estimate was $200, the final bill
was over $900 and the PC was taken away on at least 2 occasions, and
it is still not working very well for them.

I just couldn't believe it though, they paid $900 to fix a $100 PC.
Why didn't the pc guy just tell the wife to get a new machine????

Sir To You

On Jan 15, 4:14*pm, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (sling replaces
*)> wrote:
> "Sir To You" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> >A somewhat computer illiterate relative just had their 5 year old dell
> > PC repaired (celeron, 20 gig hdd , 512mb mem, windows xp). *This pc is
> > not worth much, they would be lucky to get $100 really.

> > The repair bill came to over $900!! Probably it was mostly for labour.
> > I just could not believe it when they told me.

> > I recently spent $800 on an upgrade box (45nm cpu, 1gig mem, 320gb
> > hdd) which kicks arse. You just have to make sure the components are
> > good quality which is probably where some amateurs would have probs.

> > But, for a $900 repair bill they are still stuck with a huffing old
> > box which will still need replacing soon.

> An outfit like that does themselves no favours at all.
> I'd be naming the bastards. *That's what I did with a Dunedin outfit that
> charged plenty for a so called repair on an old HP PC belonging to somome I
> know. *The PC was just useless when she got it back. *The oufit went out of
> business not long after.
>
> The bastards who ripped your relative off should've given a rough price for
> fixing the old PC, and what it would be worth in working order (which would
> be stuff all). *Then offer the price of a new budget PC which wouldn't be
> far off the price of fixing the old PC.
>
> The other option would be to get a similar PC that works for a good cheap
> deal.
>
> If you were dealing with an Insurance company on your damaged car. *They'd
> tell you it's a write off as it would cost more to fix than it's worth.
> Respectable PC repairers should be doing much the same.
>
> E. Scrooge

I dunno who repaired the pc, they are in the christchurch area though.

Sir To You

On Jan 15, 5:34*pm, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Sir To You wrote:
> > A somewhat computer illiterate relative just had their 5 year old dell
> > PC repaired (celeron, 20 gig hdd , 512mb mem, windows xp). *This pc is
> > not worth much, they would be lucky to get $100 really.

> > The repair bill came to over $900!! Probably it was mostly for labour.
> > I just could not believe it when they told me.

> > I recently spent $800 on an upgrade box (45nm cpu, 1gig mem, 320gb
> > hdd) which kicks arse. You just have to make sure the components are
> > good quality which is probably where some amateurs would have probs.

> > But, for a $900 repair bill they are still stuck with a huffing old
> > box which will still need replacing soon.

> Name them so we know who to avoid and who to *not* recommend.
> --
> A.

Not sure who made the repairs, don't really know what they did
either. It is possible they did work a lot of hours trying to fix
this.

Maybe initially they thought it was a quick job? then , it became
larger and cost a lot of hours work. I could see how this could happen
but at some point he should have said --BUY A NEW PC...

Sir To You

On Jan 15, 6:58*pm, Bobs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Sir To You wrote:
> > A somewhat computer illiterate relative just had their 5 year old dell
> > PC repaired (celeron, 20 gig hdd , 512mb mem, windows xp). *This pc is
> > not worth much, they would be lucky to get $100 really.

> > The repair bill came to over $900!! Probably it was mostly for labour.
> > I just could not believe it when they told me.

> > I recently spent $800 on an upgrade box (45nm cpu, 1gig mem, 320gb
> > hdd) which kicks arse. You just have to make sure the components are
> > good quality which is probably where some amateurs would have probs.

> > But, for a $900 repair bill they are still stuck with a huffing old
> > box which will still need replacing soon.

> Did they ask for a quote first?
>
> Anyway, what was the company? It may be legal, but it is unethical.
>
> --
> What do Michael Jackson and Santa Claus have in common?
>
> They both leave little boys' rooms with an empty sack

they got told $200 to fix....but, then the pc was still not working
and they took it away again and even now it is still not right
according to the husband.

I told him just to buy a new pc and spend no more on their aging hunk
of a pc.

Richard

Sir To You wrote:
>> Go on, tell us the FULL story..

> That is difficult cos the wife dealt with the pc repair guy, and I
> only got this from the husband. They live in a different island to me,
> otherwise I would have happily helped them out.
>
> The facts I know..the initial repair estimate was $200, the final bill
> was over $900 and the PC was taken away on at least 2 occasions, and
> it is still not working very well for them.
>
> I just couldn't believe it though, they paid $900 to fix a $100 PC.
> Why didn't the pc guy just tell the wife to get a new machine????

A friend who repaired TVs said that people would bring in old junk and
want it repaired, and when he told them its not worth it (21" CRT TV -
come on...) they got all defensive because they paid so much more for it
when it was new.

Some people are ignorant to what things being worthless means.

Robin Halligan

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 16:41:23 -0800 (PST), Sir To You wrote:

> A somewhat computer illiterate relative just had their 5 year old dell
> PC repaired (celeron, 20 gig hdd , 512mb mem, windows xp). This pc is
> not worth much, they would be lucky to get $100 really.
>
> The repair bill came to over $900!! Probably it was mostly for labour.
> I just could not believe it when they told me.
>
> I recently spent $800 on an upgrade box (45nm cpu, 1gig mem, 320gb
> hdd) which kicks arse. You just have to make sure the components are
> good quality which is probably where some amateurs would have probs.
>
> But, for a $900 repair bill they are still stuck with a huffing old
> box which will still need replacing soon.

Let us know what the repairs where what exactly does the bill say they did?