Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Routerless Broadband ICS

Routerless Broadband ICS

Dave Hardenbrook

Is it possible to share a broadband Internet connection bewteen multiple
PCs, without a hub/router, but in a manner analogous to sharing a dial-
up connection, by replacing the dial-up modem with a second NIC in one
system, something like this?:

....................../-First PC-\......./-2nd PC
Cable/DSL modem --> [] [] --> []
.................. 1st NIC....2nd NIC...NIC in 2nd PC

Dave

John P. Dearing

Dave Hardenbrook wrote:
> Is it possible to share a broadband Internet connection between multiple
> PCs, without a hub/router, but in a manner analogous to sharing a dial-
> up connection, by replacing the dial-up modem with a second NIC in one
> system, something like this?:
>
> ...................../-First PC-\......./-2nd PC
> Cable/DSL modem --> [] [] --> []
> ................. 1st NIC....2nd NIC...NIC in 2nd PC

What you are describing above is called Internet Connection Sharing by
Microsoft. ICS has been is all MS O/S's since Windows 98 Second Edition.

Depending on the kinds of NIC's you have facing each other (NIC2 of PC1
to NIC in PC2) you may need an ethernet crossover cable.

The advantage is that you don't need the $30.00 router.

The disadvantage is that PC1 needs to be on all the time and anytime PC2
wants to access the Internet. Also, PC1 is now exposed to the Internet
and needs to be properly protected, Windows XP's built in Firewall is
insufficient all by itself.

While what you are proposing will work, my question is - WHY?

Routers are so cheap and so darned reliable plus they provide that first
line of defense against all the nasties out there on the Internet.

John
--
John Dearing
A+, Network+, Server+

Mister

I could give an answer equivalent to what you would hear from the show
"The Big Bang Theory", but I have to agree with Watzman and Dearing on
this one.