Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Cannot see other computers on Network

Cannot see other computers on Network

=?Utf-8?B?U3VlIFI=?=

I have a Linksys wireless network with two desktops and a laptop, all with
wireless cards. The Win XP desktop can see the laptop and 98 desktop. The
laptop cannot see anything. The WIN 98 desktop can only see the WIn XP
desktop but cannot access it. Here is the configurations:

WIN XP Pro Desktop
IP Address=192.168.1.103
Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway = 192.168.1.1

Desktop cannot ping laptop
Desktop can ping WIN 98 desktop

WIN XP Pro Laptop
IP Address = 192.168.1.101
Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0

Laptop can ping WIN XP Desktop
Cannot see other computers from laptop
Laptop can ping WIN 98 desktop

WIN 98 Desktop
IP Address = 192.168.1.104
Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0

WIN 98 desktop can see WIN XP Desktop but it asks for a password to browse
Cannot see laptop Can ping WIN XP desktop and laptop

All systems have file and print sharing enabled

I need to be able to have my laptop access both the desktops and printer. I
am new to Windows wireless networking but have a lot of expertise on Novell
Networks.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sue

Doug Sherman [MVP]

Try:

1. On the XP Pro machines create a user account with the same name and
password used to log onto the Win98 machine. If you do not use a password
to log onto the Win98 machine, create one. If you use Family logon for
Win98, get rid of it. Make Client for Microsoft networks your primary
logon.

2. On the laptop right click on the wireless Local Area Connection and
select Properties. Highlight TCP/IP and click the Properties button. Click
the Advanced button - WINS tab. Make sure that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is
Enabled.

3. On the laptop, if you are using SP2, make sure the exception for file
and printer sharing is enabled on the firewall. If you are pre SP2, disable
the firewall.

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

news:(E-Mail Removed)...