Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Opinion Needed! TIA

Opinion Needed! TIA

Buddy Boy

Hi All,

I was recently laid off and I now have some time to work on a
certification(s). My last job involved PC support, software support, Crystal
Reports development and some basic network admin tasks (ie configuration of
customer firewalls,etc). I would like to take some time and learn the
network/systems side better. I have worked with computers for 10 years, but
have never had the chance work with network hardware (ie cabling, routers,
switches, firewalls) and do network admin. Would studying for and taking the
CompTIA Network+ exam be helpful? Or, is there another certification or
training program that would allow me to get my feet wet from home???

Thanks very much for any and all replies!

JohnO

On May 2, 2:20 pm, "Buddy Boy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was recently laid off and I now have some time to work on a
> certification(s). My last job involved PC support, software support, Crystal
> Reports development and some basic network admin tasks (ie configuration of
> customer firewalls,etc). I would like to take some time and learn the
> network/systems side better. I have worked with computers for 10 years, but
> have never had the chance work with network hardware (ie cabling, routers,
> switches, firewalls) and do network admin. Would studying for and taking the
> CompTIA Network+ exam be helpful? Or, is there another certification or
> training program that would allow me to get my feet wet from home???
>
> Thanks very much for any and all replies!

Studying for Net+ is probably a good start. Keep in mind that it's
more about what those things are than how to actually implement and
use them. Being a vendor-neutral cert, they have to focus on generic
subjects rather than how to configure a particulaar firewall or
router. But that's not a bad thing...

-John O

Buddy Boy

Thanks for the reply JohnO! Anyone else have any thoughts?

Also, is there a Microsoft exam that is similar to the CompTIA Network+
exam? I think there was a Network Essentials exam a while back?

And last but not least, what is the best exam guide for the CompTIA Network+
exam? I hear the Mike Myers book is good?

"JohnO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On May 2, 2:20 pm, "Buddy Boy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I was recently laid off and I now have some time to work on a
>> certification(s). My last job involved PC support, software support,
>> Crystal
>> Reports development and some basic network admin tasks (ie configuration
>> of
>> customer firewalls,etc). I would like to take some time and learn the
>> network/systems side better. I have worked with computers for 10 years,
>> but
>> have never had the chance work with network hardware (ie cabling,
>> routers,
>> switches, firewalls) and do network admin. Would studying for and taking
>> the
>> CompTIA Network+ exam be helpful? Or, is there another certification or
>> training program that would allow me to get my feet wet from home???
>>
>> Thanks very much for any and all replies!

> Studying for Net+ is probably a good start. Keep in mind that it's
> more about what those things are than how to actually implement and
> use them. Being a vendor-neutral cert, they have to focus on generic
> subjects rather than how to configure a particulaar firewall or
> router. But that's not a bad thing...
>
> -John O

John P. Dearing

Buddy Boy wrote:
> Thanks for the reply JohnO! Anyone else have any thoughts?
>
> Also, is there a Microsoft exam that is similar to the CompTIA Network+
> exam? I think there was a Network Essentials exam a while back?

The Networking Essentials exam is long retired. But Microsoft will
accept the combination of A+ & Net+ or A+ and Server+ as partial credit
towards the MCSA certification. More details at the Microsoft Training site.

> And last but not least, what is the best exam guide for the CompTIA Network+
> exam? I hear the Mike Myers book is good?

I teach A+ and Net+ and have been using the Sybex Network+ Study Guide
by David Groth, et. al. for the last few years. It is an excellent study
guide. It provides adequate treatment of all the exam objectives without
going overboard on unnecessary detail. There is a "deluxe" edition which
also includes a network simulator program that lets you setup sample
networks on your PC and see what happens. We use that book as I find it
to be an excellent "value add" to the training class. Both editions
include the text on a CD/ROM and exam practice simulations.

Just my $0.02.

John
--
John Dearing