Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > CD Audio Disk Read Problem

CD Audio Disk Read Problem

smackedass

Hello again,

Not only am I stumped as to the cause of this problem, but I'm also stumped
as to how to frame a question to do a Google search...

OS: Windows XP

My client cannot listen to, or rip, songs from audio CDs.

There are songs that are stored on the HD that can be listened to.

Have tried Real Player and Windows Media Player. When you slip a disk into
the drawer, the songs are initially "seen", but not fully recognized. With
Real Player, the message that appears is something to the effect of "Please
Insert an Audio Disk".

Windows Media Player, the message is something to the effect of, "No
supported file types are recognized."

Again, the songs that are already stored to the HD are able to be listened
to from either Real Player and/or Windows Media Player.

I have tried different audio disks.

I have tried a different CD drive.

I have tried a different data cable.

I have tried a different power cable (that connects to the CD drive).

I have tried using the CD drive as a Master and as Cable Select.

The CD is able to read a home-made data CD; it is also able to read, and
install an application from, an installable application CD.

What's different? I have recently done a full XP HE SP2 re-install on this
computer, just shortly before the client became aware of the problem. I've
also added another 1G of RAM.

This just doesn't make any bloody sense.

HAAAYLP!

smackedass

Zac

Sounds like a hardware problem to me, probably a setting. Did you check the
device properties to make sure the "Enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM
device" box is checked? If it is already checked, try uninstalling the
device, cleaning out the registry with a regcleaner utility, and
reinstalling the device.

Good luck.

Zac

"smackedass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Hello again,
>
> Not only am I stumped as to the cause of this problem, but I'm also
> stumped as to how to frame a question to do a Google search...
>
> OS: Windows XP
>
> My client cannot listen to, or rip, songs from audio CDs.
>
> There are songs that are stored on the HD that can be listened to.
>
> Have tried Real Player and Windows Media Player. When you slip a disk
> into the drawer, the songs are initially "seen", but not fully recognized.
> With Real Player, the message that appears is something to the effect of
> "Please Insert an Audio Disk".
>
> Windows Media Player, the message is something to the effect of, "No
> supported file types are recognized."
>
> Again, the songs that are already stored to the HD are able to be listened
> to from either Real Player and/or Windows Media Player.
>
> I have tried different audio disks.
>
> I have tried a different CD drive.
>
> I have tried a different data cable.
>
> I have tried a different power cable (that connects to the CD drive).
>
> I have tried using the CD drive as a Master and as Cable Select.
>
> The CD is able to read a home-made data CD; it is also able to read, and
> install an application from, an installable application CD.
>
> What's different? I have recently done a full XP HE SP2 re-install on
> this computer, just shortly before the client became aware of the problem.
> I've also added another 1G of RAM.
>
> This just doesn't make any bloody sense.
>
> HAAAYLP!
>
> smackedass

Mister

Try this article for a possible answer.

Windows XP Media Player Headaches: My CD player will not play CD
music.
http://tech.yahoo.com/gd/windows-xp-...cd-music-/3185

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 20:42:56 GMT, "smackedass"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello again,
>
>Not only am I stumped as to the cause of this problem, but I'm also stumped
>as to how to frame a question to do a Google search...
>
>OS: Windows XP
>
>My client cannot listen to, or rip, songs from audio CDs.
>
>There are songs that are stored on the HD that can be listened to.
>
>Have tried Real Player and Windows Media Player. When you slip a disk into
>the drawer, the songs are initially "seen", but not fully recognized. With
>Real Player, the message that appears is something to the effect of "Please
>Insert an Audio Disk".
>
>Windows Media Player, the message is something to the effect of, "No
>supported file types are recognized."
>
>Again, the songs that are already stored to the HD are able to be listened
>to from either Real Player and/or Windows Media Player.
>
>I have tried different audio disks.
>
>I have tried a different CD drive.
>
>I have tried a different data cable.
>
>I have tried a different power cable (that connects to the CD drive).
>
>I have tried using the CD drive as a Master and as Cable Select.
>
>The CD is able to read a home-made data CD; it is also able to read, and
>install an application from, an installable application CD.
>
>What's different? I have recently done a full XP HE SP2 re-install on this
>computer, just shortly before the client became aware of the problem. I've
>also added another 1G of RAM.
>
>This just doesn't make any bloody sense.
>
>HAAAYLP!
>
>smackedass

Paul

Zac wrote:
> Sounds like a hardware problem to me, probably a setting. Did you check the
> device properties to make sure the "Enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM
> device" box is checked? If it is already checked, try uninstalling the
> device, cleaning out the registry with a regcleaner utility, and
> reinstalling the device.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Zac

Further to that, sound comes from a CD two ways.

If you connect an audio cable from the back of the CDROM drive,
to the CD audio header on the motherboard (or the sound card),
that is an analog connection. The CD player uses its own digital
to analog converter, to make the analog signal. The cable has
left and right audio (stereo), and the motherboard or audio card
has a four pin connector to pick up the signal from the CD drive.

The alternate method of playing audio from a CD, is digital. The
tracks are read as data, and stream across the IDE (or SATA) cable
that connects the drive to the computer. The Device Manager property
Zac mentions above, is what enables this "Digital Audio Extraction"
or DAE. To make the song come out of the speakers, the digital samples
only need to be sent to the digital to analog converter on the
sound card.

I'm not really sure, how the applications figure out what is going
on. Like how a cd player application handles the two cases, or whether
it has to do any extra work.

Paul

Mister

smackedass,

Any luck with this?

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello again,
>
>Not only am I stumped as to the cause of this problem, but I'm also stumped
>as to how to frame a question to do a Google search...
>
>OS: Windows XP
>
>My client cannot listen to, or rip, songs from audio CDs.
>
>There are songs that are stored on the HD that can be listened to.
>
>Have tried Real Player and Windows Media Player. When you slip a disk into
>the drawer, the songs are initially "seen", but not fully recognized. With
>Real Player, the message that appears is something to the effect of "Please
>Insert an Audio Disk".
>
>Windows Media Player, the message is something to the effect of, "No
>supported file types are recognized."
>
>Again, the songs that are already stored to the HD are able to be listened
>to from either Real Player and/or Windows Media Player.
>
>I have tried different audio disks.
>
>I have tried a different CD drive.
>
>I have tried a different data cable.
>
>I have tried a different power cable (that connects to the CD drive).
>
>I have tried using the CD drive as a Master and as Cable Select.
>
>The CD is able to read a home-made data CD; it is also able to read, and
>install an application from, an installable application CD.
>
>What's different? I have recently done a full XP HE SP2 re-install on this
>computer, just shortly before the client became aware of the problem. I've
>also added another 1G of RAM.
>
>This just doesn't make any bloody sense.
>
>HAAAYLP!
>
>smackedass

smackedass

> smackedass,
>
> Any luck with this?

I won't get to see my customer til Saturday. I must say, I don't have a
great feeling about it; the link that you sent actually looks like the most
likely solution, but it's one of those things that don't make any sense to
just happen out of the blue. On the other hand, she does have 2 kids that
are always on the computer, so anything could have gotten poked around with.

Thanks to all who have responded, I will let you know of the outcome.

sa