Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Long IDE detection times

Long IDE detection times

Dave Hardenbrook

If at POST it takes a long time to detect the IDE devices (30 sec. or
longer), is this a sign that the IDE controller is not long for this
world?

Dave

Gerard Bok

On Thu, 10 May 2007 19:02:01 GMT, Dave Hardenbrook
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If at POST it takes a long time to detect the IDE devices (30 sec. or
>longer), is this a sign that the IDE controller is not long for this
>world?

Or one of the drives is POSTing it's imminent dismissal

The answer is S.M.A.R.T.
The drive is gonne tell you if its failing, the controller won't.

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

Jonathan.M.Barton@gmail.com

On 5月11日, 午前4:02, Dave Hardenbrook <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> If at POST it takes a long time to detect the IDE devices (30 sec. or
> longer), is this a sign that the IDE controller is not long for this
> world?
>
> Dave

It may just be how your POST handles the device load up and display of
information.
Check BIOS settings for anything that might turn off extended bootup.
Sometimes this setting exists and
people dont know its on.

Jon
www.jonbarton.net

Your name

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:

> On 5月11日, 午前4:02, Dave Hardenbrook
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> If at POST it takes a long time to detect the IDE devices (30 sec. or
>> longer), is this a sign that the IDE controller is not long for this
>> world?
>>
>> Dave

> It may just be how your POST handles the device load up and display of
> information.
> Check BIOS settings for anything that might turn off extended bootup.
> Sometimes this setting exists and
> people dont know its on.
>
> Jon
> www.jonbarton.net

Play with the master/slave jumper or take it completely off, that is what
cured my long ide detection time.

John P. Dearing

Dave Hardenbrook wrote:
> If at POST it takes a long time to detect the IDE devices (30 sec. or
> longer), is this a sign that the IDE controller is not long for this
> world?

Not necessarily. What it usually means is that you have an IDE device
set for master and there is no slave device on that IDE channel.

Check the documentation for that device as well as the physical cabling
configuration and look to see if there is a "stand alone" or "master
with no slave" option.

The motherboard is trying to autodetect the device(s) on the IDE
channel. If the master is optioned as if there is supposed to be a slave
present, the IDE controller will keep looking fir the slave until it
finally times out and moves on.

John
--
John Dearing