Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > The Vista Dancing Lesson

The Vista Dancing Lesson

Tony

For everyone that is complaining about certain devices that do not have Vista drivers, what is the
big deal about buying new ones that do? A DVD Rom drive is $20 or so. A new Soundblaster card is
probably $20-25. A new motherboard that does support Vista is only about $45. And since we all read
this newsgroup, I assume most of you can do the work yourself. So, even with those three items, it
will cost about $85. If that is too much to spend, then I would not advise buying Vista. You do not
need it. Many users just want to be the first to get something but that is not always a good idea.

As I said in a previous post, this happens with every OS release. Vista is no exception. Device
manufacturers have to catch up to the OS.

Tony

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 11:22:31 -0400, Patty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 12:05:40 GMT, smackedass wrote:
>
>> I got it, I like it. It's not perfect, but...
>>
>> The main thing, I believe, to be careful about is when installing it onto a
>> computer that isn't brand new. Microsoft always downplays the system
>> requirements, and they really did, this time. Especially for the graphics
>> card, most pre-2007 computers just won't have a sufficient graphics card to
>> support the new graphics, which are outstanding. Also, it is very RAM
>> intensive. I wanted to be familiar with the OS quickly, didn't want to f***
>> around, so back in May, I just bought a brand new Inspiron E1505 from Dell,
>> with 2 Gigs of RAM. Generally, it's a nice experience. It's crashed 3
>> times since May, and there are a few other flies in the ointment, but it's
>> good.
>>
>> And, indeed, many third-party drivers aren't ready for Vista, but they'll
>> have to be, sooner or later.
>>
>> smackedass

>And, the NForce2 motherboards are left out totally, because NVidia decided
>not to do Vista drivers for them (I have 2 of them). That said, I won't be
>upgrading to Vista in any near future date, which I feel is bad since I do
>have my A+ and my knowledge of Vista issues will be very limited, but I
>just can't afford to buy a new computer right now. My husband lost his
>job, and we've gone from two incomes down to one. Btw, he's over 55, only
>has a high school diploma and worked in factories (the same job for the
>last 30 years) all his life. So, no, he's not employable I figure due to
>age and lack of education. But, I digress here.
>
>I'm disappointed that so much hardware is left without Vista drivers, but,
>as I recall, the same type of thing happened when XP came out, didn't it?
>
>Patty
>A+ 2006
>Now working on Network+

Patty

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 12:52:29 -0400, Tony wrote:

> For everyone that is complaining about certain devices that do not have Vista drivers, what is the
> big deal about buying new ones that do? A DVD Rom drive is $20 or so. A new Soundblaster card is
> probably $20-25. A new motherboard that does support Vista is only about $45. And since we all read
> this newsgroup, I assume most of you can do the work yourself. So, even with those three items, it
> will cost about $85. If that is too much to spend, then I would not advise buying Vista. You do not
> need it. Many users just want to be the first to get something but that is not always a good idea.
>
> As I said in a previous post, this happens with every OS release. Vista is no exception. Device
> manufacturers have to catch up to the OS.
>
> Tony

What about a CPU to go into that new motherboard? What about RAM? I don't
think my DDR RAM will work in a board that needs DDR2 or higher. Can't run
a computer with just a motherboard, soundcard and DVD-ROM drive. You
oversimplify.

I agree that every new major OS upgrade makes some hardware obsolete. I'm
not arguing that point. I'm just saying that right now, for me, when I can
barely make the house payment and buy groceries, there's not even a new DVD
ROM drive in my future.

Patty

Tony

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 13:02:36 -0400, Patty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 12:52:29 -0400, Tony wrote:
>
>> For everyone that is complaining about certain devices that do not have Vista drivers, what is the
>> big deal about buying new ones that do? A DVD Rom drive is $20 or so. A new Soundblaster card is
>> probably $20-25. A new motherboard that does support Vista is only about $45. And since we all read
>> this newsgroup, I assume most of you can do the work yourself. So, even with those three items, it
>> will cost about $85. If that is too much to spend, then I would not advise buying Vista. You do not
>> need it. Many users just want to be the first to get something but that is not always a good idea.
>>
>> As I said in a previous post, this happens with every OS release. Vista is no exception. Device
>> manufacturers have to catch up to the OS.
>>
>> Tony

>What about a CPU to go into that new motherboard? What about RAM? I don't
>think my DDR RAM will work in a board that needs DDR2 or higher. Can't run
>a computer with just a motherboard, soundcard and DVD-ROM drive. You
>oversimplify.
>
>I agree that every new major OS upgrade makes some hardware obsolete. I'm
>not arguing that point. I'm just saying that right now, for me, when I can
>barely make the house payment and buy groceries, there's not even a new DVD
>ROM drive in my future.
>
>Patty

You mentioned in an earlier post that the nvidia(?) chipset on your motherboard did not support
Vista. That sounded like that was stopping you Vista installation from being successful. When I
said to get another motherboard, I meant to get the same socket size but a different chipset (one
that does support Vista). No need for anothre CPU or memory. Just try to match the specs of your
current motherboard with another one with the chipset you need. Simple.

If you are struggling that much with bills, you then the Vista upgrade should not be in the near
future for you either. Just stick with XP until you are in a better place financially to upgrade.

Tony

smackedass

"Tony" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> For everyone that is complaining about certain devices that do not have
> Vista drivers, what is the
> big deal about buying new ones that do? A DVD Rom drive is $20 or so. A
> new Soundblaster card is
> probably $20-25. A new motherboard that does support Vista is only about
> $45. And since we all read
> this newsgroup, I assume most of you can do the work yourself. So, even
> with those three items, it
> will cost about $85. If that is too much to spend, then I would not advise
> buying Vista. You do not
> need it. Many users just want to be the first to get something but that is
> not always a good idea.

Certainly I agree in theory, that anyone that's interested in this thread
ought to be able to do a home-made upgrade, but, practically speaking, at
this point it's more of a hobby or an experiment than a 1-2-3 proposition.
Sure, some of us may have the time/budget/inclination to do this, but what
happens if (when) something goes wrong? How many people want to experience
the inconvenience and aggravation of the possibility of the whole
newly-assembled system not working, for whatever reason? Yes, we all learn
from challenges, but if somebody has one working computer, do they really
want to go out on that limb? It requires a WORKING computer to download
drivers and conduct research.

I have no regrets for having put down $1358 for the Vista Dell laptop from
whence this post is being typed. At least I'll have a plain point of
reference when the day arrives that I do have to upgrade an old box. And,
it looks pretty darn good when I go on client calls and whip this baby out,
the understated impression is that I am the Man In The Know, and the Man To
Know when the client us considering the upgrade.

sa

Patty

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 23:43:46 -0400, Tony wrote:

> You mentioned in an earlier post that the nvidia(?) chipset on your motherboard did not support
> Vista. That sounded like that was stopping you Vista installation from being successful. When I
> said to get another motherboard, I meant to get the same socket size but a different chipset (one
> that does support Vista). No need for anothre CPU or memory. Just try to match the specs of your
> current motherboard with another one with the chipset you need. Simple.
>
> If you are struggling that much with bills, you then the Vista upgrade should not be in the near
> future for you either. Just stick with XP until you are in a better place financially to upgrade.
>
> Tony

I don't know that you can buy SocketA motherboards anymore, at least any
with chipsets that Vista would support. At the time I bought my board,
NForce2 was the newest. Shortly after that, SocketA boards began
disappearing. When you heard it was an NForce2 board you should have
realized that perhaps the board is fairly old technology-wise and perhaps
the CPU and RAM technology is much different from what is available now (4
years later). You cannot assume that because someone says Vista does not
support their chipset, they can find a newer board with a newer chipset
that will take all the same parts (CPU and RAM) and will be supported. I
just found your response a bit flippant.

No, I do not plan on getting Vista, and mostly because of the hardware
issue, not my financial issue (I could probably spring for a Vista Upgrade
version, but not when you add in all the additional hardware purchases I
would also have to make). I only mentioned that being A+ certified, it
will limit my ability to work with Vista systems since I have no experience
with them or the OS and because of that, I was disappointed.

I also mentioned that this is common with most major OS upgrades. A
similar situation existed with XP when it came out.

Patty
A+ 2006
Studying for Network+

Tony

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 09:16:23 -0400, Patty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 23:43:46 -0400, Tony wrote:
>
>> You mentioned in an earlier post that the nvidia(?) chipset on your motherboard did not support
>> Vista. That sounded like that was stopping you Vista installation from being successful. When I
>> said to get another motherboard, I meant to get the same socket size but a different chipset (one
>> that does support Vista). No need for anothre CPU or memory. Just try to match the specs of your
>> current motherboard with another one with the chipset you need. Simple.
>>
>> If you are struggling that much with bills, you then the Vista upgrade should not be in the near
>> future for you either. Just stick with XP until you are in a better place financially to upgrade.
>>
>> Tony

>I don't know that you can buy SocketA motherboards anymore, at least any
>with chipsets that Vista would support. At the time I bought my board,
>NForce2 was the newest. Shortly after that, SocketA boards began
>disappearing. When you heard it was an NForce2 board you should have
>realized that perhaps the board is fairly old technology-wise and perhaps
>the CPU and RAM technology is much different from what is available now (4
>years later). You cannot assume that because someone says Vista does not
>support their chipset, they can find a newer board with a newer chipset
>that will take all the same parts (CPU and RAM) and will be supported. I
>just found your response a bit flippant.
>
>No, I do not plan on getting Vista, and mostly because of the hardware
>issue, not my financial issue (I could probably spring for a Vista Upgrade
>version, but not when you add in all the additional hardware purchases I
>would also have to make). I only mentioned that being A+ certified, it
>will limit my ability to work with Vista systems since I have no experience
>with them or the OS and because of that, I was disappointed.
>
>I also mentioned that this is common with most major OS upgrades. A
>similar situation existed with XP when it came out.
>
>Patty
>A+ 2006
>Studying for Network+

I had no idea you had a socket A motherboard. I have been in my own repair business since 2003,
fixed thousands of computers and I never came across an nforce2 chipset. I personally used Intel or
Via chipsets when I used to build computers. I am not familiar with every chipset out there, nor do
I need to be, so that explains why I didnt put 2 and 2 together and realize you had socket A, which
is long gone. I dont think I can even get socket 939 Athlon or Socket 478 P4 boards.All pretty much
yesterday's news. Plus, I would never use AMD for anything. Intel blows them away in my opinion and
all of the video editing stuff I does not support anything on AMD. I only built two or three AMDs
for others. Otherwise, I always recommend Intel especially the AMD is known to fry in seconds if the
cpu fan gives out, which is what happens to all of the AMD computers that come into my shop.

I am surprised you would even want to upgrade to Vista using such an old motherboard. I saw a Dell
in Walmart for $750 with Vista, Core2 Duo, 2GB DDR2, 160GB SATA, 256MB VGA (may be integrated, not
sure), DVD-RW and 17" widescreen LCD. You can probably buy that for $600 without the LCD. Dirt
cheap.

Tony

Patty

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 00:51:36 -0400, Barry Watzman wrote:

> While we would all like everything old to work with Vista, I bought 3
> ATI video cards on Woot.com for $14.99 each that are 128 meg cards (ATI)
> that work with Vista and support Aero Glass. Some older hardware really
> is "old hardware"; the upgrades don't need to cost that much. You don't
> need a $500 or even a $100 video card to not only run Vista, but run
> Aero Glass. And if you have a card that doesn't, it's shortcomings are
> real and exist even in XP, even you don't use any software that cares
> about it.

I already have a video card (256MB Nvidia) that is Vista capable and also
aero glass capable. However, my problem is the chipset on my motherboard.
I had hoped that more motherboards would be supported, but evidently, that
is not the case (I purchased my motherboard in April, 2004). In case you
haven't been reading the thread, it's an Nvidia chipset and Nvidia has
already stated that they will not write a Vista compatible driver for it
(Nvidia does not just provide chipsets only for video cards).

But, in any case, I can't afford to replace it at this point anyhow so the
issue of Vista, FOR ME, is a moot point.

But again, if I recall correctly, older hardware was also an issue with XP
when it came out and, over time, more and more hardware was replaced with
new that was supported by XP, making XP the mainstream operating system.
While I do believe, that in time, this will also be the case with Vista, I
do know people who are still running Windows98 systems. A lot of business
owners I have talked with are staying with XP because they don't want to
spend the money to upgrade not only the OS, but the hardware and some
software as well.

Patty