Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > XP Pro SP1--One--Torrent?

XP Pro SP1--One--Torrent?

Colin Barnhorst

You don't buy the software. You buy a license to use it. While microsoft
does in fact provide for download of some Windows versions now, they do not
provide a torrent. Why do you insist it be a torrent, anyway? MS uses an
FTP transfer, especially for files larger than 1GB and the transfers are
pretty fast.

"smackedass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>> One word: monopoly

> I think that whether or not Microsoft is a monopoly (I don't believe that
> it is, Mac, Linux and Novell are available) is inconsequential. My point
> is, once you pay for their software, and have a tag to prove it, the
> software ought to be available for the download. Monopoly or not.
>
> sa

smackedass

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> You don't buy the software. You buy a license to use it. While microsoft
> does in fact provide for download of some Windows versions now, they do
> not provide a torrent. Why do you insist it be a torrent, anyway? MS
> uses an FTP transfer, especially for files larger than 1GB and the
> transfers are pretty fast.

I'm not demanding a torrent. I'm pleading for the ability to do something
that any enterprise interested in the proper implementation of good customer
service ought to. Whether you buy the software or buy the license, there's
no good reason why the software shouldn't be available, if you own the
license. Then, during the installation, when they ask for the code, you
enter the legal code; this should be the gauntlet to navigate to make the
copy legal. Then, you should have to authenticate it, to register the code,
and then everybody's happy. But apparently, you think that that's too much
to ask for. I do not.

sa

Colin Barnhorst

I don't know why XP was never set up the way Office is and the way Vista has
been, but it just wasn't. In any case, you should address the concern to MS
since no one here is in any position to change things. I agree with the
idea that XP should be downloadable just like Office, but it generally isn't
unless you have a subscription to MSDN or some other program like it.

> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> You don't buy the software. You buy a license to use it. While
>> microsoft does in fact provide for download of some Windows versions now,
>> they do not provide a torrent. Why do you insist it be a torrent,
>> anyway? MS uses an FTP transfer, especially for files larger than 1GB
>> and the transfers are pretty fast.

> I'm not demanding a torrent. I'm pleading for the ability to do something
> that any enterprise interested in the proper implementation of good
> customer service ought to. Whether you buy the software or buy the
> license, there's no good reason why the software shouldn't be available,
> if you own the license. Then, during the installation, when they ask for
> the code, you enter the legal code; this should be the gauntlet to
> navigate to make the copy legal. Then, you should have to authenticate
> it, to register the code, and then everybody's happy. But apparently, you
> think that that's too much to ask for. I do not.
>
> sa

Gotde T Shirt

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 18:16:25 GMT, smackedass wrote:

> I have a bootable SP2 disk, but not
> the original, whatever you'd choose to call it.

..
..

> I have the stupid 25-character label! Why not the software to
> match?!?

..
..
..
....so what prevents you from using your SP2 disk with your customer's
product key?

As a bonus, that will save you waiting for the SP2 update to download and
install.

smackedass

I agree with the
> idea that XP should be downloadable just like Office, but it generally
> isn't unless you have a subscription to MSDN or some other program like
> it.

Thank you.

sa

Unknown

You would think otherwise if you were running a software business.
"smackedass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>> One word: monopoly

> I think that whether or not Microsoft is a monopoly (I don't believe that
> it is, Mac, Linux and Novell are available) is inconsequential. My point
> is, once you pay for their software, and have a tag to prove it, the
> software ought to be available for the download. Monopoly or not.
>
> sa

smackedass

"Unknown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0wDAj.4901$(E-Mail Removed)...
> You would think otherwise if you were running a software business.

The only thing that I can think of is that the easier it is to obtain the
software, the more of it will be ATTEMPTED to be hijacked. However, if the
licensing scheme and the authentication were idiot-proofed--and we know that
that's possible, because they're doing it with Office 2007, and I guess with
Vista--it wouldn't matter.

As opposed to how Windows '95 was practically an invitation for hijack, but
they know how to avoid that now.

sa

smackedass

news:47d31c58$0$24089$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you have the COA, product key and part number, you can call Microsoft
> (it's hard to find the right number, but not impossible) and they will
> send you new media for a shipping charge. I've replaced several Office
> CDs that way for about $5.

That's reasonable. I wouldn't expect to pay $0 for a replacement disk, I
will reply to Barry's other post, below.

sa

smackedass

> Why does it have to be SP1? The key in question will work with the
> original release (SP0), SP1 or SP2.
>
> But, conversely, it matters a lot whether it's retail or OEM, which you
> didn't even address.

Barry,

I could swear, that the XP Pro SP2 disk that I have is NOT an OEM copy; to
be sure, I'm not positive, but when it prompts the user to enter the
25-character key, that means that it's off the shelf, right?

And, I'll pay closer attention next time, but I could have sworn that my
Home Edition SP1 vs. SP2 disks only worked with tags that were identified as
SP1 and SP2, respectively.

sa