Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Unexpected Question from a client...

Unexpected Question from a client...

Dave Hardenbrook

I got a question from a client that I had never considered before:
She is going on a long trip and asked me, "What can I do to keep my
computer from dying from lack of use?" My instinctive response was that
there is no danger of this, but then I thought of the times clients had
"bequeathed" me their old systems, which then lay around for months, and
then when I used it to test a component or something, I found that the
system had developed a bad IDE controller or some other issue.

So I'm asking if there is a danger of a computer "rotting away" from
long periods of non-use, and what can be done to prevent it?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave Hardenbrook

In article <Hm%3j.49398$(E-Mail Removed) >, "JohnO"
<johno@@&%heathkit##.com> says...
> Shouldn't be a problem in a controlled environment. Schools have trouble
> over the summer up here (Michigan) because they don't have air conditioning
> in many rooms, and the humidity cycles cause corrosion.

Well, that's the thing -- This is my most "long distance" client who
lives in a hut in a tropical third-world country where there's no
central heating or A/C and humidity is a major issue. (Sorry -- I
should have mentioned that in my initial post.)

Dave

JohnO

"Dave Hardenbrook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> In article <Hm%3j.49398$(E-Mail Removed) >, "JohnO"
> <johno@@&%heathkit##.com> says...
>> Shouldn't be a problem in a controlled environment. Schools have trouble
>> over the summer up here (Michigan) because they don't have air
>> conditioning
>> in many rooms, and the humidity cycles cause corrosion.

> Well, that's the thing -- This is my most "long distance" client who
> lives in a hut in a tropical third-world country where there's no
> central heating or A/C and humidity is a major issue. (Sorry -- I
> should have mentioned that in my initial post.)

If you can get the PC to an air conditioned space, let it sit for a day or
two. Pack it in a tightly sealed plastic bag but toss a handful of new or
recharged dessicant packets in first. Then store it wherever. Otherwise,
there probably is no good answer.

-John O

Jonathan

"JohnO" <johno@@&%heathkit##.com> wrote in message
news:tSb4j.74692$(E-Mail Removed). net...

> "Dave Hardenbrook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> > In article <Hm%3j.49398$(E-Mail Removed) >, "JohnO"
> > <johno@@&%heathkit##.com> says...
> >> Shouldn't be a problem in a controlled environment. Schools have

trouble
> >> over the summer up here (Michigan) because they don't have air
> >> conditioning
> >> in many rooms, and the humidity cycles cause corrosion.

> > Well, that's the thing -- This is my most "long distance" client who
> > lives in a hut in a tropical third-world country where there's no
> > central heating or A/C and humidity is a major issue. (Sorry -- I
> > should have mentioned that in my initial post.)
> >

> If you can get the PC to an air conditioned space, let it sit for a day or
> two. Pack it in a tightly sealed plastic bag but toss a handful of new or
> recharged dessicant packets in first. Then store it wherever. Otherwise,
> there probably is no good answer.
>
> -John O

I was thinking that if you could run a de-humidifier in the room. That
might help. Humidity is the issue. But, John O has a good idea to.

Jonathan