Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: ac adapter and wattage for notebook computer

Re: ac adapter and wattage for notebook computer

G.G. Willikers

Barry Watzman wrote:
> It's unlikely to be dangerous. The power supply should shut down if an
> attempt is made to draw too much power (the alternative would be to
> overheat to the point of being a fire hazard, but I'll assume it's a UL
> certified supply). However, the only time the laptop would draw it's
> max load would be if it was doing EVERYTHING at once .... charging the
> battery, running a worst case CPU load, burning an optical media,
> running a max load peripheral on every USB port, accessing the hard
> drive with a worst case seek pattern .... all at once. The reality is
> that most laptops draw far less than their rated power requirement (like
> half), AND most power supplies can put out more than their rated load
> (at least 10% to 25% more). So while it's not a good idea ... the
> supply may run hot ... it's not truly dangerous, either.

And I will still stand behind my advice, with limited info.

--
The RIGHT REVEREND G.G. WILLIKERS
(formerly) Monsignor Boddom