Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: Diagnostic Utilities

Re: Diagnostic Utilities

Bill Eitner

Jeffrey Perron wrote:
> Hi all, I just recently passed my A+ certification, thank God its over.
> I am looking for diagnostic utilities that I can use for PC and network
> repair. Could any one suggest a list of these? Free or pay, I don't care,
> but looking for some descent ones. I have one called CPUZ that has some nice
> feature.
> Thanks, Jeff

By the time one earns an A+ and is job-ready
he should have built up his bag of tricks already.

I recommend you read the Tweak Guides for both XP
and Vista *completely* and familiarize yourself
with the tools therein.

http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html

smackedass

> I recommend you read the Tweak Guides for both XP
> and Vista *completely* and familiarize yourself
> with the tools therein.
>
> http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html

Great references! Never saw 'em before!

Tanks, dude!

sa

Bill Eitner

smackedass wrote:

>> I recommend you read the Tweak Guides for both XP
>> and Vista *completely* and familiarize yourself
>> with the tools therein.
>>
>> http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html

> Great references! Never saw 'em before!
>
> Tanks, dude!
>
> sa

You're welcome.

And as for the Ultimate Boot CD, it sounds good but
it doesn't really work all that well. The programs
all seem to have issues; they're old, or they're
not fully functional, or they're just plain funky
in one way or another.

What I think is a good tool is Bart PE. Once you
have a nice bag of tricks (utility programs that
you really know how to use), you build a custom
Bart PE installation and put it on a CD and a flash
drive. That will serve you well.

Patty

On Tue, 06 May 2008 18:22:08 -0700, Bill Eitner wrote:

> smackedass wrote:
>>
>>> I recommend you read the Tweak Guides for both XP
>>> and Vista *completely* and familiarize yourself
>>> with the tools therein.
>>>
>>> http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html

>> Great references! Never saw 'em before!
>>
>> Tanks, dude!
>>
>> sa

> You're welcome.
>
> And as for the Ultimate Boot CD, it sounds good but
> it doesn't really work all that well. The programs
> all seem to have issues; they're old, or they're
> not fully functional, or they're just plain funky
> in one way or another.
>
> What I think is a good tool is Bart PE. Once you
> have a nice bag of tricks (utility programs that
> you really know how to use), you build a custom
> Bart PE installation and put it on a CD and a flash
> drive. That will serve you well.

I have a question about Bart PE. If I use my version of Windows making a
Bart PE disc, will I then be able to use it on anyone's computer? Does it
pretty much work like some of those Linux OSes you can load on a CD and run
on any computer just to try it out?

Thanks!

Patty

Bill Eitner

Patty wrote:

>>> Great references! Never saw 'em before!
>>>
>>> Tanks, dude!
>>>
>>> sa

>> You're welcome.
>>
>> And as for the Ultimate Boot CD, it sounds good but
>> it doesn't really work all that well. The programs
>> all seem to have issues; they're old, or they're
>> not fully functional, or they're just plain funky
>> in one way or another.
>>
>> What I think is a good tool is Bart PE. Once you
>> have a nice bag of tricks (utility programs that
>> you really know how to use), you build a custom
>> Bart PE installation and put it on a CD and a flash
>> drive. That will serve you well.

> I have a question about Bart PE. If I use my version of Windows making a
> Bart PE disc, will I then be able to use it on anyone's computer? Does it
> pretty much work like some of those Linux OSes you can load on a CD and run
> on any computer just to try it out?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Patty

Yes, it's a live CD--that's the benefit--the computer can have
major disk problems and still work with the live CD.