Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Why Do Encryption Schemes Sometimes Not Work?

Why Do Encryption Schemes Sometimes Not Work?

smackedass

Hello,

This is a general query that I would like to submit, and for the sake of
generality, I will not specify operating system types (beyond to say that
they're either XP or Vista), computer types (beyond to say that they're all
as recent as the XP "era"), network adapter types, router types, etc. I may
provide more detail upon request.

How come sometimes WEP will work, but WPA won't? How come sometimes I can
set up a wireless network, but cannot even use WEP? Can anyone point me to
an article/articles that discuss this matter? While I always attempt to set
up any
network as securely as possible, sometimes I must resort to a more
forgiving scheme, much to my regret.

Any replies are appreciated.

Thank you,

smackedass

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Wireless security must always match between the Wireless source and the
client. As an example if you are connected to a Wireless source that is
configured as WEP you must use WEP.
From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
No Security
MAC
WEP
WPA-PSK
WPA-AES
WPA2
Computers Card) should state the type of security that is available with
your Wireless hardware.
phrase.
of one of the Wireless devices.
device with a better one.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"smackedass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Hello,
>
> This is a general query that I would like to submit, and for the sake of
> generality, I will not specify operating system types (beyond to say that
> they're either XP or Vista), computer types (beyond to say that they're
> all
> as recent as the XP "era"), network adapter types, router types, etc. I
> may
> provide more detail upon request.
>
> How come sometimes WEP will work, but WPA won't? How come sometimes I can
> set up a wireless network, but cannot even use WEP? Can anyone point me
> an article/articles that discuss this matter? While I always attempt to
> set up any
> network as securely as possible, sometimes I must resort to a more
> forgiving scheme, much to my regret.
>
> Any replies are appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> smackedass

smackedass

Thank you for your reply. The "pecking order" and the link are especially
informative.

My most recent experience with this issue, which prompted me to post my
query, involved a wireless router (which does allow WEP and two forms of
WPA); the wireless network card in question, according to the folks at
Belkin, does support WEP and WPA. When I set the router to WEP, the
wireless node indeed recognizes and finds the SSID; however, when I enter
the phrase and click on "Connect", it just times out. If the phrase was
incorrect, I would expect some type of failed authentication message, but
this doesn't happen.

The Belkin guy also told me to try static IPs, I'll give that a go...

My customers told me that at one time, they had a technician over who
couldn't get anything going, at all, so to them, I look golden; however,
they don't know the importance of encryption as well as do I. They actually
just called me and I have to go back over there, so I'll have another
look...

Thanks, again,

smackedass

(Kema Computer Consulting
Kenneth E. Newton, Proprietor
P.O. Box 791
Harwich Port, MA 02646
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) )

Jim

> Thank you for your reply. The "pecking order" and the link are especially
> informative.
>
> My most recent experience with this issue, which prompted me to post my
> query, involved a wireless router (which does allow WEP and two forms of
> WPA); the wireless network card in question, according to the folks at
> Belkin, does support WEP and WPA. When I set the router to WEP, the
> wireless node indeed recognizes and finds the SSID; however, when I enter
> the phrase and click on "Connect", it just times out. If the phrase was
> incorrect, I would expect some type of failed authentication message, but
> this doesn't happen.

Neither my Linksys router nor my Intel card give any kind of message if the
authentication failed.
It took me three tries to get my laptop connected despite having the
encryption string in front of me.
I am using WAP-TKP.

> The Belkin guy also told me to try static IPs, I'll give that a go...

Why did he believe that would make a difference?

> My customers told me that at one time, they had a technician over who
> couldn't get anything going, at all, so to them, I look golden; however,
> they don't know the importance of encryption as well as do I. They
> actually just called me and I have to go back over there, so I'll have
> another look...
>
> Thanks, again,
>
> smackedass
>
> (Kema Computer Consulting
> Kenneth E. Newton, Proprietor
> P.O. Box 791
> Harwich Port, MA 02646
> (E-Mail Removed) )

Sometimes the wireless works fine. Every now and then it dies. I have been
unable to connect even when the
laptop was in the same room. Most of the time, like right now, the laptop
is at least 25 feet away.

My problems seem to be weather related, but it is raining outside right now,
and signal is said to be Very Good.

Jim

Patty

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:35:27 -0500, Jim wrote:

> Sometimes the wireless works fine. Every now and then it dies. I have been
> unable to connect even when the
> laptop was in the same room. Most of the time, like right now, the laptop
> is at least 25 feet away.
>
> My problems seem to be weather related, but it is raining outside right now,
> and signal is said to be Very Good.
>
> Jim

I know that various things can upset the wireless connection. For
instance, 2.4GHz cordless phones. Since they're on the same frequency as
the wireless (oops!) they always knock my wireless out when I'm using the
phone. Other than that, my wireless works great and I'm using a Linksys
WAP connected to a wired router (which I already had for my wired system).
I can connect to the internet even from outside on the deck which is about
20 feet or so away from the access point and through 3 walls. I use
WPA-TKIP encryption.

Patty

Mister

I've had a few WEP connections where the PC did not like the text
phrase, but when the phrase was entered has Hex it worked fine.