Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > book

cupofjava1961@gmail.com

Can someone tell me what is the best book out there for A+
certification?
Is it the Sybex book or the Mike Meyers book?

Thanks

Bill Eitner

> Can someone tell me what is the best book out there for A+
> certification?
> Is it the Sybex book or the Mike Meyers book?
>

> Thanks

I vote Mike Myers.

John O

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can someone tell me what is the best book out there for A+
> certification?
> Is it the Sybex book or the Mike Meyers book?

Meyers, easy choice. If Sybex has done a 2nd Edition it's worth a look, but
the 1st Edition was crap.

-John O

in Technicolor®

"John O" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsBBHj.314$(E-Mail Removed). ..

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Can someone tell me what is the best book out there for A+
>> certification?
>> Is it the Sybex book or the Mike Meyers book?
>>

> Meyers, easy choice. If Sybex has done a 2nd Edition it's worth a look,
> but the 1st Edition was crap.
>
> -John O

I own and used both books, but the Meyer's was the best.

Sean Cleary

On Apr 10, 8:03 am, in Technicolor® <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "John O" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> newsBBHj.314$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>

> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Can someone tell me what is the best book out there for A+
> >> certification?
> >> Is it the Sybex book or the Mike Meyers book?

> > Meyers, easy choice. If Sybex has done a 2nd Edition it's worth a look,
> > but the 1st Edition was crap.

> > -John O

> I own and used both books, but the Meyer's was the best.

Myers book is very complete.

The book comes with sample tests on a CD. These tests are full of
typographical errors (typos), questions where there is not a correct
answer, and other signs of poorly checked and/or hasty creation. This
leads me to wonder if the exam questions are as good as needed. I
would hate to use the practice exam to learn something wrong, but this
is likely the case.

Also his book... be sure to go to his website for the errata. Not as
bad as the practice exams.

There are other books out there, more than the writers you cited. But
I have not used them yet, just ordered them yesterday. So I can not
say anything about them.

Sean

Sean Cleary

On May 14, 9:32 am, Sean Cleary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Apr 10, 8:03 am, in Technicolor® <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > "John O" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >newsBBHj.314$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> > > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > >news:(E-Mail Removed)....

> > > Meyers, easy choice. If Sybex has done a 2nd Edition it's worth a look,
> > > but the 1st Edition was crap.

> > > -John O

> > I own and used both books, but the Meyer's was the best.

> Myers book is very complete.
>
> The book comes with sample tests on a CD. These tests are full of
> typographical errors (typos), questions where there is not a correct
> answer, and other signs of poorly checked and/or hasty creation. This
> leads me to wonder if the exam questions are as good as needed. I
> would hate to use the practice exam to learn something wrong, but this
> is likely the case.
>
> Also his book... be sure to go to his website for the errata. Not as
> bad as the practice exams.
>
> There are other books out there, more than the writers you cited. But
> I have not used them yet, just ordered them yesterday. So I can not
> say anything about them.
>
> Sean

good definitions:
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/SLI.html
The book whose cd made me run for those definitions:
Exam Cram by charles J. Brooks
definitely has things in it not covered by Mike's book.
Sean

Sean Cleary

On May 16, 6:38 am, Sean Cleary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On May 14, 9:32 am,Sean Cleary<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > On Apr 10, 8:03 am, in Technicolor® <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > "John O" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > >newsBBHj.314$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> > > I own and used both books, but the Meyer's was the best.

> > Myers book is very complete.

> > The book comes with sample tests on a CD. These tests are full of
> > typographical errors (typos), questions where there is not a correct
> > answer, and other signs of poorly checked and/or hasty creation. This
> > leads me to wonder if the exam questions are as good as needed. I
> > would hate to use the practice exam to learn something wrong, but this
> > is likely the case.

> > Also his book... be sure to go to his website for the errata. Not as
> > bad as the practice exams.

> > There are other books out there, more than the writers you cited. But
> > I have not used them yet, just ordered them yesterday. So I can not
> > say anything about them.

> > Sean

> good definitions:http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/SLI.html
> The book whose cd made me run for those definitions:
> Exam Cram by charles J. Brooks
> definitely has things in it not covered by Mike's book.

I just got a new 'tia book: Comtia A+ 2006 In Depth by Jean Andrews
Phd. This is too think to read before the exam, but seems to have more
data than Mikes book.

Remember though, it does not matter if the book matches reality (as
Jean's book is rumored to do), so much as it must match the test.

Sean

Sean Cleary

On May 19, 6:38 am, Sean Cleary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On May 16, 6:38 am, Sean Cleary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Myers book is very complete.

> > > The book comes with sample tests on a CD. These tests are full of
> > > typographical errors (typos), questions where there is not a correct
> > > answer, and other signs of poorly checked and/or hasty creation. This
> > > leads me to wonder if the exam questions are as good as needed. I
> > > would hate to use the practice exam to learn something wrong, but this
> > > is likely the case.

> > > Also his book... be sure to go to his website for the errata. Not as
> > > bad as the practice exams.

> > > There are other books out there, more than the writers you cited. But
> > > I have not used them yet, just ordered them yesterday. So I can not
> > > say anything about them.

> > > Sean

> > good definitions:http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/SLI.html
> > The book whose cd made me run for those definitions:
> > Exam Cram by charles J. Brooks
> > definitely has things in it not covered by Mike's book.

> I just got a new 'tia book: Comtia A+ 2006 In Depth by Jean Andrews
> Phd. This is too think to read before the exam, but seems to have more
> data than Mikes book.
>
> Remember though, it does not matter if the book matches reality (as
> Jean's book is rumored to do), so much as it must match the test.
>
> Sean

I passed!
I owe it to Calahans CEPT, Mike's book, Mikes tests, 2 purchased on
line tests that were worse than Mikes for quality but useful, Much on
line searching for a better understanding of key terms, especially
those with a HUH! factor, having a Win XP system or two in house (the
home system was disappointing), another practice test found in the
mail that helped confirm some of Mikes stuff, Jean's book which is
better than Mikes book for real world stuff, and luck. I
overprepaired, I faced 90 questions with 20 not solidly known, I faced
questions with 2 good answers and questions with no good answers, and
questions I did not understand any of the answers. I had just enough
caffeine in my blood to enhance IQ without making me overly jumpy. I
took my time.

The boxes are checked for questions that you want to review, non
checked questions are not easily accessible.

Good luck on yours, and I will be looking for the next cert/test
sometime soon, as well as looking for a job based on this test/cert.

Sean

Sean Cleary

On May 24, 12:56 pm, Sean Cleary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On May 19, 6:38 am, Sean Cleary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > good definitions:http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/SLI.html
> > > The book whose cd made me run for those definitions:
> > > Exam Cram by charles J. Brooks
> > > definitely has things in it not covered by Mike's book.

> > I just got a new 'tia book: Comtia A+ 2006 In Depth by Jean Andrews
> > Phd. This is too think to read before the exam, but seems to have more
> > data than Mikes book.

> > Remember though, it does not matter if the book matches reality (as
> > Jean's book is rumored to do), so much as it must match the test.

> > Sean

> I passed!
> I owe it to Calahans CEPT, Mike's book, Mikes tests, 2 purchased on
> line tests that were worse than Mikes for quality but useful, Much on
> line searching for a better understanding of key terms, especially
> those with a HUH! factor, having a Win XP system or two in house (the
> home system was disappointing), another practice test found in the
> mail that helped confirm some of Mikes stuff, Jean's book which is
> better than Mikes book for real world stuff, and luck. I
> overprepaired, I faced 90 questions with 20 not solidly known, I faced
> questions with 2 good answers and questions with no good answers, and
> questions I did not understand any of the answers. I had just enough
> caffeine in my blood to enhance IQ without making me overly jumpy. I
> took my time.
>
> The boxes are checked for questions that you want to review, non
> checked questions are not easily accessible.
>
> Good luck on yours, and I will be looking for the next cert/test
> sometime soon, as well as looking for a job based on this test/cert.
>
> Sean

Yes the exam cram questions were useful, some sent me to the internet
to get a more indepth understanding of the subject.

Sean

Sean Cleary

On May 24, 1:07 pm, Sean Cleary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On May 24, 12:56 pm, Sean Cleary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > I just got a new 'tia book: Comtia A+ 2006 In Depth by Jean Andrews
> > > Phd. This is too think to read before the exam, but seems to have more
> > > data than Mikes book.

> > > Remember though, it does not matter if the book matches reality (as
> > > Jean's book is rumored to do), so much as it must match the test.

> > > Sean

> > I passed!
> > I owe it to Calahans CEPT, Mike's book, Mikes tests, 2 purchased on
> > line tests that were worse than Mikes for quality but useful, Much on
> > line searching for a better understanding of key terms, especially
> > those with a HUH! factor, having a Win XP system or two in house (the
> > home system was disappointing), another practice test found in the
> > mail that helped confirm some of Mikes stuff, Jean's book which is
> > better than Mikes book for real world stuff, and luck. I
> > overprepaired, I faced 90 questions with 20 not solidly known, I faced
> > questions with 2 good answers and questions with no good answers, and
> > questions I did not understand any of the answers. I had just enough
> > caffeine in my blood to enhance IQ without making me overly jumpy. I
> > took my time.

> > The boxes are checked for questions that you want to review, non
> > checked questions are not easily accessible.

> > Good luck on yours, and I will be looking for the next cert/test
> > sometime soon, as well as looking for a job based on this test/cert.

> > Sean

> Yes the exam cram questions were useful, some sent me to the internet
> to get a more indepth understanding of the subject.
>
> Sean

I never got more into the trancender stuff except for one practice
test. Their stuff looks very good, with good explanations on the
questions. I would have bought their stuff if I had more time.

Sean