Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Keyboard problem

Keyboard problem

Mara

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 14:49:31 GMT, Aardvark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 09:43:51 -0500, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>
>> (along with grocers apostrophe's)

>There must be a few grocer's who visit the new's group's.

"Some witty person in rec.arts.sf.composition (I forget who) called
them feral apostrophes. Untamed, unregulated, they roam the wastes of
the English language and pop up where lea'st expected."

--
Goodbye, Army, dear old Army of the Potomac. Tattered and torn,
you are crowned with the victor's laurels at last.
-- Elisha Hunt Rhodes, Col. 2nd R. I., July 15, 1865

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Mara wrote:

> Aardvark wrote:
>> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>>> (along with grocers apostrophe's)

>> There must be a few grocer's who visit the new's group's.

> "Some witty person in rec.arts.sf.composition (I forget who) called
> them feral apostrophes. Untamed, unregulated, they roam the wastes of
> the English language and pop up where lea'st expected."

Cute.

Googling Groups for "feral apostrophes" produces several hundred hits.

--
-bts
-Friends don't let friend's drive Window's

wisdomkiller & pain

Fergal wrote:

> "Emrys Davies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My friend's e-mail shows an * in place of the £ sign and the ' sign.
>> Can you asist please.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Emrys Davies.
>>

> Set Keyboard to correct location

Wrong. Charset is the key.
The OP used Outbug Excuse, with no charset declared in the headers.
Therefore I saw two rectangles instead of the pound sign until manually
changing to iso8859-15.

wisdomkiller & pain

Fergal wrote:

>> Do you think it might increase the chances of you getting any help
>> here just a little bit if you mentioned what operating system, update
>> status, language, keyboard make/model your "friend" is having trouble
>> with?
>>
>> Do ya, hmmmm?
>>

> Do you have a lot of time on your hands Numbnuts?

Glass house <-> stones
Keyboard is totally irrelevant, it's the charset (even if undeclared)
which makes a difference.

> Why would you need all that information to answer a "stock" question??
> The ****in' mind boggles!

We would need the headers and "source text" of the e-mail, and of course
the name and version of the program it was written with.

keyboard problem annette collins Computer Support 8 03-20-2009 01:49 PM
keyboard problem? JV ASP .Net 3 06-20-2005 06:06 PM
Keyboard error or no keyboard present??? Bud Light Computer Support 2 01-22-2005 04:00 AM
Possible Mozilla keyboard problem Daniel Prince Firefox 1 11-28-2004 06:02 AM
Toshiba Satellite 4100XCDT Keyboard problem nemo Computer Support 6 10-29-2003 05:05 PM

Advertisments