Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Motherboard

Motherboard

teak

I am about to replace a motherboard, MATX, it calls for AMD socket
S754 64bit. Can I use any fitting the description? Would I be able to
use my old cooling fan and would I have to buy cooling grease?

Thanks

Adebisi

On Apr 17, 9:16 pm, teak <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am about to replace a motherboard, MATX, it calls for AMD socket
> S754 64bit. Can I use any fitting the description? Would I be able to
> use my old cooling fan and would I have to buy cooling grease?
>
> Thanks

I assume you mean "micro ATX". I am also assuming you need a new mobo
to work with your old processor, so go to the manufacturer website,
and check to see if your old processor is specifically supported by
the mobo you want before you order.

You can use your old fan if you are using the same old processor,
sure. But since you are mucking around in there anyway, its agood
time to clean away the old CPU heatsink grease and apply new stuff.
That stuff doesn't work forever.

Adebisi

While you are at it you may want to be sure your new mobo supports the
type of video card you are currently using (AGP, PCI-E, etc..) and the
type of RAM you are currently using.