Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Long Pause After POST???

Long Pause After POST???

Dave Hardenbrook

What does it mean when you start up a system, and after POST and
detection of drives, it seems to hang on the POST screen for two or
three minutes before finally booting Windows? I am currently working on
two systems that are both doing this(!) Is it a sign that the Mobo is
not long for this world?

Dave

Gerard Bok

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 00:17:12 -0700, Dave Hardenbrook
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What does it mean when you start up a system, and after POST and
>detection of drives, it seems to hang on the POST screen for two or
>three minutes before finally booting Windows? I am currently working on
>two systems that are both doing this(!) Is it a sign that the Mobo is
>not long for this world?

Could be. But more likely, your systems are waiting for a
non-responding DHCP server.
To find out: (temporary) assign a static IP address.

An other --but rather similar-- reason would be, that you have
some nasty software installed that attempts to contact something
on the web prior to any boot.
(Use a sniffer, like Wireshark, to find out.)

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

smackedass

Could be a dying hard drive? Could be coincidence that it is happening on
two systems?

My first thought.

sa

"Dave Hardenbrook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) .net...
> What does it mean when you start up a system, and after POST and
> detection of drives, it seems to hang on the POST screen for two or
> three minutes before finally booting Windows? I am currently working on
> two systems that are both doing this(!) Is it a sign that the Mobo is
> not long for this world?
>
> Dave

Sean Cleary

On Apr 8, 7:23 pm, Barry Watzman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Every time I've seen this, it was caused by a USB device that the
> computer was trying to boot from. Try disconnecting all usb devices and
> see if that fixes it. In some cases, moving the USB device to a
> different port fixed the problem
>
> Dave Hardenbrook wrote:
> > What does it mean when you start up a system, and after POST and
> > detection of drives, it seems to hang on the POST screen for two or
> > three minutes before finally booting Windows? I am currently working on
> > two systems that are both doing this(!) Is it a sign that the Mobo is
> > not long for this world?

> > Dave

I have seen this with a computer that had wireless mouse and keyboard.
It would boot normally with std mouse and keyboard and took several
minutes to do so in its natural configuration

Sean