Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > help How do i down grade xp to ME

help How do i down grade xp to ME

trope

On Oct 21, 9:23 am, jan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a Dell Dimension 8100 with WIN XP and i want to down grade it to
> WIN ME ..
> How do i got about doing this task....
>
> I have copy of Win ME and Win XP on hand..
>
> thanks
> ALLL

While you are at it you might just as well add AOL and make the job
complete.

Patty

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 13:09:11 GMT, smackedass wrote:

> If I were jan, I'd much more concentrate on finding a decent machine, that
> can run at least XP, rather than downgrade the OS, to ME, of all
> possibilities! This approach is downright counter-intuitive, to any person
> who is interested in doing things the best way possible. And this again
> demonstrates the disparity between what the A+ cert training does, and what
> it should do., I recently spoke to someone who is going for his cert, and
> he asked me about a question about the "token ring" topology. I couldn't
> believe it; who CARES about token ring, it is obsolete, was never any good
> to begin with! On the other hand, I'm certain that there are no questions
> about the practicality of downgrading a computer from XP to ME, when, at
> this point in time, there's probably an XP capable box sitting on someone's
> curb.

While I don't know much about the Dell 8100 (I have a Dell 4100 that I'm
running Linux on), I did have Windows XP Pro on a Compaq Deskpro that had a
600MHz Pentium 3. It ran XP just fine, I saw no real problems with it.
Granted it wasn't the fastest kid on the block and I never tried to use it
for gaming. It did have 512MB RAM on it, perhaps that's Jan's biggest
problem with XP and her Dell, not enough RAM. Btw, I have a friend with an
older Dell 2350 (came with XP, 1.8 GHz Pentium 4 and 256MB RAM). He
remarked to me one day that it had gotten slower and slower and he could
barely use it. He was able to upgrade the RAM to 1GB for a small cost and
now he says he no longer needs a new computer. His Dell just flies and
does everything he needs it to do.

Patty