Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Did I fry the monitor

Did I fry the monitor

kony

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 19:47:22 -0500, Barry Watzman
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It's possible to buy new 19" LCD monitors for not much more than $100.

True but do you want to use one of those for your primary
display? IMO, a monitor's quality is vital enough to spend
a bit more, even if only to get an average unit instead of
low end.

Tony

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 16:19:07 GMT, "smackedass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello again,
>
>I was working on a customer's computer the other day, swapping out modems,
>network cards, etc. After each time that I shut the computer down, I
>unplugged all of the peripherals, the power, etc. But I left the monitor
>on, while I unplugged and plugged the monitor cable from and to the VGA
>port.
>
>You know where this is going.
>
>After about the third or 4th reboot, the monitor stopped working. I shut it
>off, and on again, the light just blinks, and keeps blinking.

maybe you fried the VGA card. Plug the monitor to another computer and see if it works. That will
solve that problem.

Tony

Dont give him $100 credit. Replace the monitor. You could find one for $100 new and he wont be out
any more money. Plus, he wont have to be put out to go out and buy one.

Tony

kony

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 00:06:14 -0500, Tony
<(E-Mail Removed) > wrote:

>Dont give him $100 credit. Replace the monitor. You could find one for $100 new and he wont be out
>any more money. Plus, he wont have to be put out to go out and buy one.
>
>Tony

Maybe he didn't want a crap $100 monitor?

smackedass

Then, kony wrote:

> Maybe he didn't want a crap $100 monitor?

Sorry, too late, I gave him a $75 credit, he's more than happy.

The monitor was 3 years old. I don't know the 3 year depreciation value of
a monitor, but it has to be considerable. I will also help him find a
suitable deal for what he needs, on my own time. I'll also unpack it and
set it up for him, pro bono. Right now, he's using an old CRT that he had
sitting around in his store.

The guy is also in business, he asembles and sells boats. During our
conversation, he mentioned that this sort of thing has also happened to him,
he understands, and appreciates my impartation.

Thanks for replying.

sa