Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > New Website to Critique

New Website to Critique

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Adrian wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>> Regarding Verdana, there are reasons not to use that. (It doesn't
>> exist on my computer, for example - not a Windows PC.)
>> http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/verdana.html

> Is your advice to use arial, or perhaps universe? I would
> be pleased to know.

I normally use the following in my style sheets:

body {
font-family: "Trebuchet MS", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;
font-size: 100%;

-bts

Bergamot

Adrian wrote:
> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gl4q73$104$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/verdana.html

> Is your advice to use arial, or perhaps universe?

How about font-family:sans-serif;
and let the visitor see their preferred default font?

Any specific font assignment depends on the design, but most times the
generic family is as suitable as any other.

--
Berg

Adrian

"Bergamot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Adrian wrote:
>> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:gl4q73$104$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/verdana.html

>> Is your advice to use arial, or perhaps universe?

> How about font-family:sans-serif;
> and let the visitor see their preferred default font?
>
> Any specific font assignment depends on the design, but most times the
> generic family is as suitable as any other.
>
> --
> Berg

True, but there aren't many fonts that are very clear on a screen.
When I write software applications verdana is my favourite, but
that doesn't seem to be a good choice vor websites.
Adrian.

Adrian

news:gl4t1g$ig$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Adrian wrote:
>
>> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>>> Regarding Verdana, there are reasons not to use that. (It doesn't
>>> exist on my computer, for example - not a Windows PC.)
>>> http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/verdana.html

>> Is your advice to use arial, or perhaps universe? I would
>> be pleased to know.

> I normally use the following in my style sheets:
>
> body {
> font-family: "Trebuchet MS", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;
> font-size: 100%;

> -bts
> -Friends don't let friends drive Windows

Thanks, in future I will use one of those.
Adrian.

Neredbojias

On 19 Jan 2009, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> They are both relabeled paint thinner. Now, where are the Doritos?

>> What are you, a sloe gin man? -Er, fish. As for Doritos, I used to
>> like them but the last few times I bought them they tasted like
>> flounder feces.
>> Been goin' with white cheddar popcorn lately, and it's healthier,
>> too.

> All I ever keep around here is gin and vodka and the stuff it takes
> to make gin-of-vodka tonics and bloody marys.

That's pretty hardcore. Gin is _distilled_; bourbon and scotch are
_crafted_. I don't know what vodka is but wouldn't be surprised if it
were an element of some Bolshevik plot designed to undermine American
capitalism. Perhaps you should have been born a sturgeon...

--
Neredbojias
http://www.neredbojias.org/

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Adrian wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>> I normally use the following in my style sheets:
>>
>> body {
>> font-family: "Trebuchet MS", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;
>> font-size: 100%;

> Thanks, in future I will use one of those.

Don't use 'one' of them; place the whole line in your stylesheet so
visitors who don't have one will get the next fall-back.

--
-bts

Neredbojias

On 20 Jan 2009, "Adrian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Any specific font assignment depends on the design, but most times
>> the generic family is as suitable as any other.
>>
>> --
>> Berg

> True, but there aren't many fonts that are very clear on a screen.
> When I write software applications verdana is my favourite, but
> that doesn't seem to be a good choice vor websites.
> Adrian.

Bah, don't be a noodle! Verdana is fine as long as you don't _misuse_
it (i.e. by making it too small, etc.)

I've read many web pages delineating objections to Verdana, and it's
like _anything_ else: the font _can be_ screwed-up if the proper care
isn't taken with its usage.

--

Neredbojias wrote:

> On 20 Jan 2009, "Adrian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> True, but there aren't many fonts that are very clear on a screen.
>> When I write software applications verdana is my favourite, but that
>> doesn't seem to be a good choice vor websites. Adrian.

> Bah, don't be a noodle! Verdana is fine as long as you don't
> _misuse_ it (i.e. by making it too small, etc.)

Correctamundo. Too many authors choose Verdana, then set the font size
at 80% or some other ridiculous small size - because Verdana looks too
large in their browsers! Well, yeah. This of course penalizes users
who don't have it, who then see their standard-sized default font in
micro-size.

Verdana is an overly-large font when compared to all the other widely
used ones.

--
-bts

Neredbojias

On 20 Jan 2009, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Neredbojias wrote:
>
>> On 20 Jan 2009, "Adrian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> True, but there aren't many fonts that are very clear on a screen.
>>> When I write software applications verdana is my favourite, but
>>> that doesn't seem to be a good choice vor websites. Adrian.

>> Bah, don't be a noodle! Verdana is fine as long as you don't
>> _misuse_ it (i.e. by making it too small, etc.)

> Correctamundo. Too many authors choose Verdana, then set the font
> size at 80% or some other ridiculous small size - because Verdana
> looks too large in their browsers! Well, yeah. This of course
> penalizes users who don't have it, who then see their standard-sized
> default font in micro-size.

Absolutely true. Ergo, if you use Verdana, you must want a
larger-appearing font that's also okay at normal size (-for those who
don't have the font.) And as you intimated, don't reduce its size.

> Verdana is an overly-large font when compared to all the other widely
> used ones.

That doesn't mean it's unusable.

--
Neredbojias
http://www.neredbojias.org/
http://www.neredbojias.net/
The road to Heaven is paved with bad intentions.

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2009-01-20, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Verdana is an overly-large font when compared to all the other widely
> used ones.

Verdana is only a little larger that Helvetica or Arial.
Helvetica/Arial is much closer in size to Verdana than it is to
Times Roman.

A page in Times with font-size: 100% is usually too small for me
to read easily. Helvetica or Verdana is comfortable.

I prefer to leave the font for blocks of text unspecified, so that
it is at the user's preferred size and font.

Author: