Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > File System unknown

File System unknown

Tony

I do a lot of data recovery from hard drives that seem to have bitten the dust. Usually, a drive
that can no longer boot to windows and XP setup (recovery console) sees no drive can still be
saved. I have had about a 95% success rate.

I remove the drive and install it into another computer. Disk Management sees the drive and
sometimes there is a drive letter but usally, the file system is unknown. In other words, it sees
the drive, knows it's size, has a letter but it does not know if it is formatted ntfs or fat32.

My usual method is to format the drive and use my choice of data recovery software to get the data
back (and almost always works). The downside is that sometimes, it renames the files Recovered File
01, Recovered File 02, Recovered File 03, etc. Most customers do not care about that since they just
got their precious lost data back.

Is there another way to solve this problem by letting XP know that the drive is formatted already. I
was in the middle of doing a recovery the other day and a few minutes in, it said that a file could
not be accessed. When I tried to click on the drive, it was no longer accessible (corrupt or
damaged). Again, I can do it my way and format the drive but I want to avoid the renamed files. Is
the MBR damaged? What causes Windows to all of a sudden, not know the file system of a drive?

Tony

Adam Leinss

Tony <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Is there another way to solve this problem by letting XP know that
> the drive is formatted already. I was in the middle of doing a
> recovery the other day and a few minutes in, it said that a file
> could not be accessed. When I tried to click on the drive, it was
> no longer accessible (corrupt or damaged). Again, I can do it my
> way and format the drive but I want to avoid the renamed files. Is
> the MBR damaged? What causes Windows to all of a sudden, not know
> the file system of a drive?

We have a lot of remote laptop users, so I'll share some of my
thoughts.

I usually use BartPE to look at the drive. Sometimes the data is
there, sometimes it's not. I generally do not move the drive to
another system to minimize any "stresses" on it.

Sometimes I can copy the data from BartPE to the network, other times I
have to use GetDataBack. GetDataBack actually recontructs the file
system itself, so there's no need to format the disk.

My success is also good, but we had two uses with head crashes and we
had to send those to Ontrack. Even then, only about 33% of the data
was recovered.

Adam
--
Visit my PC Tech blog at www.leinss.com/blog

Tony

Thanks for the reply Adam. I have been using Recover My Files. I havent tried GetDataBack. I will
try Should I assume that it is included in BartPE?

Unfortunately, the drive I was trying to recover (with the unknown file system) went completely
dead. No spin. Nothing. I was able to get about 300MB before it died but there is a chance the IC
board shorted out or something. It was inside of a usb enclosure so it did not make any contact and
no part of the drive was exposed, so it may have just been the last straw for the drive.

Tony

'On Mon, 21 May 2007 15:57:34 GMT, Adam Leinss <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tony <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> Is there another way to solve this problem by letting XP know that
>> the drive is formatted already. I was in the middle of doing a
>> recovery the other day and a few minutes in, it said that a file
>> could not be accessed. When I tried to click on the drive, it was
>> no longer accessible (corrupt or damaged). Again, I can do it my
>> way and format the drive but I want to avoid the renamed files. Is
>> the MBR damaged? What causes Windows to all of a sudden, not know
>> the file system of a drive?

>We have a lot of remote laptop users, so I'll share some of my
>thoughts.
>
>I usually use BartPE to look at the drive. Sometimes the data is
>there, sometimes it's not. I generally do not move the drive to
>another system to minimize any "stresses" on it.
>
>Sometimes I can copy the data from BartPE to the network, other times I
>have to use GetDataBack. GetDataBack actually recontructs the file
>system itself, so there's no need to format the disk.
>
>My success is also good, but we had two uses with head crashes and we
>had to send those to Ontrack. Even then, only about 33% of the data
>was recovered.
>
>Adam

Adam Leinss

Tony <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Thanks for the reply Adam. I have been using Recover My Files. I
> havent tried GetDataBack. I will try Should I assume that it is
> included in BartPE?

I run it within BartPE, but it does not come with BartPE. There is a
demo copy that you can try out at www.runtime.org. It will allow you
recover small files in the demo version.

Adam
--

On Sun, 27 May 2007 15:47:41 GMT, Adam Leinss <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tony <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> Thanks for the reply Adam. I have been using Recover My Files. I
>> havent tried GetDataBack. I will try Should I assume that it is
>> included in BartPE?

>I run it within BartPE, but it does not come with BartPE. There is a
>demo copy that you can try out at www.runtime.org. It will allow you
>recover small files in the demo version.
>
>Adam

So, what do you do? Boot into BartsPE on one cd rom drive and then have GetbackData.exe on another?

Tony

Adam Leinss

Tony <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> So, what do you do? Boot into BartsPE on one cd rom drive and then
> have GetbackData.exe on another?
>
> Tony

I actually burned it to the CD running BartPE.

--
Visit my PC Tech blog at www.leinss.com/blog

Joep

"Tony" <(E-Mail Removed) > schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I remove the drive and install it into another computer.

Which is a good idea. Preferably recover the data on a machine you know to
be good.

> Disk Management sees the drive and
> sometimes there is a drive letter but usally, the file system is unknown.
> In other words, it sees
> the drive, knows it's size, has a letter but it does not know if it is
> formatted ntfs or fat32.
>
> My usual method is to format the drive and use my choice of data recovery
> software to get the data
> back (and almost always works).

That's not too smart, the reformatting I mean. Any good data recovery
software should be able to 'guess' the actual file system even when the boot
sector can not be relied on.

> The downside is that sometimes, it renames the files Recovered File
> 01, Recovered File 02, Recovered File 03, etc. Most customers do not care
> about that since they just
> got their precious lost data back ...

.... And have a lot of time on their hands to go through 100's of files and
rename them?

Appearantly your software then ran in RAW mode: Rather than relying on 'file
system structures' it relies on 'internal file structures': It can determine
file type but not actual filenames because those are stored in the file
system.

> Is there another way to solve this problem by letting XP know that the
> drive is formatted already. I
> was in the middle of doing a recovery the other day and a few minutes in,
> it said that a file could
> not be accessed. When I tried to click on the drive, it was no longer
> accessible (corrupt or
> damaged).

Often this type of thing is boot-sector related, and again often, this can
be fixed 'in-place'.

Example NTFS boot sector repair:
http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/dp_man...fsbsrepair.htm

Example FAT(32) boot sector repair:
http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/dp_man...atbsrepair.htm

Specially for the A+ techs in this group: Coupon for 10% discount on
DiskPatch Pro: DIYD-CJFC-CP. See more DiskPatch examples at:
http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/dp_manual/guides_main.htm

> Again, I can do it my way and format the drive but I want to avoid the
> renamed files. Is
> the MBR damaged?

Prolly not no, but theoretically partition table could be pointing to wrong
LBA address. Windows will interpret sector pointed to as a boot sector, and
if it can't will tell you that the drive isn't formatted.
In this case you can rebuild the partition table.

Example partition table repair / partition recovery:
http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/dp_man...e_ptrepair.htm

> What causes Windows to all of a sudden, not know the file system of a
> drive?

Buggy software, bad cables, bad memory, no support for large disks (48 bit
LBA addressing), can be a lot of things.

--
Kind regards,
Joep - DIY DataRecovery.nl

http://www.diydatarecovery.nl

Important: When replying to this mail, please include previous
correspondence!

Joep

"Adam Leinss" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:Xns99376F7DBB006aleinsstoughguy@140.99.99.138 ...
> Tony <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

> We have a lot of remote laptop users, so I'll share some of my
> thoughts.
>
> I usually use BartPE to look at the drive. Sometimes the data is
> there, sometimes it's not. I generally do not move the drive to
> another system to minimize any "stresses" on it.

A disk handles with care does not cause stress. Although leaving the disk in
original machine can have advantages and may be an only option, in a
professional situation there are also good arguments for moving the disk to
a known-to-be-good machine.

--
Kind regards,
Joep - DIY DataRecovery.nl