Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: Re Freezing Bios screen

Re: Re Freezing Bios screen

Gerard Bok

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 18:02:00 +0100, "Brian G"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>johan jansen wrote:

>> I trying to fix a friends computer where their bios screen freeze
>> interminatly and very infrequently .
>>
>> I have so far tested the output of the power supply which all checks
>> out with a multimeter .

>> Could anybody else suggest any other likely causes ? I am thinking is
>> could be the motherboard itself hope I am wrong.

Motherboard: check for elco's near the CPU. If you see bulged
aluminium caps, that's your problem!
If you see fluid or white powder near the bottom of the elco's,
that's the same problem.
(Elco's are tubular devices with a round aluminium cap on the end
and a plastic coating.)

>I have just had such a problem where the screen froze at the Verifying DMI
>Pool Data point

That's a very common situation.
Your bios probably has an option 'reset DMI pool' or something
like that. Select it. You have a good chance this will 'fix' the
problem. (This option will reset itself. Enabling it will only
affect the next boot.)

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

smackedass

> Motherboard: check for elco's near the CPU. If you see bulged
> aluminium caps, that's your problem!

Gerard,

What are "elcos"?

sa

Gerard Bok

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 14:28:47 GMT, "smackedass"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Motherboard: check for elco's near the CPU. If you see bulged
>> aluminium caps, that's your problem!

>Gerard,
>
>What are "elcos"?

Short for: Electrolytic Capacitor