Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: Laptop graphics problem

Re: Laptop graphics problem

smackedass

,
> Hi - I have been given a laptop that displays vertical lines on the screen
> immediately it powers on. It will only start in safe mode...

Lizzie, hmm this is interesting, at least it didn't cost you anything, it's
not your main computer, and it's more something that you can play around
with, right? If it only starts in safe mode, there could very likely be a
chronic hardware problem. Very possibly the mobo...

>and the lines are there and they are there when connected to an external

monitor.

Again, esp. because the external VGA port does the same thing, could very
well be the mobo...

>I have run a hardware check from bootable CD and lines are displayed with
>certain colours.

Some laptops, most Dells, also have an onboard diagnostic program that can
be reached from the boot menu. Dell's tests the graphics left-right,
top-bottom, every which way, and it might be worthwhile to try this, if
possible.

>Can I be sure the graphics card is faulty (onboard graphics) and could I
>use an external video card to check this
>http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=155181 I haven't got one of these but
>thought it might be useful in my tool kit.

It's good to know that this gadget exists; I don't know how this will
actually help you troubleshoot the problem, because if it does work, it
doesn't mean that (in the worst-case scenario) that the mobo won't need to
be replaced. And, in the best case scenario, you'll have to use an external
monitor in order to use the laptop, which defeats the chief purpose of
having a laptop.

My own admitted point of ignorance here, is, is the graphics card integrated
(probably is)? If it isn't, and it you think it's worth the time and
aggravation to crack the case, deal with 6,000 different screws, and then
deal with matters, it might be worth your while. Personally, I don't think
that it is.

Best Wishes,

smackedass

Tom Miller

> My own admitted point of ignorance here, is, is the graphics card
> integrated (probably is)? If it isn't, and it you think it's worth the
> time and aggravation to crack the case, deal with 6,000 different screws,
> and then deal with matters, it might be worth your while.

I would use the manufacturers diagnostic tools even if you have to download
them from the website. If you can backup all the user data on the HD I
would consider re-formatting the HD and doing a clean re-install. Depending
on the os, windows has some wizards that will allow you to export all the
user specific settings/data.

The bars on the screen can often be caused by a badly configured video card.
Try the losed resolution settings you can find from the desktop.

Hope this helps,
Tom

--
Be well, do good work, and keep in touch® (from
http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/ ) The hardest ethical challenge: Do