Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: disk wipe---DOD short wipe versus DOD long wipe

Re: disk wipe---DOD short wipe versus DOD long wipe

John O

> to at any cost) and not even law enforcement would attempt such recovery
> unless there was a very specific, very compelling reason to do so.

In a couple weeks I get to hang out with guys who work at one of the FBI
forensics labs. As you say Barry, even they rarely send drives out for
recovery (they contract out the procedure) after a wipe because of the
expense and because they can usually find other evidence at far less expense
and time.....most criminals just aren't smart enough to cover *all* their
tracks.

-We recently wrote an IT forensics course...very cool stuff.

-John O