Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: windows won't shut down

Re: windows won't shut down

smackedass

> Does anyone have a good way to trace down what process might be keeping
> windows from shutting down? ...etc...

Kevin,

My guess is that you are new to this. Please be forewarned, there are many
people, already warmed up to this forum, who will goof on you a bit. Caveat
emptor.

My analysis, based upon your rather scant (what type of computer? which
operating system? how much RAM? were there any recent changes, etc., etc.)
introduction, is, that it could be anything.

In the best-case-scenario, it could be a matter of wiping out some spyware.
In the worst-case-scenario, you're probably off getting a new computer,
rather than fixing this one.

Is your data (documents, spreadsheets, tax info, music, pictures, etc.)
backed up, onto another media? This is key.

Please provide more info. You may receive some help, here. But not until
more detail is provided.

smackedass

Mister

Try msconfig and choose the Diagnostic Startup and see if that helps.
Then check each startup item one by one after each successful startup
and shutdown and see which startup program is causing the problem.
If everything checks out OK, then it could be something you are
running during the course of using the PC.
In this case, you will need to weigh your options. Is a complete
reload less time consuming then going through the process of finding
out what the cause is. If however, you want this to be a learning
experience, then diagnosing the problem is the best choice.

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 08:12:18 -0500, Kevin
<(E-Mail Removed)4ward.com> wrote:

>Sorry about that, I guess I am guilty of what I myself often complain about
>customers doing all the time.
>
>No, I'm not new to this and I really wasn't wanting someone to solve the
>problem for me in this case. I'd like to figure it out myself actually - I
>do PC type troubleshooting for others on a part time basis but since this
>is my computer there is no time crunch. I was just hoping that maybe
>someone either knew a good procedure or even some internals software that
>might help identify a process that is returning false to Windows request to
>shutdown, or is erroring somehow.
>
>Here's the specifics:
>
>- I'm using XP Pro with all the latest updates.
>- Dell Inspiron 600m laptop
>- 1.5 megs RAM
>- I can rule out spyware problems most likely but will check more closely.
>I check for it all the time with Spybot, AdAware, Spyware Blaster, Comodo
>Firewall, Avast virus, etc. and have gotten very good at detecting and
>removing any of that stuff from my or others systems.
>- No hardware changes, but lots of software changes all the time. I am a
>developer so I load and remove lots of software all the time. It possibly
>could be some of this stuff causing the problem
>- If I had to pick what I most likely suspect to be the problem it would be
>Norton Ghost just seems like a bit of a flaky piece of bohemouth software
>like most of Symantec stuff. But I definitely don't know that is causing
>the problem.
>- Would also suspect possibly one of my versions of Delphi (programming
>language)
>- Recently added Network Magic, but the problem started before that.
>
>I can try starting and stopping different combinations of programs and try
>to narrow it down. That might be the best way to start. I was just hoping
>that someone might have something specific to solving this type of problem.
>
>Thanks!!
>
>Kevin
>
>On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 12:37:50 GMT, smackedass wrote:
>>> Does anyone have a good way to trace down what process might be keeping
>>> windows from shutting down? ...etc...

>> Kevin,
>>
>> My guess is that you are new to this. Please be forewarned, there are many
>> people, already warmed up to this forum, who will goof on you a bit. Caveat
>> emptor.
>>
>> My analysis, based upon your rather scant (what type of computer? which
>> operating system? how much RAM? were there any recent changes, etc., etc.)
>> introduction, is, that it could be anything.
>>
>> In the best-case-scenario, it could be a matter of wiping out some spyware.
>> In the worst-case-scenario, you're probably off getting a new computer,
>> rather than fixing this one.
>>
>> Is your data (documents, spreadsheets, tax info, music, pictures, etc.)
>> backed up, onto another media? This is key.
>>
>> Please provide more info. You may receive some help, here. But not until
> [...]

in Technicolor®

With tongue-in-cheek he said "You may want to upgrade your RAM from 1.5
Megs".

"Kevin" <(E-Mail Removed)4ward.com> wrote in message
news:1vd4489c3izj5$.18olbs1u9rsr7$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> [...]

>> My guess is that you are new to this. Please be forewarned, there are
>> many
>> people, already warmed up to this forum, who will goof on you a bit.
>> Caveat
>> emptor.
>>
>> My analysis, based upon your rather scant (what type of computer? which
>> operating system? how much RAM? were there any recent changes, etc.,
>> etc.)
>> introduction, is, that it could be anything.
>>
>> In the best-case-scenario, it could be a matter of wiping out some
>> spyware.
>> In the worst-case-scenario, you're probably off getting a new computer,
>> rather than fixing this one.
>>
>> Is your data (documents, spreadsheets, tax info, music, pictures, etc.)
>> backed up, onto another media? This is key.
>>
>> Please provide more info. You may receive some help, here. But not

John O

I have no good ideas, but what about running a registry cleaner? I hear both
good and bad, but a modest one should prune away some junk, and my guess is
that your system has a pretty big registry.

Also, maybe try Alt-Tab before shutting down. I've had apps hiding in the
shadows.

Finally, open task manager and start killing processes. Maybe you'll get
lucky and find one that's preventing shutdown.

What does Spybot say about BHOs?

Are there any BIOS updates for that machine? I think it (I have the same
machine) is at A16, IIRC.

-John O